Brewtus: 1987 Astro Aerolite Rebuild

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Brewtus: 1987 Astro Aerolite Rebuild

Postby WoodButcher » November 5th 2020, 6:35pm

https://www.astrosafari.com/memberlist. ... le&u=50289

Laz1 has built a couple and driven them many thousands of miles, quite a bit offroad so he knows what he has built. I have questioned him about this, he replied it was all good so I must believe,,, but I'm still a skeptic...
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1987 Astro Quigley v-8 build
    by Kps396 » December 5th 2020, 2:55pm in Projects/Builds
    38 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    January 31st 2021, 9:40pm
  • 1989 Cargo Rebuild
    by Slime » December 4th 2020, 8:21pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 8:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 9th 2021, 11:14am

Postby Brewtus [OP] » November 5th 2020, 7:41pm

WoodButcher wrote:https://www.astrosafari.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=50289

Laz1 has built a couple and driven them many thousands of miles, quite a bit offroad so he knows what he has built. I have questioned him about this, he replied it was all good so I must believe,,, but I'm still a skeptic...

Thanks for the link! I am definitely looking forward to reading through the information and seeing some photos of them.
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Brewtus has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Vivian & Dylan
Van Model Year: 1986
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 1987 Aerolite Resto.

Postby AstroWill » November 6th 2020, 3:42pm

You can find pictures/threads of them here, I currently own 3 of them that I'm planning on selling soon.
Ken has done and excellent job with his https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=137612

There is also the Tiger Owners Group on tapatalk: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tigerowners

They didn't extend the frames like some of the other companies have.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby WoodButcher » November 6th 2020, 4:55pm

AstroWill wrote:They didn't extend the frames like some of the other companies have.

Really? You're saying tigers just cut the body and left the floor intact?

Interesting,,, having seen the wrinkles in the body that occurred when DRZ built the astromino I would be hesitant to trust a flatbed astro. Being a long time carpenter I know I can build in rigidity to a box but tying that to a 22 gauge body I think would be sketchy.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby AstroWill » November 6th 2020, 5:06pm

WoodButcher wrote:
AstroWill wrote:They didn't extend the frames like some of the other companies have.

Really? You're saying tigers just cut the body and left the floor intact?

Exactly, and they hold up just fine running on the original frame rails/floor. When you look at them from the bottom they for the most part look stock. Other than the added tanks, fuel filler hose, bumper extension/etc.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Brewtus [OP] » November 8th 2020, 5:55pm

I mounted the air compressor last night. A major limitation of mounting it here is reduced access for battery removal. I decided to mount it here anyway since it is close to the battery supply and also allows me to run the inlet hose and filter through the firewall and into the cab neatly. I added an off-at-145PSI pressure switch and plan to add a timer switch to limit run-time to prevent the compressor from overworking itself along with an in-cab, accessory powered on/off switch to prevent the compressor from running with the engine off (if the toggle is accidentally switched on when the van is off). I have a 5 gallon air tank I plan to under-mount with air lines running to both front and rear bumpers. I also want to add separate regulators for the Ride Rite bags in the rear but am unsure how I am going to proceed. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
Attachments
IMG_20201107_141014541_HDR.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby WoodButcher » November 9th 2020, 4:34pm

Wire the compressor relay to a circuit that is only hot w/ the key in run position. You won't need to worry about bumping any switches or forgetting that it is on.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Brewtus [OP] » November 11th 2020, 1:07am

WoodButcher wrote:Wire the compressor relay to a circuit that is only hot w/ the key in run position. You won't need to worry about bumping any switches or forgetting that it is on.

I was adding extra work for myself when I didn't need to! Thank you for the insight. :bow:
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » November 11th 2020, 1:12am

Vivian and I saw a Tiger (for the first time up close), and I was really surprised by the size! It looked like the length of a standard Astro and fit perfectly in a parking spot. Brewtus (our Aerolite) is 20 feet and sticks out a decent amount when parked in a parking spot.
Attachments
IMG_20201105_211903295 (1).jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 20th 2020, 2:00am

I built a new computer for video editing, so there should be some entertaining, quality content on the way. :D Here are some photos back from the deconstruction I found (outdated photos). At this point, we were still planning on using the old steel ribs. Since then, we have decided to go our much different route! The van has been on pause for a little while because I [accidentally] bought a 1980 Jeep Wagoneer for really cheap ($460). I got it running and should be able to get it back out of the garage so there's more room for the van build. I can't wait to make more progress on this build...
Attachments
P1010089.JPG
P1010088.JPG
P1010090 trimmed.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 20th 2020, 2:03am

