The Blue Beast 2003 AWD Safari

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: The Blue Beast 2003 AWD Safari

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » March 13th 2020, 4:24am

LSX????????
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS Swap

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 13th 2020, 8:47am

We will dive into that dream a bit later :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 14th 2020, 11:17pm

USPS was kind enough to fold my gaskets for me.

Bolts for the coil bracket to replace that rivets that were removed, $2 or something like that, m4 and either 25 or 30mm long x2. Might was well do it while it's out instead of when needed on the side of the road.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby 90safari » March 15th 2020, 12:09am

AstroWill wrote:USPS was kind enough to fold my gaskets for me.

I guess a phone call is in order to get somebody to replace them, since they were damaged in shipping.
I hate when that happens. It's almost as bad as getting the wrong parts.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 15th 2020, 12:20pm

Yep, just sucks as it delays the repair, such a waste of time. There is a reason they ship them in a box instead of a bag, but #2 happens. If I were truly in a hurry, I would spend the extra $35 and buy them locally. I'm not in that much of a hurry :)

On the bright side, I guess I could let my son install them anyway as a practice run.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby disloyalpick » March 15th 2020, 3:20pm

If they seal properly I would leave em' in, but the odds of them making a proper seal is slim... lol
disloyalpick
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 15th 2020, 8:58pm

Yea, the metal will have stretched from being bent, etc etc. Will just order a new set regardless.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 23rd 2020, 1:27pm

Removed the smaller hitch from the beast

Stole the one from my 03POS to put on BB. Can barely read the model number, but it's Reese 44010 It's starting to get some surface rust on the sides, my son did a great job sanding/cleaning/painting the battery tray, so I'm going to have him do the same to this one before it gets mounted. Will be a lot easier than that battery tray.

Ordered some new yellow zinc m10-1.50 grade 10.9 flange head bolts for installing the hitch, Reese includes 35mm bolts and washers with the hitch when new, I used all 10.9 the last time it was installed.

Here are the installation notes:

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Rockridge » March 30th 2020, 6:28pm

Looks nice, I don't think I've seen a blue with blue cladding van before..
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 30th 2020, 6:33pm

Rockridge wrote:Looks nice, I don't think I've seen a blue with blue cladding van before..

:rofl:

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 8th 2021, 12:01am

Removing the rear heater, guess what happened to the heater control valve. Yep, stared at it pretty intently and it cracked, as expected.

RA has the 4 and 6 port valves, $8 and $10 respectively, plus ~$10 shipping. So if you are planning on touching anything near those valves, order yours ahead of time.

Ended up dropping by HD to get some couplings for like $2-3 each so I could throw it back together until the valve arrives.

Someone had mentioned a metal valve before, don't know if that was ever verified or whatever, but I just figured if the replacement lasts as long as the original, then I'm fine with plastic for the price.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 16th 2021, 10:30pm

So I decided that it was time to install the diesel heater into the BB. I wanted to keep a stock appearance, as much as possible. So I removed the original rear heat blower/core/etc. I had considered mounting the entire unit just under the body in that area but decided against it. Unlike the $1200-1500 Webasto/Espar units, the controls are not sealed in these el cheapo units. I think I ended up paying just over $100 for this unit after they refunded some $ for a missing part, so for me the savings is pretty significant even though it is made a bit cheaper. If this one dies after X years, I would have no problem ordering up another one for $150 from Ebay or Amazon to replace this one.

Putting the new diesel heater in it's place seemed like it was going to be pretty easy. Being just right to fit behind the factory cover. So I trimmed back the carpet.

Checked the underside of the sheet metal to ensure that there was going to be room for the intake/exhaust/mounting. Unfortunately there is some body reinforcement there, which could make it a pain to mount, I wanted the holes as close as possible to that sheet metal to prevent the heater from sticking out too far but still have room for the combustion air supply hose.

I didn't really want to use the mounting plate as the body is nice and flat in that area. I thought about just creating some access holes for the two nuts that would be on the other side of that body reinforcement. Still not 100% decided that I won't go that route, however by using the mounting plate it's possible that I could remove everything from inside the van for maintenance.

So I replaced the mounting studs with some flat screws.

Drilled some holes for the fuel inlet, combustion air intake and exhaust.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 17th 2021, 12:36am

Oh yea, my son also installed the Reese hitch that he had cleaned and painted.
Don't mind that bumper/swing tire carrier/jerry can holders/rack, too narrow :)

Tab continued: $509.28
+$6 transfer case speed sensor output connector
+$10 bolts
+$65 intake gaskets
+$11 coolant
+$2 rear wiper blade
+$2 vacuum tee/check valve
+$5 PCV vent hose
+$6 Knock sensor connector
+$5 partial pack of tape
+$10 random vacuum hoses
+$8.50 4 port heater valve
+150 for diesel heater/bolts/bits/pieces
+$20 various shipping
+$5 paint
+$10 flapper disks
+$6 temporary PEX couplings
=$830.78

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 23rd 2021, 9:37pm

So my son started doing the wheel bearings yesterday, mostly done, still need to grab some red thread locker for the caliper bracket.
The drivers side(right in the picture) was HORRIBLE.

While he was doing that, I pulled the front parking/turn light housing to see why those lights were not working.
Didn't have to look hard, think I found my problem:

Done, well for now anyway.
Not too often that you get to use 300lbft Bertha ;)
Axle nuts are 173lbft

Running total:
$830.78
+$110 for wheel bearings and some red thread locker
$940.78

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 29th 2021, 3:55am

Decided to fix this broken wire:

There was the 1 broken wire, and 1 was ever so slightly nicked, so wiring inside was starting to corrode. Cut out the bad section on the blue wire, and just enough of the black wire to get rid of corrosion.
After soldering and heat shrinking I went ahead and re-wrapped all the wiring in that location. Virtually all of the wiring is going to get re-wrapped eventually.
Also replaced the clip that broke when replacing the blower motor resistor connector, didn't have any on hand at the time.

Also replaced my PEX couplings that were installed when my 6 port heater valve broke, replaced it with a 4 port valve because I removed the rear heater. Though the lines are still in place, didn't remove those yet and I'm in no hurry to make it happen.
$940.78

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Leeann_93 » January 29th 2021, 4:01am

Looks good. Nice job.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby sixsix » January 29th 2021, 8:06pm

I just can't help but say - nice pics and detail work. The running tab is cool too.

( actually, it turned out easier to say than I thought... )

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 30th 2021, 2:34am

Leeann_93 wrote:Looks good. Nice job.

Thanks! It's starting to feel like a normal van.

My son did an engine oil change on it today. Received the lift pucks and a new rubber pad for the brake pedal. Old one definitely wasn't from an Astro/Safari van and slid around too much. This Dorman fit perfectly https://amzn.to/2MhnYZN

$940.78+
$95.65 for two front AWD CV axles
$3.02 brake pedal pad
$24.60 2" lift pucks

New total: $1064.05

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Previous