2000 Cargo Van interior

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 2000 Cargo Van interior

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » September 18th 2015, 9:54pm

So you're thinking, 'what about the other poles ?'
Made this out of the left over drain tube. Glued on the carpet, capped one end and hung it under the shelf
with a couple made in USA Gear Ties ( reusable rubber twist ties )
https://www.niteize.com/collection/Gear-Tie.asp

DSC07920.jpg

DSC07921.jpg

DSC07923.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Harleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rorge Astro 2000 cargo build
    by rorgeastro » December 2nd 2020, 7:36am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by rorgeastro View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 11:10pm
  • 2004 Cargo WIP
    by backinabox » September 11th 2020, 2:23am in Projects/Builds
    36 Replies
    Last post by backinabox View the latest post
    December 30th 2020, 3:35am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 3rd 2021, 9:22pm

Postby Leeann_93 » September 18th 2015, 10:45pm

Those look great.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Lumpy » September 19th 2015, 12:54am

They do look great.

What kind of jig and saw did you use to rip the pipe and keep the cut straight?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » September 19th 2015, 12:59am

Just a 10" portable table saw. It's in one of the pics on the last post of page 5.
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Years of Membership: Harleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » September 26th 2015, 9:44pm

One of the last bare spots in my Astro got my attention this week. When I bought it it was a bare bones cargo van with the steel partition between the cab & the back. Apparently when they sell 'em like that they delete the plastic moldings on the door posts. I pulled the passenger side trim at the pick & pull but could not find the drivers side cargo trim. So I made my own.
I used a section of the plastic pipe I had left over and with the heat gun and some creative clamping I fashioned it into a usable piece that I then covered with the gray carpet. I'm pleased with the results. It wasn't a quick job but time well spent in my mind.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » September 26th 2015, 9:55pm

B pillar cover fab up... :clap: :clap: :clap: Just genius!

Have you had a lot of experience with whatver kind of contact cement or glue you're using for the carpet to plastic stuff? Does it come loose over time/heat etc? I seem to have horrible luck with any kind of adhesive in a vehicle unless it's horizontal on the floor. Everything vertical or overhead fails within a year or two.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » September 26th 2015, 11:23pm

Lumpy, I don't have a lot of experience with the glue. On this one I used contact cement. You brush it on both surfaces and wait for it to dry. You need to be pretty accurate putting them together. No chance to adjust. As for how long it will last I have no idea. :shrug: I don't live in the desert so excessive heat is not a problem. I'll do a running scientific experiment and get back to you. :)
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

Postby redrodbadz » October 8th 2015, 9:51pm

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I love the versatility and use of available space! I'm getting some great ideas from your build that I may apply to my passenger camper build! :ty:
redrodbadz
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: redrodbadz has been a member for 5 full yearsredrodbadz has been a member for 5 full yearsredrodbadz has been a member for 5 full yearsredrodbadz has been a member for 5 full yearsredrodbadz has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD Camper

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » February 23rd 2016, 2:12pm

Here's an update. After three years of evolution this is the current configuration.
DSCN8438.jpg

DSCN8439.jpg

DSCN8440.jpg

DSCN8441.jpg

DSCN8442.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » February 23rd 2016, 2:48pm

Details, please...on how you've enclosed the ends of those hanging wire racks with carpet. Last we saw it was bungee cords. Did you add wood triangles or ???

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » February 23rd 2016, 4:38pm

Lumpy wrote:Details, please...on how you've enclosed the ends of those hanging wire racks with carpet. Last we saw it was bungee cords. Did you add wood triangles or ???

Lump

Hi Lumpy, yeah, I added masonite triangles on the ends and put a bottom of that shelf then covered it with the carpeting. Adds a little rigidity without
adding a lot of weight. Notice in the upper corner it uses the rack end . Velcro sticks to the carpet very nicely for putting battery operated led lights wherever
needed . I also finally got around to getting a second deep cycle AGM for my battery bank.
DSC08074.jpg

DSC08076.jpg

DSC08077.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » February 23rd 2016, 7:27pm

Van-Ize... :rockon:

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby imtb » February 23rd 2016, 10:33pm

Pretty impressive build. Add some solar and you can go off grid!
imtb
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: imtb has been a member for 5 full yearsimtb has been a member for 5 full yearsimtb has been a member for 5 full yearsimtb has been a member for 5 full yearsimtb has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): mike

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » February 24th 2016, 1:44am

Solar is on the "to do" list along with a Fan tastic fan roof vent.
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » June 26th 2016, 12:08am

I'm upgrading my van roof vent to a FanTastic Fan. Three speeds, thermostatically controlled , with reverse. That's right, it sucks and blows. It comes in white plastic and I just couldn't live with that. The hatch is tinted blue and the van is blue so I went to NAPA and had them whip me up a spray can of Cadet Blue. I must say it's a real close match. It'll sort of 'hide' the vent for stealth camping. Install went well, need to finish off the interior trim.
DSCN8732.jpg

DSCN8733.jpg

DSCN8734.jpg

DSCN8735.jpg

DSCN8736.jpg

DSC08207.jpg

DSC08209.jpg

DSC08210.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » June 26th 2016, 5:19am

As usual, nice work.
Now you need a rack to hide the vent,,,

Just a thought, maybe incorporate solar panels into the rack with a small airspace between the roof and panels for insulation against direct sun on the roof?
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » June 26th 2016, 7:19pm

Thanks WB. I have a different idea for the solar set up. Today I finished off the inside trim and painted the white goop.
Don't know if it'll last but like how it turned out. Notice I was able to keep the factory roof light, only had to trim it a bit.
DSC08213.jpg

DSC08214.jpg

DSC08216.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » August 14th 2016, 2:05am

I finally got around to addressing the rear door not having an inside latch or lock. After studying the linkage I came up with a simple solution. Picked up some 10-24 threaded rod , assorted nuts & clamps, a couple rubber grommets and a couple black lock 'buttons'. Drilled a couple holes, cut & bent the threaded rod , and presto,
a stealth escape hatch. ( EDIT: presto = all day) LOL.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Now I can exit & enter through the back door while camping. The side door can be a bit noisy as you guys & gals know.
http://s285.photobucket.com/user/PanCla ... ear%20Door
Last edited by Harleybowtie on August 15th 2016, 1:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astrofarian » August 14th 2016, 6:35am

A great mod that "should" have been part of GM's plan all along. Now you can sneak out for a morning wizz without waking anyone up beside you, right? LoL

Great mod and you'll never have to worry about the dreaded busted outside handle dance again!

-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Harleybowtie [OP] » August 14th 2016, 5:52pm

Exactly Mike. It'll go great with my next addition.
Original Poster [OP]
Harleybowtie
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext