And so it begins, my ‘93

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: And so it begins, my ‘93

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » February 7th 2016, 6:55pm

Finally!
about time, eh?
I finished the rack and grabbed a few pics.

The #37 molding attached w/ riv-nuts on a 4" wide weather-strip cut to width, when I get to the interior the riv-nuts are getting replaced w/ nuts and bolts. They would hold fine but I couldn't stop them from spinning so I could not compress the rubber at all.

naked cross member

Primed, painted, ready for the body molding. carbon fiber yet! :lol: They were out of plain black.

an example of how a canopy can be attached,

farther back,

not to noticeable from the ground,

changed out my fogs for LED,

A better view, I also added a set of "driving" lights to the fogs but they also are too bright for oncoming traffic but on a dark road you can see into tomorrow...
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Fastro MK-II My 1992 383 build
    by Mr_Roboto » March 26th 2020, 2:26am in Projects/Builds
    54 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    June 28th 2020, 1:41am
  • My Mint 99 Safari Van AWD
    by Atomsvan » April 6th 2020, 10:37am in Projects/Builds
    29 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    May 17th 2020, 3:53am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 23rd 2020, 12:49pm

Postby sixsix » February 7th 2016, 7:40pm

Nice Lights, Woody. Your Van is now Officially "Light-Busy" in front.
Surprising what they can do for LED brightness these days.
If I remember right - you had the simple short spoiler, right?
No "Openings" for Fogs and slightly less in hgt.

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » February 7th 2016, 10:06pm

simple short spoiler, right?
No "Openings" for Fogs and slightly less in hgt.

Yep, that's it Mike.

Those fogs wouldn't fit if I did cut the spoiler and even turned the way they are and the fact they are "spot" rather than "flood" they are still way too bright. For that reason I'm thinking inside the grill mounted straight forward.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 14th 2016, 4:09am

Finally got the radiator squared away. Sorry, I'm a little light on the pics.

I put an inline filler in the upper hose because I mounted the rad on the stock mount location. It does not have the extended neck like the stock rad so is another 3" lower in comparison to the heater core.
bottom up
The radiator is 3" thick, the fans 2 3/4" and it just fit, no room for a shroud.

Part numbers from Jegs.-
555-52008 ALUM RADIATOR 28X19 GM
555-52100 ELEC FAN 10" REVERSIBLE
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Mr_Bowtie » April 14th 2016, 11:44am

That radiator and dual fan set up looks very sexy!
Heck I am still running my belt fan/stock rad.... :bow: :clap:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 14th 2016, 12:23pm

I had this,
and this,

Fleabay stuff. The rad leaked from day one but I wasn't sure at first. When I finally found it I had no recourse, I had a larger inlet welded on it so it could not be returned.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby sixsix » April 16th 2016, 12:53am

Nice work - "As Usual". And boy, that is close.
First time I have seen a Filler/Cap spliced into the Hose - makes sense since the alum. one is so low.
What's with the muffin fan - you working up a sweat out there?

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 16th 2016, 1:28am

Those fans were about the only fans of reasonable quality I could find that would fit. I've had her out for a few blasts and the temp gauge is right where it should be.

Next step, the teaser pics I put in the other thread...
I forever wanted to rework my "Y" pipe. She has true duals with a "X" pipe inside the muffler so the "Y" is really two pipes.

While they work I was never really thrilled with these, I knew I could do better.

I posted these pics in the other thread,

Version two.

I still have tweaking on the cutouts to make them work and seal properly, had I bench tested I would have known. I called the guy that makes them and the job is pretty simple. No paint, just clear to keep them as is.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby sixsix » April 16th 2016, 8:38pm

That is A LOT of pipes there.
Guess it is a Elec. or Air oper'd. solenoid Lift Valve?
Does that not open everything?
Do you "Feel" a diff. - peppyness ( is that a word? ) - besides the exhaust note concussion?
Not really concussion, but you know...
Back pressure , turbulence into the Valve area, blah, blah, ...

Just curious. Oh, and by the way - seems your "Version 2" photos are the same as the 1st two - just sayin'.
Now if you see a diff - OK then... :poke:
LOL

And , by the way, the rack and hardware looks real functional, yet simple w/ the clamps.

