Retro Astro

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Retro Astro

Postby Rune [OP] » May 24th 2012, 8:45pm

I've decided to turn my 2000 RWD Astro into a retro land cruiser. I got the van stock in September 2011 and I have so far replaced the headlight lenses, taillight lenses, turn signal lenses, and the radio and four of the speakers. I also installed an LED light bar in the small space under the back doors.

What I intend to do is:

Swap in a 5.7 vortec engine
Swap in a tougher rear end with a limited slip differential
New springs with a set of heavy duty leaves in the back to replace the old ones
Dual exhaust to get a throatier sound and replace the old components
New rims, based on old style truck:
http://www.shopvintagewheels.com/15x7-c ... p/WV33002/
something like this once I come up with a way to change to 6 bolt without adapters
Black Cherry paint
Custom stainless or chrome trim
And a new interior, which I'm still deciding on how I want it to look.
Original Poster [OP]
Rune
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Rune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2002 Chevy Astro Cargo AWD Stealth Camper Conversion
    by YaYa » September 2nd 2020, 9:18pm in Projects/Builds
    12 Replies
    Last post by YaYa View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 1:32am
  • 96 Astro in Seattle
    by rozmpatterson » October 26th 2020, 6:52pm in Projects/Builds
    3 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    October 31st 2020, 4:43pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 3rd 2021, 4:45pm

Re: Retro Astro

Postby Rune [OP] » May 25th 2012, 1:55am

Any thoughts?
Original Poster [OP]
Rune
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Rune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full yearsRune has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby MadMaxiVan » May 25th 2012, 2:38am

a couple actually
first off,hows your state on inspections?
how you gonna pass a v-8 van thru on a v6 inspection?
/vin/tells the inspection puter that its supposed to be a v6.... :confused:

thats why i gave up,cause my state is too messed up..nys.

secondly,why would you convert to a 6 lug setup??
the 5 is plenty strong..and redrilling axles to a 6 bolt pattern might not be so easy... :banghead:
MadMaxiVan
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 4.3 auto 2wd

Postby chevymaher » May 25th 2012, 2:39am

Sounds like you got the plan already. Sounds good and will look great.
I imagine they are hard to find as hens teeth. But I found out there was a option for a 8.5 rear end in these vans. All the parts places have listings for them. I personally just upgraded the 7.5 rear end. I have personally witnessed one in a 850 HP car that is now going behind a 440 big block.
They take it pretty well. Or a ford 9 inch is popular swap. there are threads in the forum.
Here is what I did. It is putting up with 300 plus horses without even groaning.

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=14227

As for interior if your going retro. Do the 60's van thing. Bed TV radio in the back. Camper/party mobile.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Rune [OP] » May 25th 2012, 6:52pm

to MadMaxiVan
Well, when I bought the car it wasn't inspected. I'm not completely sure. Michigan is pretty lax on inspections and emission controls, if that's what you mean.

As for the bolt pattern, i'm trying to find some rims that I like that are a 5 bolt pattern, that are a type like that. If I don't have to change the pattern I won't, but I plan on putting larger brakes on as well, so I don't know how that will figure into this yet.

To Chevymaher
What's the 8.5? Is that the 8.8? I was asking about the 9 inch rear in a different post and I was told the 8.8 from a ford explorer would work, so I'm looking into that as well. My rear end is an open differential in a very rusty, kind of beaten up case.

You replaced your differential with a stronger one, right?
Original Poster [OP]
Rune
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » May 25th 2012, 7:36pm

Yes I put in a lot heavier differential.

The GM 8.5, I was getting gaskets for changing the grease in the rear end. Parts guy ask if I had a 8.5, 7.625 or a 7.5. What? We talked looked up some stuff.
Their books show GM as having one in the vans, also shared by same year S-10's and blazers. They got listings for bearings, gears the whole nine yards.
I don't know, seems like their selling the parts it must have been an option. Be it one few knew about. I thought it was interesting to say the least. First I ever heard about it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby MadMaxiVan » May 25th 2012, 7:50pm

what i meant was this
does your state require the vehicle to be plugged into the state inspection computer it being a 2000?

if so,then you may have problems passing because you are putting a v8 into a v6 van
the computer is going to try to inspect it as a v6 van based off the VIN.

thats why i couldnt v8 my 98. ( here in new york )

if you just need a safety inspection/2000/your state/then youll have no issues.
you should Definitely check into this before you spend one thin dime for a v8 swap.

then consider this..in like what,95 down,you can do a v8 swap one wire hookup.
shazaam! done.
in a 2000,you will need All sorts of things,v8 computer,etc etc.

good luck and Mr Maher is the guru,he knows more and prolly forgotten more than ill ever know.
MadMaxiVan
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: MadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 4.3 auto 2wd

Postby Jasen » May 25th 2012, 8:17pm

That's kind of like Washington, after 1980 you can't put any more cylinders in it then was offered. I believe there are way's around it, bu I've never looked into it. One guy I knew had V8 s 10 all set up with quick release and every 2 years he would pop the I4 back in for emissions.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby tedanderson » May 26th 2012, 4:12am

you may have problems passing because you are putting a v8 into a v6 van
the computer is going to try to inspect it as a v6 van based off the VIN.

Usually the ECM is swapped when doing a V8 swap to minimize any problems or issues so when the port is accessed, it will read the VIN of the donor vehicle.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby Rune [OP] » May 26th 2012, 4:57am

I'm definitely interested about the heavier differential. Do you have any more info on that? Before I get too carried away and start switching things around and welding things together..

Yeah, Michigan has neither emissions inspection or vehicle inspections. If they had either, alot less cars would be on the road here.

Yeah I read about how easy it to swap in a v8 in 95 and early vans, but I got this van before I found this out, so I'm going to stick with my van.

So, other than parts, parts, parts, labor, and more parts, I guess I'm good.

Unless you count the parts.
Original Poster [OP]
Rune
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rune [OP] » June 12th 2012, 4:15pm

My idea for the van is to make it a land crusier type of car, like the cars and wagons or the 60s and 70s.

Anyone know of any junk yards in wayne county or oakland county in Michigan, in the Detroit area?
Original Poster [OP]
Rune
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » June 12th 2012, 4:19pm

Rune wrote:
My idea for the van is to make it a land crusier type of car, like the cars and wagons or the 60s and 70s.

Could you elaborate on what you're thinking about this "Land Cruiser" build? Do you mean cosmetic? Something else?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Rune [OP] » June 23rd 2012, 8:12pm

Something like a station wagon form the 60s or 70s. It'd be both cosmetic, with the exterior and interior, and mechanical. It'd have everything from a small block v8 with a stronger rear end and dual exhaust to a new paint job, a retro styled interior with a custom dashboard, to new carpeting, new guages, new upholstry, painted trim, and possibly a t-top inspired sunrooof. I'd also like to replace the front and rear bumbers with older metal or chrome ones. I get the feeling I'm going to be doing alot of making things work.

Right now I'm thinking about a was to design something to fit with the grille to give it a new look. My current grille is damaged from a collison with a wall.

Any ideas on this will be appreciated. The exterior color will be black cherry and the interior will be mostly black, if I can do it, and maybe a second tone as well.
Original Poster [OP]
Rune
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):