Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Bart the V8 4wd/Awd Astro

9K views 65 replies 12 participants last post by  Jimmyastroawddream 
#1 ·
This is Bart the Destroyer story, starting half way in. I will post earlier pictures here in the future. But for now this is where he is.
A 5.7 vortec with a cam and a few other goodies and a tune, with a NP 246 Transfer case. Starting on the front drive shaft and exhaust in my mock-up frame before pull Bart into the garage. Most likely after Christmas.

Some things I have done already 5" lift, 17" wheels, roof rack, spare tire carrier, and Bumper.

Things on my list Front bumper and rock sliders.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I didnt mention earlier that the Engine, trans and transfer case are all out of a 99 Tahoe. So I found the part needed to make the Tahoe front driveshaft bolt up to the astro front diff. Should be here after Christmas. Best part no need to lengthen the driveshaft. Just concerned the oil filter my be a little close to it .75 inch.

Attachments

#12 ·
markmitch said:
ok Thank you, I raised mine 1/4 inch just to get more room from oil pan to front differential.
Also my full sized oil filter is 1/8" from the front drive shaft I may have to use a relocation kit.
Ya i think 1/8" is to close. Have you looked at 95-96 chevy Caprice oil filter adapter? Pushes it towards the engine more.

#13 ·
Sorry nothing in a few weeks, just waiting on some parts to arrive. They did and now just a few days from getting it all back together. Did get the Tahoe front drive line set up and the stock length is just right. So far putting the NP 246, no different TC adaptors or drive line modification other than a conversion ujoint.

#14 ·
I bought a oil filter relocation kit from summit racing but I have to bend some elbow type pipes to get it where I want it.
I will take pictures after I get it installed. Right now I have the subframe pulled back out to weld up my exhaust Y pipe and replace the upper control arms. After that it will be bolted back in for good.(I hope)
Great project you have there glad to see it coming along. Just a thought: I used to build off road rigs and have a buddy back in New England that still does them for a living and we both agreed on one thing. Bigger wheels equate to smaller sidewall tires which is not a good thing for any off roading. The sidewall takes the beating and protects the vehicle from the beating. Just think about that.

#15 ·
I agree on the tire and wheel size. One thing I am looking to do down the road a bit is a Ford 8.8 rear axle. Or just do a sfa swap and do a matching real axle, not sure what way I will go yet. When I do I want to see wheel options in 15 or 16 again so I can get more tire and less wheel. 15" tires dont offer much for options.

#16 ·
Worked on the exhaust flanges cut them out of 3/8". Drilled the holes, perfect first try. Modified the Tahoe and Astro dip stick tubes painted and installed. Came out good.

Attachments

#18 ·
Did some more work on Bart. Sorry I get caught up in doing things and forget to take pics. Painted the frame, put the drive train in and back under the van.

Attachments

#20 ·
When you welded the shock mounts on the axle did you do it with the assembly in it or not I ask because I was told one should never weld the rear diff with the guts inside of it due to the heat hurting the bearings and seals. I wish to do some welding on one in the future to change out the way GM designed the leaf spring attachments.

#23 ·
Rockridge said:
Awesome job so far.
Thanks

markmitch said:
When you welded the shock mounts on the axle did you do it with the assembly in it or not I ask because I was told one should never weld the rear diff with the guts inside of it due to the heat hurting the bearings and seals. I wish to do some welding on one in the future to change out the way GM designed the leaf spring attachments.
Yes left everything in. The shock mounts were far enough away if you weld one piece let it cool completely then the other side.

dcsleeper said:
LOVE the little dollies!
They brought the lower control arms 1.5" above the floor. Didn't have to lift the body as high to clear.

#25 ·
Finishing up on the air cleaner assembly, still need the end piece. The hardest part was making sure I could get to everything I needed to without taking it off. Like oil dipsticks and brake reservoir and still shut the hood. I used a air filter from the Tahoe. Got lucky again the Tahoe elbow with temp sensor and air filter service indicator along with a silicon 90 worked perfect. I could have made it easier by using a K&N filter but I wont put that crap filter on anything. No I'm not concerned about not having cold air to it.

Now for oil fill, possible passenger side valve cover?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.