Big Red, 1993 Bagged Astro

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Big Red, 1993 Bagged Astro

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 7th 2013, 10:50pm

As posted in my other thread, thanks again to astrosafari forum for making this purchase happen. Came home with onelowstro's van. I'll try and make this a short post, but I have always wanted a "older" Astro, I've owned a 2000 for about 6 years, and a 98 for 3 years. Pops had a 86 for 14 years! So I had him go down with my this Saturday to go check it out and bring her home. Ray is a great guy doing business with.

The only hitch I had on the ride home was ..... the lower ball joint castle nut stripped on the drivers front side as I was pulling into a Wawa. So the vans spindle came off the lower control arm and the wheel bent up into the wheel well. I found the nut a few feet back and it was completely stripped inside. So I was able to jack the van up, and put a new castle nut on, but only half way before it started spinning. With an hour and half highway driving left to get home I had to find the nearest shop. 3 hours later they had my fixed up (needed a new balljoint, cause the threads were stripped on that now). So with that happening it made it a 10 hour round trip. Anyway, Ray really stepped up and paid for the bill and more. I really appreciated that, and I really like the van. Could have been a lot worse, like happening while doing 75mph!

So with that said I will be going over everything and customizing it to my taste over the next few months. It's bagged, 2600 up front, 2700 on rear. Big notch, and tub. Just ordered a set of 18x8 ridler 695's for it, so I am putting the other 2 sets of wheels up for sale now. Going to install bench seats in the back instead of buckets. Need to install a hidden trailer hitch so I can tow my Mini's with this thing. Going to try and fit a double din head unit from my truck into the stock location. Anyway, this will be my build thread I suppose, great to be back in the saddle again!

1998 Astro, 1993 Astro, 1976 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1975 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: meetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Bagged

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 96 Astro in Seattle
    by rozmpatterson » October 26th 2020, 6:52pm in Projects/Builds
    3 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    October 31st 2020, 4:43pm
  • 2002 Astro AWD 4inch Lift Camper Conversion
    by Minist3r » November 28th 2020, 6:10pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by SportsBoy View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 4:08am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 23rd 2021, 12:06pm

Re: Big Red, 1993 Bagged Astro

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 8th 2013, 1:01am

Well made the first shopping spree. Ordered a smooth front bumper off a half ton that is made to fit the astro with a recessed center license plate. Ordered up a hidden hitch for the roll pan, 2000 dome light for the rear, 2000 astro lighted sunvisors, center dash/radio bezel so I can mock up the double din, trying to pick up the 2 bench seats. Anyway, here is a pic of the wheels that are on the way. I ended up going with 225/45/18's, so it will be slightly smaller than the 215/70/15's on there now.

Ridler 18x8 695's 0mm Offset

Billet Specialties 14" Steering wheel with polished smoothy chevy button and hub

Had to get the billet shifter and tilt of course too.

Here is the double din headunit I'll be pulling out of my truck, bluetooth is awesome!
Last edited by meetthespeakers on January 8th 2013, 5:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Astro, 1993 Astro, 1976 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1975 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Years of Membership: meetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » January 8th 2013, 4:22am

Cool! Congrats!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 8th 2013, 3:16pm

Alright, I am looking for a few factory pieces, does anyone know where you get the roll up window bottom seal and around the top seal, mine are shot. I think they call the bottom a window squeegee? Next I was looking for a new dash, or in really good shape, other than going to a junk yard I guess you can't order this? I saw a blue one on ebay for.... $499 ouch.

Anyway I will be curious how the hidden hitch for the roll pan works out, ordered it from airbagit, they are custom making it, and powder coated it for $15. The front bumper is going to be raw off a half ton, modified to fit an Astro, again should be interesting to see how that shakes out.
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 8th 2013, 5:59pm

Just did a quick rendering, so it kinda sucks, but you kinda get the idea.

Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 11th 2013, 5:07pm

So my rendering was not that off. Got the new wheels in last night, had to pop them on! They just barely fit on the front when airing out. May have to do a little rolling, anyway onto the pictures.

New Steering wheel.
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby ProStreet_LS1 » January 11th 2013, 5:15pm

Very cool
1985 Pro Street Chevy Astro: parted, scrapped & upgraded to
1998 Pro Street Chevy Astro: Tubbed w/ 33x22 rear tires, 350 hp aluminum LS1 V8
PRO STREET 4 LIFE, GEARHEAD 4 LIFE
ProStreet_LS1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS1 V8 Pro Street

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 14th 2013, 10:02pm

Woohoo, new seats are getting delivered tomorrow, should be here in the afternoon. 2004 Leather Astro seats and benches. The back bench I will have to chop and fabricate mounts to go over the notch. One of the unexpected pluses I found is the 2004 bench seat has the baby seat latches built in. Awesome...

Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby 356redux » January 20th 2013, 5:08am

Lookin good bro. You know I like the style of those wheels too. That's a nice score on the seats. Do you mind telling me how much and where you were able to score the whole set? And on a side note, what is going on in the background there? Mini motors don't mount that way! What you building back there? Funny I love mini's too. I guess we have similar tastes.
356redux
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: 356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years356redux has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: Lowered on 20s

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 21st 2013, 1:11pm

I bought the set of a member here. A little more than I wanted to spend, but they are hard to find, especially complete and in good shape. Used USHIP to get them from Georgia to MD. What's going on in the background is the 61 I am building. Spent all yesterday working on the Morris fabricating a new trans tunnel, recessed battery box, mounting Mini seats in it, scraping off all the old valve cover gaskets, and setting up the trunk for the air tank, compressor, fuse panel, etc.
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 21st 2013, 1:21pm

Okay, was another productive week on the Stro. Here are some pics:

Half ton bumper sectioned/narrowed to fit astro. Smoothed out and recessed plate holder.

Hidden hitch made up from airbagit, they powder coated it for an extra $15. They custom made it to fit behind the roll pan.

Installed, fit was perfect!

The 2 link with panhard bar.

Big C-Notch

This was when I was installing the hitch, and flip up license plate holder.

Then I moved onto to doing the leather seats. Here is the rear bench, I cut off the legs, welded some angle steel to it so I could mount the rear seat untop of the wheel tub.

Came out pretty freaking good!

Love the new seats in there!

Sittin pretty with the new cleaner rear end, centered flip up plate.

And I will end with the 2 family haulers...
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby icebrrg3rd » January 21st 2013, 9:13pm

Love those leather seats, very nice install. I'm also planning on a hidden hitch similat to that, except I will keep the rear bumper, pull it in a little, then run it thru that. Are there more pics of the 2-link set-up?

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 22nd 2013, 4:04pm

Sorry no additional pictures, may be able to snap some this weekend when I work on it some more. Anything in particular your looking for? Front hangers? Have my paint buddy stopping by on Friday to take a look at the body and see if I can get the bullet holes filled, paint the new custom front bumper, and just go everything in general. New shocks are coming in looks like Saturday, so maybe this weekend I will tackle fabricate the front shock mounts.
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby icebrrg3rd » January 22nd 2013, 4:21pm

No special pics required, was just curious on a 2-link, usually hear about 3 or 4 link, that's all. I'm probably sticking with old school leafs on mine anyways, altho after I swap my V-8 and everything works, I might lower it, not sure. Yours looks good, I like it.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 22nd 2013, 9:51pm

The ride quality alone is worth it, no longer feels like a "truck". Plus I like my cars low, really low, so this really was a good fit for me. It is a little bouncy in the front without having shocks, but hopefully that will be rectified soon. Bags are the RE-6 up front and RE-7 Slam bags.
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby vectrex11 » January 25th 2013, 4:04pm

That build is coming along nicely. I always liked the look of the older Astros with the phantom billet grille. I used to have a 1990 Astro and have always been unhappy that I traded it for a Blazer. Since then I have been on a quest to obtain a mild custom Astro like you have here. Its tough trying to find the older ones these days that haven't been beaten to death or hacked into some weird horrible excuse for a custom.

Current-
1986 Chevy Astro Vortech 350 V8 5-speed
1989 Chevy Astro 350 V8 RWD
2006 Dodge Magnum RT

Past-
2000 Chevy Astro AWD
1992 Chevy Astro RWD
1990 Chevy Astro RWD
1989 Chevy Astro RWD
1986 Chevy Astro RWD
vectrex11
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: vectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full yearsvectrex11 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): vectrex
Van Model Year: 1986
Extra Info: 1997 Vortech 350 RWD

Postby slammedgringo » January 30th 2013, 3:07am

Nice ride man! Happy you could fill the void. Is it notched? From the pictures I can't tell where the upper bag mounts are welded ? also what wheel and tire combo is that ?
slammedgringo
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: slammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 30th 2013, 4:01am

Frame has roughly a 6" notch, bridge across, full tub. Wheels are 18" ridler 695's, I been getting most of my wheels from JDWHEELS for the last few years, I just like the variety the offer, IE mainly 5 spoke wheels with dish. Tires are skinny 225/45/18.
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby slammedgringo » January 30th 2013, 4:18am

skinny? I'm on 20" 35's , we spoke over the phone about my van lol ... I would like to return it to a 18" though nice pick on wheels. How many valves do you have ? shocks in rear ? I like the idea of a 2 link retaining factory front perch but not bag over axle. I want to re-do with bag on bar
slammedgringo
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: slammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full yearsslammedgringo has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

Postby meetthespeakers [OP] » January 30th 2013, 2:14pm

As much as I like the look of 20's with some dish, I didn't want to run that low of a profile, not cruising to work 3 hours a day in. The van is just front back setup, it does have shocks on the rear. I will be adding the front shocks when it gets a little warmer and I can find the time. I just ordered all new shocks, belltech lowering shocks. And the front perch is not stock, looks kinda like stock. I just ordered a few days ago, and looks like they are getting delivered today some re-6's and re-8's for the rear. Maybe one day I will see if I can squeeze the 7's in the front. I really wanted to get the SS slam bags, but the reviews of bag failure turned me off. Yes I remember speaking with you, I take it you still have it? I was happy I could find one "locally", 2.5/3 hour drive.
Original Poster [OP]
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Next