95 Astro AWD, 100k young, the preservation thereof.

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 95 Astro AWD, 100k young, the preservation thereof.

Postby augidog [OP] » August 14th 2020, 2:32pm

I agonized over this, truly. but I came to the conclusion that I do not want to wait until the van decides to need those gaskets. I can only afford to do this once, and cannot afford to replace an engine that got caught overheating or worse at a bad time.

since the rest of the van will outlive me, I want to know the engine will as well. if I didn't have a good shop and mechanic available, it wouldn't be happening, but my experience leads me to trust Jeremy. he's the go-to guy for local classic cars and performance off-roading, and always has one or two crazy-cool vehicles waiting in line. matter of fact, my van was queued behind a beautiful OE 1964 Malibu. I bet you imagined it red. it is.

truth be told, the fact that it runs so good right now factored in...in a perverted sort of way. as the title of my thread says, I want to preserve that, because I did NOT buy my hopefully-last (and only) vehicle as a hobby to regularly work on. I LOVE what some of you do to/with your vans, but I came into this from a different direction with a different goal.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
Original Poster [OP]
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: augidog has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 95 SAFARI
    by WildBorego » November 15th 2020, 3:09am in Projects/Builds
    137 Replies
    Last post by WildBorego View the latest post
    Yesterday, 3:11am
  • 2002 Astro AWD 4inch Lift Camper Conversion
    by Minist3r » November 28th 2020, 6:10pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by SportsBoy View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 4:08am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 8th 2021, 1:32pm

Postby sixsix » August 14th 2020, 9:46pm

Broken Record Alert sorta'

Maybe I missed something ( gosh... ya think ), what on earth made you decide to do it - LIM work - in the 1st place?
You had to be going on what the 'crowd' here says. Gen II - X, Y or Z motor, non W, blah, blah. They are Correct.
And I know - get it out of the way... won't have to worry... kinda' like me getting my teeth fixed or telling the guy on the corner I 'borrowed' a live Christmas tree 12 years ago. I know - I shoulda' used the bow saw.

:poke:

Oh well. I should talk - I took the Pass. Dr. Window Motor out and bypassed the CB - just for the fun of it.
Not even that I had to do the other one anyway... The Pass. side stuff always worked just fine.
2022 should be a fine year - get that door done... take a ride w/ most of The Van assembled.
Still have to do Fogs, RR View Mirror and RR Pillar ( C or D ?? ) Covers and maybe some Speakers behind them.
The mount, Covers & Speakers are Totally Different - L & R.

But this W - CPI Astro will kick some van butt down the road, watching out - ohhhh - those crazy bikers.
As I get sideways on the on ramp.
Yeah, it runs great! We are Blessed.

And I shall look for those Pics - maybe we can compare UIMs together, get our tray on. Jeannie can save her 'special' stuff now.
Mobile dispensary comes thru again...

Later

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby sixsix » August 14th 2020, 11:25pm

Going back and looking at your Photos...

Gen I Interior, but you have an Airbag steering Wheel - is the bag there and good?
Might prove more important than... not gonna' say.

Also noticed - no remote gas door release - normally in drvr door step corner, below threshold trim.

Back to the UIM
Here are origs ( you can enlarge them ) and posted ( our build thread w/ my gooky artwork ) pics of back side / top of engine:
The pics w/ a number corresponds to searching the album - makes it easier for me to find on my server, then find it here.

DSCF4237.JPG
Dist-rt side-UIM-vacuum-eng lift brkt

1035 Vacuum Supply + Lines

DSCF4240.JPG
Dist-lt side-UIM-vacuum-gas lines

1038 Vacuum Port Plugged

DSCF4532.JPG
Old Dist-Mag Base pos noted-dist base stone-bracket

1073 Old Distr and Rotor

DSCF4533.JPG
1st New Dist w/ shim-blue taped white line/wire for Tach ??

