2004 Cargo WIP

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 2004 Cargo WIP

Postby dcsleeper » September 27th 2020, 6:22pm

backinabox wrote:I'm going to clean up and paint the diff. cover today ...

They're like 12 bux new. check yer LAPS
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rorge Astro 2000 cargo build
    by rorgeastro » December 2nd 2020, 7:36am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by rorgeastro View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 11:10pm
  • 1989 Cargo Rebuild
    by Slime » December 4th 2020, 8:21pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 8:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 9th 2021, 11:41am

Postby backinabox [OP] » September 28th 2020, 3:53am

Thanks for the tip dcsleeper but I went with my original plan, it took me maybe 40 minutes all told with the use of my neighbors blast cabinet for the cover and bolts and a rattle can of gunmetal I had on the shelf... it may not be pretty but it didn't cost me squat, I'm trying to keep my spending to parts that I have no choice but to buy... said the old timer on social security
Attachments
P9271057.JPG
2004 Astro Rwd Cargo work in progress
2009 Colorado ext. Z71 4x4 5.3 V8 hotrod - Daily driver
1978 G20 Shorty Van -SOLD
1998 Astro AWD Cargo - MagnaFlow exhaust,Volant Cold Intake,Hellwig rear sway bar, 93 SS454 rims -SOLD
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: backinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Deano
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby backinabox [OP] » September 29th 2020, 3:39am

The Addco rear Sway Bar has been on back order, and then today I received an e-mail from SD Truck Springs it is being shipped :bouncy:
1998 Astro AWD Cargo - MagnaFlow exhaust,Volant Cold Intake,Hellwig rear sway bar, 93 SS454 rims -SOLD
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox
Years of Membership: backinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full years

Postby backinabox [OP] » October 4th 2020, 8:15pm

I don't have anything major to report just lot of stupid small details that kept me busy all week. I did replace the AC Evaporator and flush the heater core. I'm thinking I should throw a new water pump at it while the front of the motor is still accessible....The P/O was running stop-leak in it so I have the feeling it will fail at some point, probably when it's blistering hot out on the road somewhere far from home...
The engine bay is starting to look better with all rusty parts blasted and painted. I still want to replace the two brake lines coming out of the Master Cyl. and recondition the Hydro Booster but they're not terribly hard to get at and not critical yet, they can wait... winter's coming...
With the rear-end finished I just need to install the new Sway Bar...
This week I'm going to tackle the dirty nasty job of crawling on the ground and sand blasting the under carriage ... I'll install the new sway bar after this is done
I picked up a bag of Play Sand at the local Industrial supply house, it's only $6 a bag, pre-washed so it won't contaminate the metal or the ground or make the chickens sick...
Attachments
PA041068.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Postby AstroWill » October 4th 2020, 9:22pm

backinabox wrote:I'm trying to keep my spending to parts that I have no choice but to buy

:thumbup: :thumbup:
That is the way to go IMO.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby dcsleeper » October 4th 2020, 11:16pm

I can report there is no FUN in this method.
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA): DC
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby sixsix » October 6th 2020, 11:56pm

backinabox wrote:... The engine bay is starting to look better with all rusty parts blasted and painted. ...

I picked up a bag of Play Sand at the local Industrial supply house, it's only $6 a bag, pre-washed so it won't contaminate the metal or the ground or make the chickens sick...

Love the Attention to Detail - don't get that too much of that around here from Gen II owners.

741 Front End looks like New
Gen I Here

Still looks like it today...

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Ironsides » October 7th 2020, 12:17am

backinabox, that's a real nice van, very clean, you are fixing it up well, you got a little while for the level of your really really nice S10.
Cleaning the underside with blasting sand, you have some serious drive to want to do that, more than I do.
Ironsides
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD Custom HD

Postby backinabox [OP] » October 8th 2020, 1:23am

dcsleeper wrote:I can report there is no FUN in this method.

I agree, my past projects had few constraints during their builds but this one has a different end goal with somewhat limited funds I'm shooting for more function than Bling

sixsix wrote:
backinabox wrote:... The engine bay is starting to look better with all rusty parts blasted and painted. ...

Love the Attention to Detail - don't get that too much of that around here from Gen II owners.

741 Front End looks like New
Gen I Here

Still looks like it today...

That's a gorgeous 1st gen so clean !!! :thumbup: It's nice to find people who appreciate detail, most folks around here do not get it and most look at my funny when I tell them what I'm working on...and that's why we drive what we do...we get it
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Postby backinabox [OP] » October 8th 2020, 2:22am

Safarimeister wrote:Nice work... very interested to know just how those 18" rims will fit.

