Brewtus: 1987 Astro Aerolite Rebuild

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Brewtus: 1987 Astro Aerolite Rebuild

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 29th 2019, 10:46pm

scorean wrote:And there it is... I'm telling you man wishes like "I'm eager to start building" are like something straight out of the monkey paw! Good luck dude, that's going to be a bit of an undertaking but you'll get it!

Haha yes... Thank you for the good luck wishes, and it will certainly be an undertaking!

~Dylan
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Brewtus has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Vivian & Dylan
Van Model Year: 1986
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 1987 Aerolite Resto.

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1987 Astro Quigley v-8 build
    by Kps396 » December 5th 2020, 2:55pm in Projects/Builds
    38 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    January 31st 2021, 9:40pm
  • 1989 Cargo Rebuild
    by Slime » December 4th 2020, 8:21pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 8:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 20th 2021, 5:56pm

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 29th 2019, 10:50pm

Leeann_93 wrote:A lot of guys on the RV.net forums have gone to the EPDM rubber stuff for the roofs on their Class Cs. I doubt you'd be able to find a premade plastic skin for that particular rig at this point, but you never know.

I appreciate your insight on EPDM rubber! I will read more about the material. I hope to find a lightweight and truly water-tight solution for the roof. If anyone has any info or suggestions on other materials, I would love to hear it, too!

~Dylan
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby AstroWill » December 30th 2019, 12:30am

I saw an advertisement for this place, have zero experience with them. I wonder if they would do an RV roof. https://everseal.com/

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 31st 2019, 8:56am

***Update***

Great news! Vivian and I successfully registered the van and the DMV corrected the VIN discrepancies. Also, we finished gutting out the interior and are now planning out our next major phase of raising the roof 6 inches, applying POR15 where needed, and replacing the roofing and insulation material. This should be a pleasantly chilly task in the heart of winter here in Idaho...

Here are some photos of the emptied inside of the camper.

~Dylan
Attachments
Empty Rear.png
Empty Front.png
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby sixsix » January 1st 2020, 3:54pm

My goodness - that is one huge space.
Going to be fun for you two to fill up.
But... no matter what your plans...

Whether at a camp or keeping pace,
don't forget to hold onto the top.

LOL- couldn't help but write a little poem.

Mike

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Leeann_93 » January 1st 2020, 4:44pm

A blank canvas is a very good thing.

We have a Class A but, at 20' long, it's pretty compact inside. We did one or two things to improve the functionality of the space, but we didn't rip out cabinets.

We only had about 6" total of countertop outside the stove and double sink, so my husband made a hinged cutting board cover for the stove that, when in the up position, blocks any spatter from the stove getting onto the dinette seat or anyone sitting there but is out of the way for cooking. He also made a cutting board cover for the sink that has rubber feet that hold the board tightly in position on top of the sink, so it can be in place going down the road without rattling.

The door to the bathroom was falling apart (wet pressboard from a broken vent cover when we got it), so my husband built a new one from plywood, but cut a hole in it and put two of the fuzzy sheets of plastic that you can put on bathroom windows, both with the pebbly side facing in for easier cleaning, as the 'window.' That lets in a ton of light on that side that we didn't have before AND the head is a lot brighter. Ours is small enough you either have to straddle the toilet to stand up or simply sit on the toilet and use the hand-held bit to take a shower. There is a shower curtain that pulls across the door to protect it from spray.

Sink.jpg

SinkBottom.jpg

Stove.jpg

StoveBottom.jpg

HeadDoor.jpg
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Big_kid » January 1st 2020, 5:41pm

Great progress so far! I can't wait to see where you take it- creatively, and physically. I've always toyed with the idea of making my van a weekender of sorts, but never looked into it. I'll be watching for ideas!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Brewtus [OP] » January 2nd 2020, 6:08am

sixsix wrote:LOL- couldn't help but write a little poem.

Haha we appreciate your poem, Mike.
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » January 2nd 2020, 6:18am

Leeann_93 wrote:A blank canvas is a very good thing.

I am super excited for the blank canvas! A 20-foot Class A sounds like it would be pretty compact. Thank you for sharing your creative solutions for maximizing the space. I like the functionality of the cutting board surfaces. I bet the added light from the material on the bathroom door is awesome!

~Dylan
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » January 2nd 2020, 6:21am

Big_kid wrote:Great progress so far! I can't wait to see where you take it- creatively, and physically. I've always toyed with the idea of making my van a weekender of sorts, but never looked into it. I'll be watching for ideas!

Thank you! I can't wait to see where VIvian and I take it, either. I hope you're able to find some inspiration and ideas from our process! If you have any ideas, please let us know!

