Dometic CF50 issue

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Dometic CF50 issue

Postby cutieXpanda [OP] » May 22nd 2020, 11:48pm

Hi AstroSafari :)

Recently I took the dive and purchased a Dometic CF50 Fridge/Freezer from Rei because it was on sale..

It arrived today and I tried setting it up but it keeps shutting down and restarting on me.

I'm running a 12V battery, two 100W solar panels, and using a 30A charge controller. My inverter is a 600W Pure Sine Wave inverter. After connecting the 24V/12V port into the fridge I used my USB-to-cigarette lighter adapter to plug the fridge into my inverter.

The unit starts up, the fan blows for a few seconds, it turns off then repeats.

My first guess is that the USB-to-cigarette lighter adapter isn't sufficient.. so I plugged it into my vehicles cigarette lighter and it turns on, the display turns off.. then the power light blinks without the fans blowing.

Where do I go from here?
Should I charge it in my house until it reaches the desired temperature then place it in my build?
Original Poster [OP]
cutieXpanda
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Mallory
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Re: Dometic CF50 issue

Postby Sailing_Faith » May 23rd 2020, 1:38am

USB to cigarette lighter plug is your problem. Install a proper 12v jack... I like Marinco .
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 7 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 7 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 7 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 7 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 7 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 7 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 55
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby cutieXpanda [OP] » May 23rd 2020, 1:46am

I'm unfamiliar with Marinco and have no experience wiring 12v jacks. Is the process simple enough for me to do it in my van with basic hand tools?
Original Poster [OP]
cutieXpanda
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Mallory
Van Model Year: 2003

Postby Birdshake » May 25th 2020, 3:30pm

Does the cooler work fine when it’s plugged in at home to standard wall socket?
The dometic is supposed to be powered from 12v when in the van. Going through the inverter is a waste and it’s unable to give it the power it needs. You’ll need to install the fridge directly to the battery using the appropriate gauged wire and a fuse.
2005 AWD Astro Cargo
3.73 Eaton Posi
S10 HD Springs 3" blocks
245/75/16 BFG Mud-Terrain
KYB Monomax
Birdshake
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Birdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby dchan51360 » May 25th 2020, 8:37pm

Sailing faith got it..

USB only puts out max 2.1 amps at 5 V so about 10 W (give or take)
The Dometic requires 7A at 12v so it's looking to draw 84W (or there abouts)

I would suggest you don't try that again. You may seriously damage the USB/Cigarette lighter device or even start a fire if you don't blow fuses first.

Even some Cigarette lighters/accessory outlets don't put out enough current to drive some of these heavier powered devices. Some of the inline fuses I've gotten with some of the accessory outlets I've gotten are only 5A.

Getting an outlet/jack designed to put out 10A and wiring it directly to your battery fuse box would be your best bet. Don't forget to put in the fuses with it.

As far as ease, If you want to do it right, you should solder all connections for something like this but at the bare minimum you want high quality crimps with calibrated crimpers to install these. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. Red or Positive goes to Red/positive and Black goes to ground.

DC
dchan51360
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 3 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 3 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 6
Van Model Year: 1999

Return to Projects/Builds

It is currently May 30th 2020, 4:58pm

Projects/Builds Forum
Projects/BuildsEach members' project build thread. Post details and photos, past and present, of your projects coming together. Restorations, modifications, or customizations of a vehicle and a sequential history of the progress. Build-up threads only!
To create a new topic in Projects/Builds, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Attached by: Mr_Roboto
Mr_Roboto
in Projects/Builds
Views: 1490
Comments: 49
Date: Yesterday
Time: 6:58am
» Read last comment