Mark's rear drive to AWD/4x4 conversion

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Mark's rear drive to AWD/4x4 conversion

Postby markmitch [OP] » November 29th 2020, 4:29pm

Went to pnp yesterday and grabbed a valve body for my 700R4 out of a 91 Silverado 4x4 truck I am going to clean it up replace a few items and check all moving parts then install it. My transmission is a 91 also so it will match up. Cost was $53.00
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 622
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1989- RS to 4x4 swap list
    by markmitch » September 12th 2020, 4:27pm in Projects/Builds
    27 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 8th 2020, 4:48pm
  • 2002 Chevy Astro Cargo AWD Stealth Camper Conversion
    by YaYa » September 2nd 2020, 9:18pm in Projects/Builds
    12 Replies
    Last post by YaYa View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 1:32am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 17th 2021, 7:05am

Postby AstroWill » November 30th 2020, 5:13pm

Glad to hear you are making progress. So you tested your transmission and found it to be a valve body problem?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby markmitch [OP] » November 30th 2020, 6:12pm

there was a broken aluminum valve in the valve body and I could not get it out. Not sure what that did to my shifting ability but I replaced it so we shall see.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years

Postby sixsix » November 30th 2020, 7:32pm

markmitch wrote:So a few years ago I rebuilt my 700R4 and I never did figure out why the reverse was out...
markmitch wrote:Went to pnp yesterday and grabbed a valve body for my 700R4 out of a 91 Silverado 4x4 truck I am going to clean it up replace a few items and check all moving parts then install it. My transmission is a 91 also so it will match up. Cost was $53.00
markmitch wrote:there was a broken aluminum valve in the valve body and I could not get it out. Not sure what that did to my shifting ability but I replaced it so we shall see.

Gosh, Mark. Wouldn't you want to be sure you got to the right thing...?

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.
But no way does this let the Democrats or the MSM off the Hook.

sixsix
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 2nd 2020, 1:01am

Yeah I got the right thing. Anyway since my van is an 89 and the AWD frame is a 98 the front brake lines were not useable from either van. I Went to 3 different parts store and finally found a 6 foot section of 3/16 line at Napa which is in another town. Picture of how I did since it was my first time bending and shaping and attaching the line. I used steel clamps with rubber to attaching the line.
Attachments
brake lines.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 8th 2020, 1:22am

I got the transmission back together and the engine and transmission are together mounted in the frame, I hurt my back again doing this today but it will heal. I will take some pictures tomorrow before I start working again. Tomorrow I will finish the transmission install then install the transfer case. On the transmission I still have to bolt the torque converter to the flywheel and put the cover on. Coming right along pretty fast as long as the weather stays like this it could be done by the end of January.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby AstroWill » December 8th 2020, 4:42am

Sweet, can't wait to see more pictures.
Take care of your body man, you only get one.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 9th 2020, 3:01am

Well it seems I have a new problem to figure out, the exhaust manifold on the passenger side it sitting right against the frame. I will take some measurements and see if I can find another manifold that is not so close.
For some reason I am having a hard time posting more then two pictures so more to come tomorrow. Enjoy the pictures, Mark
Attachments
done2.jpg
done1.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 12th 2020, 4:58am

So far I have found out this: stock truck V8 exhaust manifolds-passenger side hits the frame, I grinded both the frame and the manifold for now and got about 3/16's of an inch space between the two. The transmission lines on my parts van were junk so I had to bend new ones since the rear drive lines are totally different. The 98 frame had anti lock brakes and hydro boost. My 89 has master cylinder brakes non anti lock so I had to buy and bend new lines for the front. The front bumper from my 89 Astro bolt pattern was different from the front frame from the 98 so I marked the brackets and drilled to make them fit onto the 98 frame horns. After I do the 2" lift I will figure out how to raise the bumper to match the lifted body. Also the high pressure line for the ps pump from the 89 does not fit on the 98 so after a bit of reading i found a 1990 non hydroboost AWD line will work in its place. Mark
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 13th 2020, 11:21pm

