1999 AWD Safari corrosion project

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

1999 AWD Safari corrosion project

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 25th 2019, 11:15am

Thought i would start a thread as a way to keep focused on my goal of fixing up a new to me 99 safari awd. Like many vans in the rust belt the PO reached a point where it was costing too much to have repaired due to rust issues, and not really being car people they werent able to work on it themselves. They did love the van and sunk some serious money into it before deciding to get rid of it.

Seeing if they could sell it for cheap as a parts vehicle was last stop before sending it to the junkyard per their mechanics recommendation. Fortunately just the right sucker who doesnt mind a little rust came by and fell in love with the van

Body isnt too bad and i think pretty sharp looking color combination for these vans
Attachments
20190503_114546.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 65
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 1999 AWD Safari corrosion project

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 25th 2019, 11:23am

Plan for this van is a 2+1 lift, bigger tires, s10 transfer case, and for now im going to keep it 7 passenger so i can take my daughter and neices surf casting out on the beaches. We all know that what little girls love best is being forced up at 4am hustled into an old van, and jounced around on a sand track to watch dad/uncle not catch anything.

There are several hurdles to doing a aubframe spacer lift though, i need to rebuild the right front body to subframe mount area as thats rotted and dropped about 1.5 inches. I think i can cut the whole section out of my parts van though. Left side crispy but ok
Attachments
20190522_145509.jpg
20190522_143813.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Years of Membership: tinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 25th 2019, 11:27am

The subframe itself is rusty but not rusted through. Its going to be a real job getting the bolts out, and i expect the sandwiched portion of the subframe is probably ruined, so some work ahead there. The bolt head conditions are looking positive though
Attachments
20190524_115356.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 25th 2019, 11:36am

Current hurdle is getting it to pass inspection

Couple pics of replacing all the blown shocks, getting rid of the driver side running board, and getting rid of other nonessential rusty metal. Every day the vans weight gets lower and its performance pedigree improves

Last pic is of the diff cover, will need to replace this and all bolts when i change the oil. The cover is pourus in places

To pass inspection i needed 4 shocks, a new fill pipe which was also pourus, and a new front swaybar which is broken in the typical astro/safari fashion
Attachments
20190522_144522.jpg
20190524_123544.jpg
20190524_125705.jpg
20190522_161025.jpg
20190524_134330.jpg
20190524_140303.jpg
20190524_125715.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 25th 2019, 11:40am

Van as it currently sits sans running board and visor, which i didnt mind until it rained and i discovered many of the fastners had rotted and created rust issues in the roof. Duct tape is doing a much better job keeping the weather out though, should habe sprung for red tape

Looking forward to putting in new springs and torsion bars. The suspension on this van is tired and bottomed out especially in the rear. With new shocks though the ride has gone from death trap to acceptable however
Attachments
20190524_135834.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby tungtide » May 25th 2019, 1:54pm

I for one will be watching. Glad to see you save a 99, I am going down the same road. I haven't even looked at my sub frame or front end. Started at the back. Currently stuck on bumper build. Contemplating the UWharrie rock sliders. Mine is a project so no hurry. Weekend van runs fine and daily driver is Toyota. I REALLY like your sun visor. Thanks again for the pics.
Ken
tungtide
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby tungtide » May 25th 2019, 1:57pm

Just noticed that the last pic is without sun visor. Is that for sale?
Ken
tungtide
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby Leeann_93 » May 25th 2019, 3:25pm

From above, it looks like an awesome van to save. From below, it looks like you shouldn't have bothered. I'm not sure that the good new shocks, springs and torsion bars aren't going to further weaken the rusty areas to which they mount.

I'd love to see it saved, but I seriously wonder whether it's worth it. That is going to be a lot of work.

Not, of course, that I don't want to see you do it ;)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 25th 2019, 9:50pm

Leeann_93 wrote:From above, it looks like an awesome van to save. From below, it looks like you shouldn't have bothered. I'm not sure that the good new shocks, springs and torsion bars aren't going to further weaken the rusty areas to which they mount.

I'd love to see it saved, but I seriously wonder whether it's worth it. That is going to be a lot of work.

Not, of course, that I don't want to see you do it ;)

Its definitely teetering on that line. Things are heavily corroded but actually the structure for all the mounts was fine. I need some new hardware for sure. The subframe is deeply rusted in a few places but otherwise acceptable so far.

In the plus column the original engine in this van failed for some reason, and it has a documented 30k mile crate motor in it, with about 170k on the body. Runs and shifts very well.

Also at probably enormous expense, the PO had every single brake line on the van replaced just a few months prior to selling it.

I figure if i follow the strategy of keeping my focus narrow and just cleaning up and painting/fixing/replacing bits in specific areas one at a time, sooner or later the teetering on the balance will shift to having a pretty decent vehicle
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):