I think they fit good...The rims will be getting bright red Bowtie Decals on the center caps...They're out far enough to standout, yet inside the body so there's no contact with the slider...the rear tires could be a little taller for my taste but I wanted tires I could rotate and use the originals for spares.
the front's will come out substantially once on the ground, right now they look goofy hanging there...

The Gloss Black Rim brings out the black hue in this formula of Pewter...never was a fan of black rims but I'm kinda digging it

The water pump is done, the G-van left behind a gift in the form of some leftover Copper engine paint & since my GM satin black supply is out and nobody will see it, why not? .....the Intake and Compressor mount look oily, I just sprayed them with F/Film

I should have it running this weekend, Can't wait to see it back on the ground
Attachments
PA071074.JPG
PA071076.JPG
PA071075.JPG
PA071077.JPG
PA071080.JPG
PA071081.JPG
PA071082.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Postby backinabox [OP] » November 7th 2020, 2:58am

I sand blasted the underside where ever I found rust then treated it with Rustoleum and Fluid Film. installed the Addco Rear Sway Bar, installed the carpet I got at the Salvage Yard after scrubbing it for an hour, lol...and now It is running and driving I just need to bleed the brakes one more time. I put the Flowmaster 40 on it and wow was it throaty then the Gibson Dual Side Exit Exhaust showed up so I installed it today it's still loud but kinda cool, I think once I install a new Cat it'll be fine. I need to cut the tailpipes back for the polished tips. I'll get some update photos tomorrow
Attachments
PA111084.JPG
PA111086.JPG
PB031132.JPG
PB031141.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Postby backinabox [OP] » November 7th 2020, 3:08am

The Gibson pipes looked huge until they're in place. it's a Nice fit, everything clears even the sway bar which was my main concern.
Attachments
PB031137.JPG
PB031138.JPG
PB031133.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Postby backinabox [OP] » November 7th 2020, 3:19am

The carpet from the salvage yard was so freakin dirty but after it was soaked with Tide detergent for an hour then scrubbed and rinsed it looks pretty good and I bought a nice set of used Gray GM floor Mats off e-bay they're in real nice shape and go great with gray carpet it looks so much better than the OEM black vinyl mat it came with.
Attachments
PA301129.JPG
PA301130.JPG
PB031131.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Postby sixsix » November 8th 2020, 9:53pm

Brand New ( NOS ? ) Floor Mats !!!

Double Score !!

:rockon: :rockon:

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby backinabox [OP] » November 13th 2020, 4:49am

sixsix wrote:Brand New ( NOS ? ) Floor Mats !!!

Double Score !!

:rockon: :rockon:

I wish they were New but alas they're used but in real good condition and Mothers Protectant makes Em Shine...

I'm digging the Gibson Cat Back it sounds Throaty and deep just like a truck should...Everyone that's heard it said "wow that sounds like a V8" ...I think it's that big truck style round muffler and the two tips that break it up and make it sound bigger than it is :think:...I was real hesitant to spend $600 bucks on a cat back system but after hearing it run with that obnoxious Flow Master 40series I can honestly say this system was worth it :thumbup:
I can't wait any longer "gotta drive it" The new registration will be here next week so it's time for a stereo build...I purchased JVC components and Kicker speakers..it's getting a JVC 800w amp for the door speaks and tweets also two 6x9's that'll go in a slant box along with a 10" sub pushed by a 200w amp of it's own...it'll crank for sure and should be loud enough for me lol...plus the box is portable so it can be stood up in the slider to get the party started...
I got most of the wires run today...Tomorrow will be like Christmas...There's just something about unboxing stereo equipment
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Postby backinabox [OP] » December 30th 2020, 3:27am

took these shots as I was wheeling it into the tent for the winter but not before I went around the block for the first time since doing all the work to it...wow what a difference, the new suspension parts, KYB shocks and new sway bars make it feel rock solid no more top heavy body roll...it is tight... can't freakin wait to drive this thing...
Attachments
PB041147.JPG
PB041148.JPG
PB041153.JPG
PB041150.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Postby backinabox [OP] » December 30th 2020, 3:35am

I picked up a Flowmaster high flow CAT for it . I couldn't get over the price difference between a cat for 2 3/4" pipes and 3". I got the 3" Flwomaster and two reducers to mate up with the oem pipes for a fraction of the 2 3/4 cats
Attachments
PC291198.JPG
PC291196.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
backinabox

Previous