Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Bart the V8 4wd/Awd Astro

9K views 65 replies 12 participants last post by  Jimmyastroawddream 
#1 ·
This is Bart the Destroyer story, starting half way in. I will post earlier pictures here in the future. But for now this is where he is.
A 5.7 vortec with a cam and a few other goodies and a tune, with a NP 246 Transfer case. Starting on the front drive shaft and exhaust in my mock-up frame before pull Bart into the garage. Most likely after Christmas.

Some things I have done already 5" lift, 17" wheels, roof rack, spare tire carrier, and Bumper.

Things on my list Front bumper and rock sliders.

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
sixsix said:
Bigforkg said:
WinnieVan said:
that's sick -- nice work.
Thank you! Glad someone out there likes it.
That is a "massive-looking", hopefully lighter than it looks,

Glad you got your 246 TC working - is your fully functional unit a first for the Forum here?
Guessing around 65lbs not a lot more than imported $,$$$ aluminum awnings out there. So the 10lbs or so extra Im not at all concerned.

The Tcase someone else did but last I read it didnt shift right. So Functional, I say yes.

#64 ·
Update. All is good. So glad I lifted the engine and trans instead of a cut and hack oil pan! Im building a 2nd van and what a PITA is to work on with the engine in its stock location. The 270 ° Awning is coming just go tied up in the second van for awhile.

#65 ·
All is good. The 246 transfer case was the right call. Love having the 4 wheel auto sure helps going from snow/ice to payment without having to constantly change from 4wd to 2wd. Where I live you can have packed snow to dry pavement in a half mile. Turn a corner and back to ice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.