Kid Hauler and Camping/Multi-purpose van

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Kid Hauler and Camping/Multi-purpose van

Postby BBSig [OP] » October 2nd 2012, 4:35pm

So I went through a divorce and have 4 kids. Borrowed an Armada for a while to make it work but then came upon a 02 AWD Astro that just got painted for $3500. It needed a seat belt and was good to go for a few months. So far I have replaced the starter, heater control valve and now I am changing the head gaskets and all that goes with it. I was going to upgrade to the new spider but when I checked into it I found that my 02 already has the new style of spider! The bad news is that the "mechanic" that changed the radiator prior to the sale changed the coolant without flushing the dexcool so now I have the nasty gel in parts of my engine. This also explains why I had a bad head gasket and some of my coolant passages were clogged as well as a few leaky head bolts. I don't think there was any major damage but I did find some very small "cream cheese" deposits in the valve cover and on some of the head bolts. Draining the oil yielded no sludge coming out so I think I caught this in time for only superficial evidence.

I am going ahead a replacing the original water pump, spark plugs, wires and I believe the original cap and rotor. Yes, I believe all of this is original. I could not get the exhaust manifolds out or I would go ahead and paint them. No big loss. Below are the part numbers I am thinking of going with. I might change the plugs to NGK TR55GP. I was going to compare the two of them at the store. The NGK's are almost half price.

Spark Plugs AC Delco 41-993
Plug Wires MSD 5577
Oil Filter Wix 51036 lg/ 51040 sm
Fuel Filter Wix 33481
Distributor Cap Accel 120142
Rotor Accel 130141

I will be flushing the oil and the coolant a few times to get all the crap out of it.

My next step is to change the lubricants to the following next month. I am greasing everything with synthetic hi temp grease. Anything I am missing?

Automatic Trans Dexron III 5 qts
Rear Diff 75W-90 Synthetic 3.5 pts
Brake Fluid DOT-3
Power Steering GM Power Steering

I am not much on pictures as I don't like getting my phone greasy and I hate washing my hands all the time.

If someone can chime in as to why my #1 exhaust valve looks like it may be sticking open or if this is normal. Also, would there be a problem using the Oxalic acid to flush the engine after the change of gaskets or if that will be alright?
IMG_20121001_154754.jpg
#5 Cylinder
IMG_20121001_154805.jpg
#1 Cylinder
Barry

2002 Astro AWD
Original Poster [OP]
BBSig
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: BBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): BBSig
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Part-Time Camping Work Van "Conversion"
    by acetech09 » October 27th 2020, 8:26pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by Evespower View the latest post
    January 9th 2021, 9:54am
  • And so it begins, my van build
    by mglsite » October 17th 2020, 11:02pm in Projects/Builds
    3 Replies
    Last post by mglsite View the latest post
    October 18th 2020, 12:36am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 5:30pm

Re: Kid Hauler and Camping/Multi-purpose van

Postby chevymaher » October 2nd 2012, 6:36pm

Exhaust valve looks good. Nice tan grey color. It running right. If all of them look like that then your set. That engine running good.

I know you didn't just badmouth Dex-Fool. LOL. Just do a good job flushing it out so the passages are not blocked. So you dont have localized overheating.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Leeann_93 » October 3rd 2012, 12:01am

Go ahead and get the AC Delco 41-993. You won't regret it; they last forever and are really smooth. This is a job you don't want to do more than necessary.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby BBSig [OP] » October 3rd 2012, 3:22am

How many pictures are you seeing? I posted 2 for comparison.
Barry

2002 Astro AWD
Original Poster [OP]
BBSig
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: BBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full yearsBBSig has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Corsemoto » October 3rd 2012, 3:48am

Leeann_93 wrote:Go ahead and get the AC Delco 41-993. You won't regret it; they last forever and are really smooth. This is a job you don't want to do more than necessary.

I second the AC Delco 41-993 spark plugs, that's what I've stuck with - good life and no complaints. In the end not worth a couple bucks if you have to change them out again or sooner.

If you're doing fluids, front differential takes the same synthetic 75w90 (2.5 pints) and the transfer case for yours takes GM Auto-Trak II fluid (2 quarts) from dealer or possibly an AC Delco distributor.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Lumpy » October 3rd 2012, 8:53pm

BBSig wrote:
... I am going ahead a replacing the original water pump...

Consider doing the steering gear box while you're in there.

Whether you do or don't replace the gear box, replace the PS hoses and install a PS filter. It's cheap, small, just clamps inline on the low pressure hose, looks like a fuel filter.

And as long as you're in there, how 'bout replacing the vacuum hoses, PCV valve.

As you're flushing the coolant, add a little RTV around the pipes/hoses that go through the firewall to the interior heater box. Those OEM rubber gaskets get eaten up pretty well with all the heat and fumes in the engine compartment. Prolly examine and dab up the same seals on the rear heat, if you have such a device.

Clean the cup holders.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby BBSig [OP] » October 8th 2012, 7:25pm

I bought plugs, wires, cap and rotor today and hope to button it up tomorrow. I'll let you know how she runs.
Barry

2002 Astro AWD
Original Poster [OP]
BBSig
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby BBSig [OP] » October 22nd 2012, 5:10am

Why the steering gear box?

I did the vacuum hoses. Changed the oil pump since I couldn't turn it by hand. Now the engine is idling high and the check engine light is on. Taking it in the morning to get it read for codes.
Barry

2002 Astro AWD
Original Poster [OP]
BBSig
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

What harm can a little deer do?

Postby BBSig [OP] » January 11th 2013, 6:51am

2171 + 2172 = 2174

It looks like we both lost. The world is probably one less Astro. The adjuster told me today that we are already at the threshold and he still hasn't gotten the hood open. I could see the brake master cylinder was out of place by looking through the bend in the hood.

We had a gathering of 2 volunteer firefighters vehicles, 1 VFD ****, 2 sheriff's cars, 1 state troopers car and 2 wreckers all flashing lights! I told the wrecker dispatcher to send a flatbed tow truck and she must have forgot. The wrecker got there and I wouldn't let him hook up and when I told him why, he asked why I didn't tell the dispatcher that. LOL.

I'm not finding any good substitutes so I may have to find an SUV. Going to look in a few close by towns but not looking good.
Barry

2002 Astro AWD
Original Poster [OP]
BBSig
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby icebrrg3rd » January 11th 2013, 4:05pm

OUCH! That's not gonna buff out. Too bad about the van, hope you can find something to replace it. Did you keep the deer?

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Maxximum_44 » January 11th 2013, 4:15pm

Sorry for your loss, glad everyone's okay.
03 - Astro - AWD - 4.36L V6 - Original - Motor/Trans-New Exhaust-
Maxximum_44
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Maxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): Maxx
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby Big_kid » January 13th 2013, 3:47am

X2 what Max said above. Find a van that needs help, and use this one for parts?
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby chevymaher » January 13th 2013, 4:55am

Omg compared to my van that is just a flesh wound. It still got 8.5 lives left.

Kidding hope you get it sorted out.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby BBSig [OP] » January 14th 2013, 7:47am

Finding out today what the adjuster is saying it will cost. The other day he was guessing around $4400 without digging to find hidden damage in the engine. He says there is evidence of internal damage. Not sure what that means but I cannot find a reasonable Astro replacement anywhere around. Everybody is holding on to their good Astros. :cry:
Barry

2002 Astro AWD
Original Poster [OP]
BBSig
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)