Multipurpose project

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Multipurpose project

Postby 6door74 [OP] » December 2nd 2019, 4:48pm

And it begins.......went to start the van this morning so I can move it aaaannddd....no start. :x

It cranks but won't turn over. Tried a little starter fluid and still no go. Fuel pump sounds like it's kicking on and i swapped the relay just to see but still nothing. Good thing I didn't order the lift kit last night. Looks like that money will be going elsewhere for now. I don't have time to do much diagnosing today so I'll read up on other threads to see other people with similar issues in the meantime.
2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Original Poster [OP]
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 6door74 has been a member for 2 full years6door74 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Project VANDAMN!!!
    by VANDAYUM » January 15th 2021, 6:30pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeper View the latest post
    January 15th 2021, 7:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 9th 2021, 11:12am

Postby sixsix » December 2nd 2019, 5:56pm

I can only help by saying:

Diagnostics is easier when all parties know the Subject Matter / Object in Question / Model and Year.
Thought of putting a little more than " AWD " in your signature?

If not - Okey-Dokey

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mike
Last edited by sixsix on December 2nd 2019, 6:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby 6door74 [OP] » December 2nd 2019, 6:09pm

:weld: I forgot to update that when I got the van. However I figured since my post was in this build thread, those details are already known. As for the subject matter/issue at hand, I figured my post kinda laid it out though admittedly slim on details.:shrug:

As I mentioned, I didn't have time to do much diagnosing today. Once i have the time to do that, I'll update this build thread with what I found, did, fixed, broke, can't figure out, etc. I wasn't necessarily posing a question looking for answers just yet. However I'm always open to other people's comments on what they may know based on their own personal experience with this van specifically or just suggestions based general mechanical knowledge. By similar issues others have had i just meant no start. I would read different threads about that issue to see how people diagnosed and fixed it or if there is a known common issue. On another forum I went to when my other car wouldn't start, I was able to find out about a known issue with a fuel pump module.

I'm hoping this wet dreary day is just causing some moisture affecting the ignition. Here's to wishful thinking!
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Original Poster [OP]
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 6door74 has been a member for 2 full years6door74 has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » December 2nd 2019, 6:25pm

Well, I guess there are SOME people that will go back to the first page and read thru it.

But ... if I were asking for help... however ... had I only known ...

... drive by ... damn ...

Mike

good luck getting UNK started

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby 6door74 [OP] » December 2nd 2019, 6:40pm

Surely if i can read 30 pages and multiple threads on doing a lift you can look back 1 page, right? I wouldn't dare ask a question that was answered on post #156 of 589 (I just made those numbers up of course) :lol: :lol:

Jokes aside, I did update my signature so that those details are more readily available. Thanks for the suggestion because I did forget.
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Original Poster [OP]
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » December 2nd 2019, 6:56pm

6door74 wrote:Surely if i can read 30 pages and multiple threads on doing a lift you can look back 1 page, right? ...

Haha

Mike

sixsix

Postby 6door74 [OP] » December 2nd 2019, 7:05pm

On another note, thanks to the heavy rain yesterday, I see my wet headliner is more widespread than I thought. It's running up and down both sides. That's part of why i wanted to move it from where it was this morning. Looking at the windshield as others have recommended, I see I do have gaps on both sides. Would water run backwards and wet the headliner if the car is just sitting as opposed to if I was driving in the rain?

20191202_130154-picsay.jpeg
Both corners of windshield
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Original Poster [OP]
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » December 2nd 2019, 11:32pm

It depends how it's sitting. My '02 never leaked really badly at the windshield if the nose was up, but if the nose was down and it was pouring, you got to see Niagara Falls. If it was up too much, there would be a few damp spots well back from the windshield. Water is amazingly annoying - it'll follow just a little line and make you think your leak is here when in fact it's well away from there.

Took 4 guys, baby powder and a hose - and an hour - to find the roof leak at our office. The damn water ran 25' along a rib until it found just a little cut spot - barely enough to feel with a finger - where it decided to drip and pour onto the drop ceiling. The roofers blamed the HVAC guys, the HVAC guys blamed the roofers....the HVAC guys won the fight.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Wiley » December 3rd 2019, 4:55pm

6door74 wrote:On another note, thanks to the heavy rain yesterday, I see my wet headliner is more widespread than I thought. It's running up and down both sides. That's part of why i wanted to move it from where it was this morning. Looking at the windshield as others have recommended, I see I do have gaps on both sides. Would water run backwards and wet the headliner if the car is just sitting as opposed to if I was driving in the rain?

Get that headliner down and see what is going on. My windshield was cracked and leaking, I went to get it replaced thinking nothing of it, but the whole top was rust!! You need to address it ASAP. They guys replacing my windshield "addressed" it, but in hindsight I wish I had gone in myself and seen what was really going on, as they probably just slapped some paint on it and called it good. I had to jam a bunch of black roofing sealant up there after they replaced the windshield to stop the leaking which was so bad. I am sure it is still rusting away, but do not want to deal with the sealant so am turning a blind eye. I will follow up with a pic they sent me on my phone....its dark but there was a lot of rust, so you really should take a look, or have someone take a look. And while I think you should take the headliner down and see what is going on, I will note that there is no visible damage on the roof with mine down. The rust can only be seen behind that black rubber seal you posted a pic of.....but you don't know where your issue is, so I think it's worth taking it down.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby AstroWill » December 4th 2019, 11:55pm

Definitely take a look, rust doesn't just stop it will just keep getting worse. I have seen them leak at the front windshield, pretty common, also have seen the back side windows leak as well.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby sixsix » December 5th 2019, 2:40am

6door74 wrote: ... I did update my signature so that those details are more readily available. Thanks for the suggestion because I did forget.