1075 1st New Dist-Cap and Wires

DSCF4534.JPG
Closeup 1st New Dist

1074 1st New Dist-030 Shim

DSCF4536.JPG
Engine RR-doghouse off-Major Intake Runners-Adjuster Valve Base

1076 New Dist-Out of there

DSCF4543.JPG
2nd New Dist ( did not use )-Screen-Clamp-Brkt gone

1103 2nd New Dist-Perfectly Seated-Screen

Augis 95 CPI - RR 001.jpg
Augis 95 CPI - RR 001.jpg

I noticed the Vacuum and Distributor diffs right away. What sort of Evap system do you have?
I shudder to think, just shuddering along... geez - You have the REAL COMPLICATED one...
- but w/ a 3 port canister in front...? Gen II have some of the worst and That's not even considering left coast stuff.
Ours has had a 4 Port Canister. I fooled with it and converted it ? ( who knows, really ) to a 3 port.
Just started yanking... no, no.

Hope you are getting a few pics in case your guy comes down w/ anthrax or H1N1 / god forbid.

Oh... and the PO will not Postmark a prepaid envelope. Just had to say.

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby augidog [OP] » August 14th 2020, 11:38pm

I expect mine back today, then I will try and decipher & digest your post. yes to airbag, no to gas door remote. I may own the weirdest 95 in existence. edit, I saw your previous post. yes, not a repair, but prevention before possible damage.

I get it about postmarks...we are in for a mighty hot mess, indeed.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby augidog [OP] » August 15th 2020, 12:37pm

there was a (probably normal for mileage & age) layer of gunk inside the plenum, and all of the plastic & rubber was hard. no signs of deterioration LIM gaskets, and I stand by my decision to preempt. valve train is clean as a whistle, I added new cover gaskets to the job. tune-up 25k ago, still looking good. it was the (original) water pump starting to seep, and all system hoses are in great shape.

it starts with a quick flick of the key, but goes "flat" on acceleration with no stutter and then revs up smooth, so will check out the ICV & >TPS< when the sun comes up. I have a passenger-side exhaust tick, not noticeable with the doghouse on, fingers crossed the donut just needs tightening. the studs look really good.

overall, I think this was a good move at just the right time, and I've developed a bit of respect for my 3 PO's who apparently kept up with the important stuff.

there's old green dye all over the back of the A/C compressor, and I guess it could be timing that it doesn't blow cold now, although it did last time I used it about a month ago on a long day of driving. Jeremy says it might be worth trying a can of stop-leak, and I would greatly appreciate experienced feedback on this. EDIT: after my own research, I've opted to wait and replace the compressor and dryer. opinions are welcome.

sixsix, I will be using your pics for sake of comparison and discussion, but I must say sometimes your rambling, while mildly entertaining, makes it difficult to figure out what your intended conclusion or point was. I bring this up because I want to know what you're trying to teach me :think:

another thing. I want to check the fuel pump and double-check the work for leak-down. I bought the wrong gauge without a bleed button. what is the tried n true method of relieving and checking pressure under these circumstances? no need to re-explain, a link will suffice and I will do my own learning. thanks guys!
Last edited by augidog on August 15th 2020, 3:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby Big_kid » August 15th 2020, 3:27pm

To relieve fuel line pressure: Pull the fuel pump fuse (or relay), start the van, it won't run long. Crank it over one more time for grins and giggles if it makes you feel better. Fuel pressure relieved. There's a blue cap on the Schrader valve on yours, I saw it in the pic SixSix posted above. That's where you'd connect the pressure gauge. Bleed off the pressure again before removing the gauge for a cleaner clean up.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby augidog [OP] » August 15th 2020, 3:30pm

beauty! thank you, B_k .
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby augidog [OP] » August 16th 2020, 4:19pm

found a bit of carbon at the right side donut, so while i wait for the PB to soak in, i'll post some pics. EDIT: one nut was about 2 turns loose, luckily the donut wasn't charred too much, so all good (for) now.

UIM details
IMG_20200816_075735.jpg
IMG_20200816_075749.jpg
IMG_20200816_075710.jpg

A/C compressor
IMG_20200816_075817.jpg

my canister, with rotten rubber. so glad this question came up. EDIT: done.
IMG_20200816_075617.jpg
the plan is to have Jeremy build me a new battery tray. can anyone suggest a good universal one that he can start with?

EDIT!

holy CRAP! it isn't "flat" anymore, and I haven't done anything but the donut & evap lines, and pushed/wiggled all the electric connectors. went for a drive and kicked it down at about 50mph...I was expecting that little gasp, but it freaking roared. I admit, I wasn't ready for that, and it scared me for an instant, no fooling. I wasn't scared the second time. rolling back into town, I sat in stop n go traffic for half an hour before I could turn off for home.

:banana: gauges are steady at the normal marks, and I'm pretty doggone happy right now :banana:
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby sixsix » August 16th 2020, 10:21pm

augidog wrote:the plan is to have Jeremy build me a new battery tray. can anyone suggest a good universal one that he can start with?

JY is the only place I can think of - does your E-brake cable go thru it like ours did?
Does your dist. have an 'open clamp' like ours ? - it enabled Randy to turn and set the gap/timing w/o messing or elongating a fixed dist. position hole. Computer did not mind it a bit. Perfectly fast idle ( unk? ), then settles, runs like a bandit.

If you had not already seen or read - our intake had 3 vacuum ports / lines. 2 were used for evap - they are gone.
I wonder how many yours has.

augidog wrote:I was expecting that little gasp, but it freaking roared. I admit, I wasn't ready for that, ...

Haha, sound like me now. The Van is empty right now - not even seats, spare or jack stuff.

The Back end will come around real quick. Not quite as bad as a pickup, but wow. 190-200 hp shows up at just the "Right Time".
I can just imagine how it would be with Gas Shocks and the Solid Rear Sway like the RS / GT. And a kinda' hot cam. and the ports matched and polished and... and, and. HAS to still be a "would lend it to my Oma for a week" daily driver.

There was one other thing that The Van was is famous for: The Turning Radius. Maybe the S-10 has a small one too, since they are related - but this '92 w/ stock 235s on it has the smallest of ANY car I have driven ( 'cept the VWs ).

sixsix

Postby augidog [OP] » August 16th 2020, 11:09pm

sixsix wrote:JY is the only place I can think of - does your E-brake cable go thru it like ours did?

yes, through the lower brace. one dinky JY here, no A/S's. will have to fabricate, and thought I'd grab a universal battery tray as a starting foundation.

sixsix wrote:Does your dist. have an 'open clamp' like ours ? - it enabled Randy to turn and set the gap/timing w/o messing or elongating a fixed dist. position hole. Computer did not mind it a bit. Perfectly fast idle ( unk? ), then settles, runs like a bandit.

an open fork like I'm used to. I have a good ear for timing, but I'm not inclined to try and make it run any "better" than it does right now. I'm not even sure I could.

sixsix wrote:If you had not already seen or read - our intake had 3 vacuum ports / lines. 2 were used for evap - they are gone. I wonder how many yours has.

it appears I have 3, all in use. no "t" like yours for cruise, mine's the electronic version.

sixsix wrote:The Back end will come around real quick. Not quite as bad as a pickup, but wow. 190-200 hp shows up at just the "Right Time". I can just imagine how it would be with Gas Shocks and the Solid Rear Sway like the RS / GT. And a kinda' hot cam. and the ports matched and polished and... and, and. HAS to still be a "would lend it to my Oma for a week" daily driver

"wow" is right, brother. and with the new 4-leaf replacement springs, new solid front sway-bar & links, new KYB gas shocks all 'round, and a fresh alignment, the van's very nimble & stable on our roller-coaster roads.

sixsix wrote:There was one other thing that The Van was is famous for: The Turning Radius. Maybe the S-10 has a small one too, since they are related - but this '92 w/ stock 235s on it has the smallest of ANY car I have driven ( 'cept the VWs ).

LOVE the tight turning radius! it's way easy to park. and me too 235's, the van came with >80% new Toyo A/T 2's, only P's but still a stout tire at 44psi.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby augidog [OP] » August 19th 2020, 2:14pm

well, since I posted something and then changed my mind, I might as well mention that after a couple days of very smooth & responsive performance, I'm positive the old injector needed replacing even though I'd already loved the van as it was.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby sixsix » August 20th 2020, 1:49pm

You show em', augi. Vans are fun to drive. Good to have n' better than most other used vehicles.

Hope you are safe - we kinda' worry a bit about 'out west'.
Then the guns thing...

I have not been feeling well and have 'overdone' it when I did.
Hope to 'get back soon' and have fun reading and writing - thanks for pinch running... LOL

I also saw that Will popped in.

sixsix

Postby augidog [OP] » August 20th 2020, 2:08pm

Reedsport is "rural" in that we're a blip on rt 101. Portland is over 3 hrs away, but the nastiness is also in Eugene only an hour.5 off the coast. background checks are taking forever and many suspect some of the delay is political in nature.

my van, now in tip top shape, is the perfect bug-out vehicle, but from here there's not many options on where to bug-out to. we'll pretty much have to stand our ground if it comes to that. I am trying to remain optimistic, but it's tense around here lately.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby augidog [OP] » August 27th 2020, 1:59pm

speaking of exhaust (elsewhere on the forum) does anyone have direct experience with NAPA EXH 50423 Y-pipe / Catalytic Converter? Any issues with fitment? longevity? is a 2-pc Bosal or MagnaFlow worth the extra money?

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to put one on the shelf. Thanks in advance for any input.

(my van is OBD1, also not subject to Oregon emission test, in case that affects your feedback)
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby Ironsides » August 27th 2020, 5:35pm

I'm glad you got your van running right.
Sorry the world lost it's rightful collective mind, this is the hell in the hand basket they spoke of.
I'd be surprised if the NAPA exhaust Y didn't fit well. I used the p'blaster a day in advance on those stud nuts, no problem pulling them off at all. I was told I needed a CAT from a friend army mechanic, a few runs back and forth up to New Jersey non stop cleared it up. For the sake of environment and fresh smelling air I'd just replace it with OEM type but any extra spends for exhaust should enhance performance in my opinion. Match it with cool air box and larger intake, get a few more horses and a nice growl.
I'd get that set-up myself but I'm supposed to fix, sell my house and move to the land of emissions regulations. My exhaust is now don't fix unless it's broke or throwing a code.
Stay safe and well.
Ironsides
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD Custom HD

Postby sixsix » August 27th 2020, 6:15pm

Ironsides wrote: ... and move to the land of emissions regulations.

ooooh... where are my voodoo hex sticks... "goin' to Cali..." ?? ( great ref to Lumpy and Plant !! )

sixsix

Postby Ironsides » August 27th 2020, 8:00pm

sixsix wrote:ooooh... where are my voodoo hex sticks... "goin' to Cali..." ?? ( great ref to Lumpy and Plant !! )

No, I wish, the other side, New Jersey :/
Ironsides
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD Custom HD

Postby augidog [OP] » August 29th 2020, 3:25pm

I've seen talk of lubricating window tracks. on my own, I'm thinking sil-glyde on a cotton swab.

edit: it worked like a charm on my conversion window lower sliders.
Last edited by augidog on August 29th 2020, 5:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby augidog [OP] » August 29th 2020, 5:17pm

and just like that, today is the day the driver's window starts going intermittent on me. hopefully it's connections.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby augidog [OP] » August 29th 2020, 7:01pm

the window went intermittent while I was cranking it up and down to lube the track. after some experimenting, I'm certain it's the motor overheating. I had some amazon card points and a gift card balance, and snagged the acdelco part for a pretty good out-of-pocket price.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

PreviousNext