Mike

sixsix

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 17th 2016, 1:35am

There is a little difference but not so that is noticeable. They are an electric motor on a butterfly valve, still need more tweaking to close proper. I wanted to plumb the exhaust to the sides lie that as at some point in time side pipes are in my plan. Dunno, I'll get them working right and in another year change my mind. :shrug:

I've used the rack a few times already, brought home a sectional, half inside, half on top, picked up a room full of baby furniture for my younger son's new boy. A time or two I even had a ladder up there. I can't say that I'd ever use the canopy deal for camping but it is nice for day trips and barbeque.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Mr_Bowtie » April 19th 2016, 3:05am

I am liking those cutouts....nice touch.
Man your van is spotless underneath...very jealous!!! :rockon:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » April 19th 2016, 4:30am

Thanks, the pics look better than it really is.
It's been dirty from the minute I first made a test run. The rad leaked forever, (no more thank you!) lol, and I have an oil leak. (pan gasket or maybe dipstick tube)
I will admit to wiping her bottom side when I'm under there particularly if I'm rolling around on the sleeper.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » October 19th 2018, 12:17am

Testing,1.2.3....
Mike said this forum was missing, I found the thread in my profile list.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » March 9th 2019, 5:38pm

Well alright then.
I haven't updated this since spring of '16, time to get after it.
This spring I got hit. My van was parked in a clients drive when he backed out of the garage right into my drivers rear corner. Only the corner and lower hinge got hit but it caused a mess of issues not to mention the damage inside my head. I was really bummed, lost motivation for continuing, thanks to this forum again not only for being a key instrument for getting Phil fixed but keeping my interests and desire for my little hot rod alive.
I'm back at it now and have some updates but for now I'll post a few pics and some detail as to my ins / repair.

I took no after pics as there was no indication an accident ever occurred other than that area has the best paint on the van.

We had another member in a similar situation so I shared this with him via PM-
WoodButcher wrote:Cody,
damn dude!
Alright, I'm going through this w/ my '93 and Geico right now. My van was parked...
They are paying to fix my truck but I had to fight for it. I'm not ready to post about it publicly just yet but you need the info. At first they wanted to total it but I said that was unacceptable and then I went back to the other guy with the remaining bill after the max Geico would pay. He went back to the company and complained so they contacted me again. By this time I had two other estimates and I went through my build thread for a conservative estimate of $12k I had spent so far. My build thread has pictures and dates, better than receipts... I was ready for court but they are paying now.

Here is the email I sent to their adjuster.

Hi Liam,
I don't have receipts handy for all this but I'm sure I could locate the majority if needed. I documented my '93 Safari build as it happened on astrosafari.com where I have been a member since 2010. I went through the thread and picked out parts and costs to come up with a conservative estimate for parts of $12,235 all in. I'm certain to have missed some and that does not reflect the hundreds of hours I've spent working on it.
Please call and keep me updated, I need to get this truck fixed.
thank you.
Bruce

I've linked each post that mentions that cost.

When I bought the van in Lancaster PA. $2500 cash, cost me $500 more to flatbed it home- 2/23/2013
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=17719

The beginning of my build thread- 03/09/2013
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=17922

The first post mentions the truck fee,

Steering wheel- $100
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p196825

A/V The system was a gift.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p303993

$160 in paint products, this is not all the stuff I've used underneath. Just what I started with.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p304770

Front buckets, $180 craigslist find,
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p316417

I bought a full size van for the engine, transmission and computer, $1,150 total cost.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p345809

The donor motor needed a new intake manifold as I found a crack upon dissasemby. Bought from ebay for $140
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p386337

My brother in law's shop, We made a deal for him to rebuild the engine, he would do the job for $3,000 parts included. As it turned out the heads were bad on m engine so the replacement heads were another $500. $3,500 total
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p434722

Shortened bumper, modified the trailer hitch to be hidden. $20 in steel, welding supplies and paint.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p478457

New radiator and headers,$300
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p487137

Headers needed SS welding at Barzetti's welding$100
the new fans for the radiator. $130
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p515497

Borla muffler $130
2 Flowmaster Cat converters. $80
Walker tailpipe $40
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p520113

Ignition set, plug wires, $150
Prothane body mounts,engine mounts, Trans mounts, $150
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p523489

I did unibody repair, the only structural rust on this van.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p540777

couple underbody pictures and old motor removal
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p550641

Sub-frame off.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p557393

Upper control arms w/ bushings and ball joints, tie rod ends inner and outer, 2 idler arms, drag link, swaybar busking kit $250
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p558881

Brakelines $150
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p577578

rear sway bar $180
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p585450

Phantom Grille, $100
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p596690

B&M ratchet shifter, $350
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p640449

4 Tires, 2 wheels, alignment /caster camber $900.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p707913

Transmission rebuild, $875
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p766513

Roof rack, $100
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p910386
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Previous