The Blue Beast 2003 AWD Safari

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: The Blue Beast 2003 AWD Safari

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 30th 2020, 1:30pm

So I did the engine mounts in the BB. Anyone that has done AWD engine mounts knows that they are a PITA, they make the RWD engine mounts feel like easy street. I even started with the 'easy' one, the passenger side. Wasn't planning on doing the drivers side so soon, but I couldn't sleep so in it went.

I don't know if anyone has done a write-up on the AWD engine mounts, would be nice to have all the tips in one thread.

Lets see...
Follow the directions :)
If it's all a big mess under there, clean/pressure wash first, you will thank me later. I regret not doing this but it was cold out when I pulled it into the garage.
You have to remove the starter for the passenger side mount, so make sure to disconnect your battery.
I found it gave me a bit more room to put my hands in there if I zipped the 4 idler arm bolts off.
I also removed all but one of the bolts for the front differential mounts, gave that much more room to work. Don't have to remove it completely, but leaving that one up by the radiator hose allowed to move it out of the way just enough without disconnecting anything other than those 3 bolts.
Leave the through bolts in until you get the bottom two mount bolts out, holds the old rubber insert out of the way so you can actually get a wrench on them. Reinstalling I used a socket, but I couldn't use a socket to remove any of the lower mount bolts because of how smooshed the old rubber insert was.
Make the holes in the new mounts just a c-hair larger, just wallowing it out a tiny amount makes a huge difference when lining up the bolts.
While you have the top of the mount out, spread the legs just a little bit, makes for much easier insertion later. You don't have to go all crazy, but two adjustable wrenches makes quick work of it.
I used poly inserts, trimmed the little ears off with a hack saw.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Old Barney » January 30th 2020, 3:05pm

Going back to other page I have a cassette adapter to slide into the 8 track under dash box. AND a FM adapter to slid into the cassette!!!
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: awd

Postby MiniAlt » January 30th 2020, 4:54pm

Did you, or do you feel it necessary to lube the poly mount to prevent squeaking?
2003 Astro LT VIN-X 190,000m
2013 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen 75,000m
2015 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T 80,000m
1974 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500cc
2008 Honda CBR 1000RR 6,000m
MiniAlt
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: MiniAlt has been a member for 2 full yearsMiniAlt has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: LT AWD 190k

Postby augidog » January 30th 2020, 5:55pm

When researching door seals, I discovered Sil-Glyde. Word is it's good for assorted bushings as well.

Stupid smartphone is driving me nuts with the disoriented pics.
Attachments
IMG_20200130_084924.jpg
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: augidog has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby WoodButcher » January 30th 2020, 9:28pm

Yes, grease the poly bushings or they will squeak.
Easier assembly too.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 31st 2020, 3:18am

MiniAlt wrote:Did you, or do you feel it necessary to lube the poly mount to prevent squeaking?

No not at all. Engine mounts don't need the lube, they don't twist like say a sway control bar. If it's going to have any twisting motion lube it up good, but for engine mounts it's not needed.

Never heard a peep from them on my Tiger GTv8.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 31st 2020, 5:01am

Just remembered, I wanted to do a running total.
$250 misc
+$0 Stole drivers side mirror from 03POS
+$0 Stole radio from 03POS
+$1 Repaired the DS armrest with a bolt from the drawer
+$15.75 blower motor resistor connector
+$13.66 blower motor resistor
+$1 heat shrink tubing
+$50 poly engine mounts, bought them from a member here back in 2015.

=$331.41

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » February 6th 2020, 12:18pm

Disconnecting the battery, noticed SOME corrosion.
Also noticed some light rust on the battery tray, going to clean that up and paint it.
Removed this, but before you do remove one of these, grind off the bolts that stick down past the nuts on the transmission mount, make your life easy:
To find this crap, I think the reason they say not to use RTV on transmission/transfer cases is because when it starts to degrade it plugs up filters and also leaks. Might be noticeable on the transmission, but probably wouldn't notice it with a TC until the pickup is clogged and it's already ruined. Who knows, maybe they have better sealants these days, but the factory manual specifically states not to use them.

Cleaned it up and replaced it with this:

$331.41
+$150 for new TC/wiring/etc
+$12.82 for a gasket at LAPS
+$15.05 Restock ATF fluid
=$509.28

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » February 6th 2020, 12:46pm

Old Barney wrote:Going back to other page I have a cassette adapter to slide into the 8 track under dash box. AND a FM adapter to slid into the cassette!!!