The INFO or signature data I was referring to is located:

- in the USER MENU ( over to the right, at the top )
- select 'User Control Panel'
- under the 'Profile' tab.
- then 'Edit profile'
- toward the bottom is:

Van Model Year:
Select the model year of your van.

Van Make/Model:
Select the Make & Model of your van.

Extra Info:
Space for Stuff about your Stuff

You already added items there - so should come as a big surprise that there is more room for more important data that we all clamor to look for... falling all over each other.

... but I digress

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mike

sixsix

Postby AstroWill » December 5th 2019, 5:20am

Leeann_93 wrote:Took 4 guys, baby powder and a hose - and an hour - to find the roof leak at our office. The damn water ran 25' along a rib until it found just a little cut spot - barely enough to feel with a finger - where it decided to drip and pour onto the drop ceiling. The roofers blamed the HVAC guys, the HVAC guys blamed the roofers....the HVAC guys won the fight.

Yep, water is a PITA. I would trust an experienced HVAC guy approximately 10000% over any roofer that I have ever met.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby 6door74 [OP] » December 5th 2019, 8:17pm

Wiley wrote:
6door74 wrote:On another note, thanks to the heavy rain yesterday, I see my wet headliner is more widespread than I thought. It's running up and down both sides. That's part of why i wanted to move it from where it was this morning. Looking at the windshield as others have recommended, I see I do have gaps on both sides. Would water run backwards and wet the headliner if the car is just sitting as opposed to if I was driving in the rain?

Get that headliner down and see what is going on. My windshield was cracked and leaking, I went to get it replaced thinking nothing of it, but the whole top was rust!! You need to address it ASAP. They guys replacing my windshield "addressed" it, but in hindsight I wish I had gone in myself and seen what was really going on, as they probably just slapped some paint on it and called it good. I had to jam a bunch of black roofing sealant up there after they replaced the windshield to stop the leaking which was so bad. I am sure it is still rusting away, but do not want to deal with the sealant so am turning a blind eye. I will follow up with a pic they sent me on my phone....its dark but there was a lot of rust, so you really should take a look, or have someone take a look. And while I think you should take the headliner down and see what is going on, I will note that there is no visible damage on the roof with mine down. The rust can only be seen behind that black rubber seal you posted a pic of.....but you don't know where your issue is, so I think it's worth taking it down.

Looking to do that now. Can't find any threads, videos, or pics of removing the headliner though. Only thing I found on youtube is of a gen 1 astro van. I've been known to tear up trim so I want to know the exact places to unfasten and unscrew before I just start pulling on a spot thinking it just needs a little tug :lol:
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Original Poster [OP]
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 6door74 [OP] » December 5th 2019, 8:24pm

by the way, went to start it up today after it's been dry and sunny. What do you know, started right up. Guess the moisture was affecting the ignition system. I was going to replace the components anyway so that's a relief. At the moment I'm trying to hunt down this leak. The molding along the windshield is basically doing nothing along the sides and in the corner. I don't know if it's the cause but it's obviously something that needs to be addressed.

1205191421a_HDR-picsay.jpg
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Original Poster [OP]
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 6door74 [OP] » December 5th 2019, 11:42pm

Since I haven't figured out the headliner yet, i decided to check the roof. The roof rack is a silicone mess so it seems the previous owner was trying to solve this leak problem. As you'll see in the pics, the whole roof rack was a mess! It had to have been changed, removed, repaired, or something. Mismatch bolts and silicone in the bolt holes which was a pain in the ***.

1205191456_HDR-picsay.jpg

1205191539_HDR-picsay.jpg

Passenger side
1205191544a_HDR-picsay.jpg

These were on the driver's side :shrug:
1205191603_HDR-picsay.jpg

1205191608_HDR-picsay.jpg

Hodgepodge of bolts

1205191628_HDR-picsay.jpg

I ended up sanding the area around the holes and covering them plus putting silicone for now. I'm going to find something to plug the holes and maybe my leak issue will be solved. I'll worry about a roof rack later. Might even go ahead and get some bedliner paint now and just hit the roof with it.
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Original Poster [OP]
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » December 6th 2019, 12:21am

Forgot and been meaning to ask...
- did you or do you own - that '74 with the (2) rear disappearing/sliding doors?
Manual or electric?

Huge car! One of the longest ever produced.

Mike

sixsix

Postby 6door74 [OP] » December 6th 2019, 1:45am

sixsix wrote:Forgot and been meaning to ask...
- did you or do you own - that '74 with the (2) rear disappearing/sliding doors?
Manual or electric?

Huge car! One of the longest ever produced.

Mike

Still got her.....

0917191534_HDR-picsay.jpg

0917191535_HDR-picsay.jpg

0917191536_HDR-picsay.jpg

1974 Pontiac Catalina stretched by Armbruster Stageway and used as funeral home family car. I've had it since 2009
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Original Poster [OP]
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » December 6th 2019, 4:00am

Wow - cool car there. Great shape / condition seems, too.

Not at all what I was thinking, but unique just the same.
Thanks for the Pics!

Mike

sixsix

Postby scorean » December 6th 2019, 5:19am

Holy cow, that thing's awesome!
scorean
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: scorean has been a member for 4 full yearsscorean has been a member for 4 full yearsscorean has been a member for 4 full yearsscorean has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): Sam
Van Model Year: 1995

Postby ericstg » December 6th 2019, 5:28am

Super cool!
2003 AWD Astro Cargo, 3+1(plus a shackle) lift, LT245/75R16, it's badass!

Update 12/31/20: It's dead!

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=129113
ericstg
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: ericstg has been a member for 3 full yearsericstg has been a member for 3 full yearsericstg has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

PreviousNext