More recent photo:
Attachments
IMG_20201029_100357718_HDR.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 20th 2020, 2:09am

Current state of existence:
Attachments
P1010449.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby tungtide » December 20th 2020, 11:01pm

Quite the project. Keep up the good work and watch out for Jeeps they slow you down.
Ken
tungtide
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby AstroWill » December 22nd 2020, 12:29am

Brewtus wrote:Current state of existence:

At least it fits in the garage :)

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 3:32am

tungtide wrote:Quite the project. Keep up the good work and watch out for Jeeps they slow you down.

Hey Ken, I am totally beginning to understand what you mean by Jeeps slowing down the important (Astro) projects haha.

AstroWill wrote: At least it fits in the garage :)

Hey Will, I am super happy with being able to park it in the garage. I had to do a bit of MacGyver'ing to get it in there (remove a crossmember on the garage door & remove part of the rear bumper from the van). There is such a shift I feel being able to work on something inside a building. I have worked outside on plenty of things but am always concerned someone will walk by and steal something, someone will call the cops (happened at least twice on this project over the last year), and I also don't feel as comfortable working outside.
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 4:14am

A little side-project action here... Vivian and I pulled the Jeep into the garage so I could focus on fixing it up and have one less thing to worry about. I got it running and gave it a bath. Hopefully I will have some more time to focus on the Astro with the garage being spacious once again.
Attachments
20201118_171522.jpg
20201221_122050.jpg
Last edited by Brewtus on December 22nd 2020, 6:11am, edited 3 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 4:18am

Here are some 3D concepts of the finished product. I use a free 3D creating tool called "SketchUp," if anyone is interested in trying it out themselves! The "realistic" photo is just a simple rendering of the finished look. We may go a more angular route than round, depending on how involved we are with the PMF (poor-man's fiberglass). I have read and seen some pretty creative and functional projects made out of this stuff... I can't wait to see how Brewtus turns out. It is taking much longer than expected, which I should have expected.
Attachments
P1010353.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.27.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.29.17 PM.png
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 4:26am

The bed over the cab is king-sized and will sit on top of a bookshelf and most of our appliances. We plan to utilize the "tunnel" under the bed (which allows access to the cab) as a place for the dogs to have a bed. The room in the rear corner is the shower and the rest is our living/cooking space. We plan to have a small section towards the front of the van as a roof-top patio with the remaining space to the rear consumed by solar panels. We are planning for two 30 gallon water tanks, with one placed on either side hanging "under" the floor behind the cab (insulated w/water tank heating pads). I am hoping this will help with keeping our center of gravity low as well as providing a bit of an absorbent safety feature in case of being hit from the side. The rear bumper is going to be constructed of 8-inch structural tubing with a section cut out to hinge down as an entry step. This should help with keep our clearance high but also function well as a practical and easy-to-use set of stairs. It will be a BIG bumper, but it will also have the capacity to store some things (maybe a few camp chairs or something). We are still debating what material we are going to use for countertops and are leaning towards granite. We will be saving a lot of weight in other places and think it would add a nice "feel" to the build. Has anyone had any experience with granite in their van-life builds? I'm super interested in how it has held up, if so!

We are hoping to get all of the XPS foam cut out to size and dry-fit so it's all ready to assemble in some warmer spring-time temperatures. It should come together quickly once everything is all cut out.

For the van,, I ordered a bunch of Moog front steering components and the ball-joint spacer kit to try tightening the looseness I feel up there. Other than that, the mechanical parts of the build are nearly complete (aside from re-gearing the rear end :( ).

We are going to paint and undercoat all the exposed metal on the frame while we have open access to it... Having no floor is a luxury!
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby AlpineVan » December 22nd 2020, 5:05pm

I really like the layout you have planned, and that jeep is sweet find!
AlpineVan
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Alpine
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: SLX AWD

Postby Brewtus [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 7:24pm

AlpineVan wrote:I really like the layout you have planned, and that jeep is sweet find!

Hey Alpine! Thank you! I can't wait to see it come together. I am excited about the Jeep, too!
Original Poster [OP]
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

PreviousNext