Just need to add a Bluetooth adapter to that and you will be all set ;)

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » February 17th 2020, 12:25am

Some more goodies for the beast.

Had this locker sitting on the shelf for a while, supposed to be quieter than the one in the Tiger, got it back in 2015, and the time has come to install it. The problem with having all these parts sitting around waiting forever is that I can't remember the exact price, but I know that I got a really good deal on it, like $300-325 good deal.

Axle seal is new from the dealer, $37.80 https://amzn.to/3p9LOEr

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby MechBob » February 17th 2020, 12:46am

Ah,nice. Ya,Will, that is a "lunchbox" locker, but of older design. Things have changed a bit, usually design changes are for the better. A few years ago, they were a bit cheaper, when the economy was down, but now they have gone back up in price. "Lockright" is the brand(well original), but have been sold under other names, and aussie lockers had their own version. It is a full time locker. It is basically the same as a "Detroit locker", although the later detroits progressed to some clutches, and different springs, but for much bigger diffs. Ya, that is what i have been running for many years, in winter van, but only for 1-2 years in summer van. However, i have installed quite a few of them in other vehicles, over the years.I recommend synthetic oil, when running these type of lockers.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby AstroWill [OP] » February 17th 2020, 1:24am

I have the Lock-right in the Tiger, almost the same, this one is the no-slip, supposed to be quieter but we will see.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby MechBob » February 17th 2020, 1:40am

Ah,yes, higher quality, and should be quieter! And, still more expensive!
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 6th 2020, 6:29am

So I started doing the rear anti-sway bar for the BB.

I had ordered the Belltech 5528, and this is how they want you to install it:

But then I saw the installation of the Addco 642 and really liked the bracket/u-bolt combination that they use to mount their bar.
Stent's install of the Addco:

When I noticed those brackets I instantly thought about Unistrut brackets, like the https://www.unistrut.us/product-details/p5547 and https://www.unistrut.us/product-details/p1737 so I ordered up a pair of p1737 brackets to try use to mount the Belltech 5528.

The center hole was a little too small, and the u-bolts that I have are a little too narrow, but 30seconds with a die grinder and those little problems just go away.

Here it is mocked up with the new brackets using some 3/8 u-bolts. Not sure if I want to put a plate up in the uni-body frame rail and keep the u-bolts or maybe use a plate with some bolts from under like the tow hitch. But so far I really like not having to put extra holes in the van and makes swapping it to another vehicle in the future as simple unbolting and moving it to the next van.

Edit: Ugh, looks like I will have to add pictures later, still messing up. Finally got them uploaded.

Edit: I ended up cutting the original brackets to use them as a support plate up inside the frame. Here is a picture of the hardware I used though I'm positive that someone out there has the proper square u-bolts that would fit the unistrut p1737 brackets perfectly. However I have not found them yet, guess I will probably save that for if/when I move it to another van.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 7th 2020, 3:25am

Anyone know of a source for really short square u-bolts? Having a hard time finding any that are threaded most of the way up. That might make my decision to do a plate with nuts welded to it to place in the frame rail a bit easier :)

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 12th 2020, 7:44am

Can anyone guess what is going on in these pictures?

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Astrofarian » March 12th 2020, 12:47pm

AstroWill wrote:Can anyone guess what is going on in these pictures?

Not much to go on here but my "guess" would be that a p.o. added wiring for a trailer light or trailer brake hook-up? Can you show us EITHER end of these wires or is this some sort of contest? lol
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 12th 2020, 5:07pm

That is exactly what is going on in those pictures. But WHY tie into the wiring behind the lens when there is a perfectly good wiring harness bundled up in the jack area for that exact reason?

While I was there removing the too small trailer hitch I noticed this:

LOL wonder how long it's been like that, probably as long as the hitch was installed.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Leeann_93 » March 12th 2020, 9:39pm

AstroWill wrote:That is exactly what is going on in those pictures. But WHY tie into the wiring behind the lens when there is a perfectly good wiring harness bundled up in the jack area for that exact reason?

Because people don't look, don't ask and don't think.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 13th 2020, 2:26am

I'm sure I'm in for more surprises as we work though this van. I knew it had a coolant leak, and I'm tired of it, looks like it's possibly the LIM, but not in the usual place. Said the injectors were replaced, so once my gasket set arrives next week I will tear into that and see if that was the case. It's all temporary until I find/decide on the proper LSX to install in this bad boy.

Will have to get some bumper bolts, as it has been riding around with only the two outside bolts holding it in place for who knows how long, freaking previous owners. :banghead:

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

PreviousNext