~Dylan
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby sixsix » January 4th 2020, 1:44am

Leeann - Looking thru your photos...

StoveBottom Sm.jpg
StoveBottom Sm.jpg (6.63 KiB) Viewed 1046 times

Just can't imagine a situation where ya' might need (4) burners - :eek:

Then again... I am no cook - :eek:

Mike

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby Leeann_93 » January 4th 2020, 5:16am

I’ve never used the burners. We have cooked a pizza in the oven, but mostly I use a propane grill outside.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby sixsix » January 6th 2020, 3:19am

Leeann_93 wrote:I’ve never used the burners. We have cooked a pizza in the oven, but mostly I use a propane grill outside.

No no, not you, in particular... just the OEM design thought.

Geez, the RV is not 'huge' and a '4 Burner' w/ oven seemed a bit ... over featured.
Pretty safe to assume - I have never Cooked in an RV.

Speaking of Interior stuff, Dylan - will you all be putting in a HUGE Gas Range w/ Double Oven & convection?
LOL - right there next to the French door Frig w/ juice dispenser and bluetooth ghost cumulus server.

Slow day here :shock:

Mike

and about that 'poem'... Like I said to Lumpy one day ...
"I think I had my iambic pentameters in the wrong place".

and since I'm not a "poet" either... here might be a better version of said 'poem':

- Brewtus RV -

But... whether at camp or keeping pace,

sixsix

Postby AstroWill » January 9th 2020, 10:58pm

Leeann_93 wrote:I’ve never used the burners. We have cooked a pizza in the oven, but mostly I use a propane grill outside.

That is the way to go, would love to have a slideout burner using the onboard propane though.

I could honestly do with a single burner inside, if I redo the counter top I will install a single or a double at most.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Brewtus [OP] » January 10th 2020, 7:05am

sixsix wrote:Speaking of Interior stuff, Dylan - will you all be putting in a HUGE Gas Range w/ Double Oven & convection? LOL - right there next to the French door Frig w/ juice dispenser and bluetooth ghost cumulus server.

- Brewtus RV -

But... whether at camp or keeping pace,

Haha no-go on the huge gas range, double oven, french door fridge, and ghost cumulus server. We are going for a toaster oven, convection cooktop, and small fridge. Hopefully there will be plenty of space left.

Relating to your poetic adjustments, I will be sure to attach "oh ****" handles to the roof of Brewtus. Then while cruising on the freeway, we can have volunteers hold the top on lol.

~Dylan
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Jeff » January 10th 2020, 11:29am

Very cool rig you got there. Remember, take your time and “do it right, do it once” as my old boss use to say, and he was spot on. Anyway I’ll be following your rehab and wish you all the best! GL
Jeff
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Jeff has been a member for 2 full yearsJeff has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): jrackman
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD

Postby Brewtus [OP] » May 26th 2020, 8:01pm

Jeff wrote:Very cool rig you got there. Remember, take your time and “do it right, do it once” as my old boss use to say, and he was spot on. Anyway I’ll be following your rehab and wish you all the best! GL

Hey Jeff, thank you! Definitely some helpful advice for us to utilize. The project was on pause for a short time and hopefully we can get going again soon!
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » August 22nd 2020, 1:53am

I spent about 5 hours driving around to local junkyards searching for a 2500 or 3500 Express/Savanna to get some lifting coils for Brewtus. The junkyard's inventory systems didn't display the size, hence me driving and walking all over the place. Out of four junkyards, I found one 2500 Express van. Oh boy was I excited to find it haha. I removed the coils with a big smile on my face, brought them home, and swapped them into Brewtus. They added 2 inches of lift, which I was ecstatic about. Thank you so much "astro355" for your valuable information regarding this simple coil solution! Here's a photo showing ground and fender clearance before and after. Vivian and I are hoping to fit 31-inch tires with this 2-inch lift but bought some body lift pucks just incase we need more clearance. I expect some cutting and pounding will be in store.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 6.56.01 PM.png
+2 inches w/2500 coils
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » August 22nd 2020, 2:15am

If anyone is interested in seeing the full demolition process, here's a video of it! We have removed a little over 3,000 lbs already... I imagine the engine thinks it's a teenager again!

Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby sixsix » August 25th 2020, 10:30am

Thanks for the update - Lots of work. Nice to see the 2 of you 'having at it'.

Your Van front end / wheel pics had me laughing inside... at first I thought it was going to be a "Find the 5 Differences..."
To be truthful, I found 4 right off the bat.

I need to get out of the house - get a walk, shoot a neighbor... something.

sixsix

PreviousNext