And so it begins, my ‘93

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: And so it begins, my ‘93

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 29th 2015, 3:58am

I can't afford me! but thanks.
Honestly you wouldn't believe how little I make for a 35+ year carpenter. I'm working for less than I did in 2000 but I am working and have had work the past few years when a lot of guys didn't. The Moog is kinda what I figure I owe me, I've never had a hot rod, a true pleasure vehicle and this van is it. My bride allows me this, in return I keep myself in check and not go overboard when times are lean, work a little more when I can and continue to get the good stuff.
My shocks are the same as what I bought it with so I can't say for sure. I think they are KYB and are very stiff. I've looked for but never found a nameplate or sticker. A little too hard I think for the bad roads around here but I think the bigger rubber going on tomorrow will help. Not bad for handling or when I load up with people but for a comfy unloaded ride, not so much. I think the Goodrich radial TA that are on there now 245/60 don't have enough sidewall for a nice ride and cause a lot of the "hard" feeling. Stay tuned, I'll let you know.

My '97 has Rancho on the rear that were a warranty replacement but they stopped making the front 2WD so I was SOL. I used Monroe on the front and was / am not happy. The front was just way to soft and squishy. Leeann swears by the Monroe shocks but I took them off the '97 the day I got the warranty shocks back.
I'm still working on getting a handle on the handling of a light van, adding the V8 I thought would add weight but still nothing like what I'm used to. I put my '97 on the scales before material and it was 5,800 lb. That poor wench is overweight before I get in...

So, for shocks my thoughts are only good for what not to get but if you care to stick around I heard this story about a little blond and a few bears.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • And so it begins, my van build
    by mglsite » October 17th 2020, 11:02pm in Projects/Builds
    3 Replies
    Last post by mglsite View the latest post
    October 18th 2020, 12:36am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 8th 2021, 1:05pm

Postby sixsix » April 29th 2015, 4:01pm

WoodButcher wrote:I can't afford me! but thanks... ... stick around I heard this story about a little blond and a few bears.

Ha- funny !! On both.
Yeah, I'm just looking for what I can only call "OEM Ride Characteristics". Right now I have bargain truck shocks w/ less than 5000 miles on them and between them and the loose suspension ( read: OLD ), front and back - it's hard to figure where my "Cushy - yet firm" ride went. And it's noisy / rattlely ( not a REAL word, but works ) under there.

I'll start w/ shocks and toss cost and longevity out the window - just give me floating on a pocket of clean air....

Later,

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 30th 2015, 2:34am

Well, tires on, aligned and just what I was after.
I couldn't be happier.

Steering is tight and responsive and the bigger tire does seem to soften the road a bit. Right nor they are aired up to 44 I was told so I may let them down a bit after I stop back there Friday when they re-torque the lugs.

pics!

Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby chevymaher » April 30th 2015, 2:38am

You'r getting her really looking good. That is one sweet ride.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 30th 2015, 3:03am

Thanks CM, I've been playing with the clear coat on the roof to decide how I'm going to fix it. I can't afford paint but I think I may be able to do a fair fix myself.
Trans is the next money item but the clear I can afford easy and mostly it's just elbow grease. Maybe I'll watch some youtube and spray the whole thing myself but if I do that I need to gear up for a real project like the motor swap again. I won't be happy taping things off, I'll prime and block for no good reason,,,, you know how it goes.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby chevymaher » April 30th 2015, 4:24am

If your clear coat is lifting on the roof. And you intend to paint it in the future. Just scuff it a kitchen sponge the green rough side and get the loose off. They sell clearcoat in cans. Just put a very light coat on it. It will bring the color out in the light spot where it is gone. And slow down the lifting untill your ready to do something. Light is the key. Remember your sanding all this back off. Factory paint don't have to come off but anything you add does.
That will make a huge difference. It is a roof so if it just the right color it is practically fixed.
Go to U Tube and enter My Freind Pete, swrnc and this guy is a joker with a very dry hard core sense of humor. But his instructional bodywork and paint videos are top notch. He tells it like it is. Just watch those a while and you'll know what to do. And he is funny so it is educational and entertaining. He sets it up like little soap operas.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby The Drummer » April 30th 2015, 5:36am

Sharp van indeed monsieur butcher .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby DRZ » April 30th 2015, 5:50am

Agreed. How much wood would a wood butcher butcher if a wood butcher would butcher wood ?
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Postby AstroWill » April 30th 2015, 6:10am

A wood butcher would butcher as much wood as a wood butcher could if a wood butcher would butcher wood.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 30th 2015, 12:46pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
literally
LOL guys.

The tires got the look I was after, no major rub just at full lock in the front which I had with the 245's.
That link is a good one CM, my internal debate is how big to spray, whole van or just the bad? I will do the repair like you mentioned, plastic bondo knife and scotch pad Is what I did but I'm wondering if there is a clear I can use that will stay permanent. I have a couple guns and can shoot it myself but I'd need a clear I can "fix" or buff.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby chevymaher » April 30th 2015, 1:01pm

You got spray Guns. Well that is a horse of a different color. Use the Nason stuff I use. It will cover different types of paint with no issue. I put it on things all the time patching things. It is good looking and durable paint but still reasonable. Next step is that silly 500 dollar a gallon stuff.
You may fix issues for now but marks my words you already got the disease. Your going to paint it eventually. But fixing the bad for now is a good start.
Hardest thing is having a place to do it. And it is expensive.

