Pop top for GMC Safari 2005

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Pop top for GMC Safari 2005

Postby Olivier02 [OP] » February 14th 2021, 4:42am

Hi !

I am convinced that there will be no solution for my project (i read that there's maybe CCV) but do you know of a company that still holds the mold of a safari / astro pop top or can build one?

I am in Quebec (Canada) and there was the Safari Condo company which did a lot at the time, but they told me that they had nothing more related to the gmc safari ... they threw the mold and all plans. Either they are liars or they are a bunch of idiots and i am polite. They switched to express/savana, etc.

thanks a lot
Attachments
153613294.vGDekt0R.DSCF00464x6.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Olivier02
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Olivier
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT AWD 4.3L

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 02 gmc safari build
    by Rahdigs » October 15th 2020, 5:40am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 11:25pm
  • 2002 Safari Conversion
    by microbet » October 4th 2020, 11:14pm in Projects/Builds
    11 Replies
    Last post by microbet View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 5:45am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 9:57am

Re: Pop top for GMC Safari 2005

Postby SportsBoy » February 14th 2021, 1:44pm

CCV will do one for big $$$$$$

That's probably it besides diy
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » February 14th 2021, 1:52pm

Yeah I don't get that, it's really more of a niche market, other than not having space to store the mold I don't know why they'd get rid of it.
Even if not much demand, there are still people that would like one, and other people buying their "new" A/S vans and would like to get one.

I've seen a number of DIY tops ranging from pickup truck caps to wood, but about the nicest I've seen is this one:
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby AstroWill » February 14th 2021, 4:35pm

Once they get down to 1-2 a year or less it's not really profitable for them to continue. Much better to focus all efforts and skills on a vehicle that they can do 50-100+ a year.
Good for them, bad for us.

DIY or CCV as mentioned, I haven't heard of anyone else doing them.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby justjoel » February 24th 2021, 1:03pm

Hey there. I am building my own custom pop top for a 2003 Astro. I took inspiration from a truck wedge camper design I stumbled upon. I ultimately needed a second "bedroom" for my kiddo so I set to building a pop top. Ideally I would've liked to get a "factory" high top to use as the topper but couldn't find one locally (didn't have the patience to wait for one to pop up).
It's been a pretty simple build so far but I am by no means a master craftsman haha.
What I did was built the topper using a skeleton of 1x2s and skinned it with thin plywood, coated the topper with fiberglass mat and resin, reinforced the skeleton structure with fiberglass, built a frame using 2x4s, attached the topper with hinges and 80lb gas struts (x2). Cut the opening in the van, removed 2 support beams (left the one connecting the pillar by the sliding door to the opposite side pillar because this one is structural - if you remove this one you should probably make the topper frame out of steel and bolt/weld it securely to the top of the van structure). I bolted the topper frame to the left over roofing supports in the van with grade 8 bolts, sealed the gap from the frame to the topper with some 1" foam weather seals, installed to inexpensive clamps to clamp the topper to the frame.... that is about where I am currently in the build. Not much invested except time and effort and a little material... might be an option if you're hell bent on having a pop top!
I have no idea what I'm doing.
justjoel
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): Joel
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Pop Top Build

Postby dcsleeper » February 24th 2021, 2:30pm

If you're going to install one yourself, it doesn't strike me as 'too' much more work to make your own fiberglass mold and make the topper yourself. Good Luck!
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby BPACH » February 24th 2021, 2:48pm

That looks great. Can we see more pictures of it?

justjoel wrote:Hey there. I am building my own custom pop top for a 2003 Astro. I took inspiration from a truck wedge camper design I stumbled upon. I ultimately needed a second "bedroom" for my kiddo so I set to building a pop top. Ideally I would've liked to get a "factory" high top to use as the topper but couldn't find one locally (didn't have the patience to wait for one to pop up).
It's been a pretty simple build so far but I am by no means a master craftsman haha.
What I did was built the topper using a skeleton of 1x2s and skinned it with thin plywood, coated the topper with fiberglass mat and resin, reinforced the skeleton structure with fiberglass, built a frame using 2x4s, attached the topper with hinges and 80lb gas struts (x2). Cut the opening in the van, removed 2 support beams (left the one connecting the pillar by the sliding door to the opposite side pillar because this one is structural - if you remove this one you should probably make the topper frame out of steel and bolt/weld it securely to the top of the van structure). I bolted the topper frame to the left over roofing supports in the van with grade 8 bolts, sealed the gap from the frame to the topper with some 1" foam weather seals, installed to inexpensive clamps to clamp the topper to the frame.... that is about where I am currently in the build. Not much invested except time and effort and a little material... might be an option if you're hell bent on having a pop top!
BPACH
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Brian
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: RWD

Postby sixsix » February 24th 2021, 4:23pm

justjoel wrote:Hey there. I am building my own custom pop top for a 2003 Astro. ...

Hey - backatcha!! Welcome to the Forum. These High-Top boys could use your help - LOL
Nice work ( albeit from a dist. - reminds me of that date when I was just out of HS, but I digress... )
Would Love more pics, warts n' all, promise we won't ridicule too awful bad ...
Last edited by sixsix on February 24th 2021, 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby justjoel » February 24th 2021, 6:12pm

This is what I have so far:
If I would do it again, I would make it stand less proud off the van roof. It sits about 10" off the original roof line. My though process was that I would be able to store the upper loft mattress in place when the topper is closed so I wouldn't have to pull it down while in transit.
I cut the van roof opening short so I could bend the sheet metal up and attach the metal to the topper frame. This will aid in water proofing.
I used Amazon clamps to clamp the topper to the frame.
Other things: I put some cheap "hardwood" flooring in and built an expandable bed for the lower section which will expand to a full size mattress.
I plan on installing some counter space, little sink and running water via a small water pump and a little electrical system (probably just a deep cycle battery and an inverter).
Not planning to live in the van, just a weekend get-away-mobile.
Got the van for $900 off govdeals.com so I don't want to sink too much money into the project haha. Still very much a work in progress but I'm happy with it so far.
justjoel
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby dcsleeper » February 24th 2021, 6:18pm

Snakes!
You got SNAKES!!
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby justjoel » February 24th 2021, 8:14pm

Factory snakes.
justjoel
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby MI_Ghost » February 28th 2021, 2:56pm

:confused: What happened to the pictures?
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box