Another thing I found out today" : the oil dipstick for the stock V8 pan will not fit into the engine with the modified pan. I am going to get the dipstick tube from a 4.3 S-10 4x4 then get a adjustable dipstick from summit and see if that fixes the problem.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 15th 2020, 5:17am

OK so after reading a bunch of other peoples posts and builds and such I decided to stay with the AWD system until I feel I need 4x4 which may never happen. Luckily according to the Cyclone/Typhoon sites this is a very strong transfer case (BW4472) . I also decided to keep the truck manifolds for now but in the meantime I will continue to look into other manifolds since they made many different styles over the years. I may not even add the lift till after we move since I have a set of 215/75R15 tires almost new that came off the parts van to use for the time being. I figure I will do the lift when I can buy bigger tires-I would like to go with 235/70R15's
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 16th 2020, 3:59am

One more thing to add. The high pressure line for the power steering from the rear drive will not work so I ordered one for a 91 AWD and it fit after some bending by hand. as I said before my 89 had regular steering and brakes so I could not use the lines from the 98 since it had hydro-boost. The 91 AWD did ot have hydro-boost so that is why I ordered for it.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 2:06am

Bolted the transfer case on today, and the front drive shaft and torque arm. Got to wait till my check comes in to go much further. The Y pipe I had custom made for the rear drive Astro will have to be completely redone to fit the new frame. Here are a few pictures I took today. Mark
Attachments
AWD-2.jpg
AWD-3.jpg
AWD-4.jpg
AWD-5.jpg
AWD1.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Brewtus » December 22nd 2020, 6:17am

I'm excited to keep reading about your progress. Your conversation really interests me. I enjoy looking at the subframe totally detached. These bands are so cool haha.
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Brewtus has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Vivian & Dylan
Van Model Year: 1986
Extra Info: 1987 Aerolite Resto.

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 6:25am

I like to do things other people say not to. I really prefer the size and look of my shorty Astro so it was worth it to me to make it AWD.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 8:35pm

Here she is almost back together. The body is just sitting on the 2"blocks and poly mounts I still have to buy the bolts but I am considering buying the 3" blocks instead. or maybe doing the 2" for now and see if I want it higher since I already bought the 2" blocks. I still have not asked for help. lol. Some of the links wimpy put in his write up on the lift are no longer good for some reason. and my stock rear drive 1st gen steering shaft fits just fine.
Attachments
joined 2.jpg
joined3.jpg
joined4.jpg
joined5.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby sixsix » December 22nd 2020, 9:06pm

Brewtus wrote:I'm excited to keep reading about your progress. Your conversation really interests me. I enjoy looking at the subframe totally detached. These bands are so cool haha.

Well... we are always excited when his conversations about bands were really cool, too!!
...uh, what?

LOL - ;)

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.
But no way does this let the Democrats or the MSM off the Hook.

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby The Drummer » December 22nd 2020, 9:07pm

Man thats a lot of work , wasen t there factory shorty s awd? , i know not v 8 but , man those orange ramp , had the exact same ones at dads ,used those since i was a teen i think , a little bit crooked too .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 11:36pm

Yeah I think they did make some AWD shorties but finding one now is like a needle in a hay stack and non were RS models. The biggest reasons I decided to do this was because I figured I have seen so many people asking if it is possible and yet I have never heard of anyone actually doing it so I figured if I can find the right donor for the right price then I will just go ahead and do it. Then I found the 98 for 400 and sold off enough to make my cost for the frame, suspension, front diff & the transfer for maybe 40 bucks total. SCORE! So the process is going together. I like to do things others don't agree with lol.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Rod's Trucks » December 23rd 2020, 5:50am

Almost can't see that pretty blue engine block hiding in there!
Rod J
Issaquah, WA
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

PreviousNext