This was about a grand of paint. But it was for the van and the chevelle. Get a door or something and just paint it a few times. Get your skills honed.
Smack a few good dents in it and fix them. Paint it. Do it again. That way you know what has to be done to do it right. And feel free to call I can help you alot with tips and tricks if you run into issues.
IMAG0813.jpg
IMAG0813.jpg (75.43 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby icebrrg3rd » April 30th 2015, 7:08pm

It's looking good WB. Kinda reminds me of mine, except I have custom van rear windows, barn doors, a big blue slider, and more clear-coat peeling than you.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » May 1st 2015, 2:39am

Thanks Andrew, You know I like those back windows and barn doors. I don't care for the hatch glass, I don't need it to see and it gives me a headache.
Yeah, I need to replace the hydraulics.

If I can I get those paints local I'll check them out Randy. We have three auto paint stores in town so the odds are good. I've got the place and the material cost is not that big a deal. It's just a lot of work to commit to, I think I could do the roof and hood in a weekend, I need to rehab the black around the windows and there are maybe 3 dings that need filler. A lot of work and downtime.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » July 6th 2015, 3:52am

Just a quickie update here, past couple weeks I put on mudflaps and fogs. Both autozone purchases but the fogs I swap the bulbs immediately, 100w for the 55w that comes in them.

I have some big upgrades coming soon... :shhh:
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby sixsix » July 6th 2015, 4:07am

Dang, WB - That Van looks Nice !!

Cool Lights - but... OEM style and location would have been nice while keeping your "lo prof" air dam.
Like you said - that Van is Show-Worthy. I would show it - definitely.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » July 6th 2015, 4:15am

I was thinking about cutting the air dam to install them in the stock location but couldn't bring myself to cut.
I may yet. Did you have a spare filler for your dash before you put in the travel compy?
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby sixsix » July 6th 2015, 4:23am

Yes, I had one open - it was on the rt. end

and...

Yes, I have one more left - It has all 4 "feet/tabs" on it.

Mike

sixsix

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » July 12th 2015, 1:38am

This week I ordered the rebuild parts for my trans. They should be here Tuesday so I figured it would be a good idea to get ready.
I got the donor trans out of mothballs and started cleaning.

On Leeann's recommendation I contacted Oregon Performance Transmissions with my wish list and questions.
Brian got back to me the next business day and we did this Q&A for a couple days before I ordered. Working with this trans is an unknown, I don't know anything about it other than it was behind my V8 when I bought it so I ordered every part that is likely to be a wear item, an upgrade or a possible failure including the internal electronics harness. I'll list the whole lot when they get here.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » July 12th 2015, 2:47am

Excellent!

And nice OCD job in the tranny, too :lol:
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » July 19th 2015, 3:09am

So OK,
Here was the order I got from Oregon Performance Transmission,

ORE-4L60B-10 Gm 4L60E 1993-1996 (Non-Pwm) Heavy Duty High Stall Torque Converter 2000-2400 282.60
ORE-4L60E-RB GM 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E Automatic Transmission Master Rebuild Kit Build Olds Pontiac Chevrolet 159.99
ORE-CV-Pin Corvette Servo Piston & Long Pin 700R4 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E 4L75E Automatic Transmission 42.50
NTP-51810B GM 700R4 Beast Sun Gear Shell 700-R4 4L60 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E Transmission 63.49
LBG-19001 Lubegard Kooler Flush Transmission Cooler Cleaner 12.27
ATSG-4L60E ATSG 4L60E Automatic Transmission Rebuild Manual 93-UP Service Overhaul 4L65E 4L70E 4L75E 23.99
SNX-77987-01K Sonnax GM 4L60E Transmission Pinless Forward Accumulator Piston 4L65E 4L70E 4L75E 14.42
TRG-46-PLT-94 Transgo GM 4L60E 1993-1994 Separator Plate 4L60-E Automatic Transmission 27.93
TRG-700PKH Transgo GM 700R4 Unbreakable Pump Ring Kit High Rev 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E 2004R Transmission 13.33
ORE-4L60E-EL 4L60E Transmission Electronics EPC Kit Solenoids Internal Wire Harness 4L65E 4L70E Lockup Solenoid 219.99
SNX-77998-03K Sonnax GM 700R4 Transmission Pinless 1-2 & 3-4 Accumulator Piston TH2004R 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E 16.26

Subtotal: 876.77
Shipping: Free Shipping (Usually 2-3 days. 2-5 on larger items): 0.00
Sales Tax: 0.00
Order Total: 876.77

I got started on the teardown today, set up my netbook and followed the vid from Hiram G.

I don't get it, 40 minute video and his is a bunch of parts on a bench.
I spent about 7 hours and I'm at 27:21 in this video and I have to make a press to remove the low / reverse piston. :shrug:

[youtube]BQgQIyIhI0o&[/youtube]

I spent time cleaning and checking things out on the way in, painted the pan, more than anything else trying to plant in my feeble mind just where these things go back. I still haven't figured the anti-clunk spring yet as it fell out all by its lonesome.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

PreviousNext