Mike's 1992 Astro Resurrection / Bucket List

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Mike's 1992 Astro Resurrection / Bucket List

Postby sixsix [OP] » June 22nd 2018, 12:36am

Welcome back

The earlier post showing the electronic resistor (?) Motor end cap came from:
This Original Post via Raleigh - https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1069722

Now on to clean up and find a way around the "circuit breaker points" thingie.

1374 Drvr Dr Motor-Cover mine cleaned

The yellow arrow points to a hole I thought and mentioned was solid.
No problem, it is under that "Black Cover" seen earlier - maybe a breather - tho the thing is not airtight.

1375 Drvr Dr Motor-Cover cleaned-thermo CB

Again, more yellow arrows - here they point out the delrin isolation washers to separate the 2 sides.
This is a Sylvania "bi-metal thermostat".
No luck finding it online, but did find plenty of generic ones w/ "bi-metal thermostat" searched.

"Sylvania" is lightly stamped between the 2 holes.
P20 or 20P is printed on the curved contact piece & "312" is stamped on the underside.

Holding down on the brass base plate, I just needle nosed the OEM strip out.
I'll reuse the two semi-circle "post stays" with a replacement strip of brass.

1377 Drvr Dr Motor-Cover parts layout

All the brass and copper plate, etc is .025" / 22 ga.
I used some brass shim stock - .313" x 1.250" lg.

Pinched the rounds in a bit, sanded / freshened all the surfaces.
Took quite the effort to push the strip into the rounds/against the contact tabs.
Very solid / soldering is not needed.

1378 Drvr Dr Motor-Cover brush tie wrap

This tie wrap idea, like the other 5 methods I tried, are not going to work.
I tried some paper clip things, pull out crap, shims, coming in from the back, etc, etc.
No luck.

1380 Drvr Dr Motor-Cover body & Comm clean

So I held this w/ the opening down as I wiped and scraped the old junk out.
Did a mess of wiping, then a light roughing/brightening of the comm.

The Motor shaft turns very freely in the CW dir, engaging the 2 gear set & the output gear turns.
But, on the other hand, turning it CCW, without the Cover attached, moved the shaft / worm out of engagement by 1/4" to 3/8".

This problem(?) may ultimately lead to a new Motor. If so , both Motors will be replaced.

1381 Motor Cover Big_kid Brush keeper holes
This was the Best Idea I saw for keeping the Brushes back.
Thanks to Big_kid - here was his Original Post:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1468545

The holes should not interfere w/ anything if done right - seems someone figured it out.
They can easily be plugged.

Not a whole lot of progress - but I'm in no hurry - life goes on...

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1989- RS to 4x4 swap list
    by markmitch » September 12th 2020, 4:27pm in Projects/Builds
    27 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 8th 2020, 4:48pm
  • 2003 AWD Astro - Elderforest
    by elderforest » August 29th 2020, 6:30pm in Projects/Builds
    9 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 2:07am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 27th 2021, 2:04pm

Postby sixsix [OP] » June 25th 2018, 7:31pm

The other day, I showed how Big_kid held the comm. brushes back on his Window Motor End Cap.

Here's how I did "Big's The Pin Hold Back".
Not to be confused with Randy's "Carbonite Maneuver".

1383 Motor Cover Brush drill locs
I point to small grooves in the delrin that are right below the brush.
A drilled hole here will not interfere w/ the brushes.
Straight in ( or down ) and it won't interfere w/anything.

1383.1 Drill & paper clip wire sizes
The little 3/64" ( 1.2mm ) drill on the gauge block drilled a nice hole, but the paper clip wire was just too tight.
Seemed to want to break just Looking at it sternly - looked even smaller as I used it.
I ended up going with a 1/16" ( .0625" / 1.6mm ) drill and it woked perfect w/ the bent clip.

By the way - this lg. paper clip wire is .040" to .045" in diam.

1384 Motor Cover Brush paper clip wire
Holes drilled - here you see the wires holding the Brushes back.

1386 Motor Cover Brush wire 2
Another angle... If ya' squint , you can see the hole at the bottom of the wire.

1387 Motor Cover Brush wire 3
geez... yet another view

1389 Motor Cover sealed
Closed up the 2 small holes - left the "breather" hole open.
Applied some good sealer/adhesive in the areas "open" around the Motor Cover / Gearbox case.

But before I did that - cleaned & blew out the Motor Cover, sealed & pressed it into the Case.
Lightly bent the tabs back. Tested the Motor in both dirs. w/o any problems.

Clean, tidy and neat it sounded. Yeah, under no stress whatsoever.

Allowed it all to set up , freshened the contacts and while I was thinking of it - did ALL the contacts on EVERY connector and harness brass, etc, etc. I messed with.
So important, but I usually forget a few... Not this time.

1390 Regulator Gear - Frame align mks
Something I forgot to show earlier - The alignment marks - on both sides - before I removed the Plate.
The Third Bottom or Root is aligned with the hole center.

The farther off you are at this point - the harder it is to get the Rollers into the track and get bolts, screws or rivets started in the four holes.

When I test fit the regulator, messing around, trying different bolts, methods, ways to hurt my hands...
I found with 1 or 2 rollers in and maybe a bolt in, whatever - I could use a flat screwdriver to move a tooth one way or another if you are "close, but no cigar".
Even with the immobilizer plate/bolt/washer mounted. Easy to get all the things, stars, etc in alignment.

Holes for mounting the Motor are .170" - I used black oxide 8-32 x .5 button hd. screws and matching red locknuts.
By the way, the screws measure .15625"

1392 Regulator & Motor-8-32 & locknuts-Plate
With a little room to wiggle - you can pre-load the Motor into the gear teeth kinda' hard or back off a little just before you tighten. I was able to eliminate or induce a tad of slop this way.

One disadvantage to using these button hds - is the 3/32 inch allen wrench , which are traditionally the first in your set to fail and to round off all the screws in your vicinity.

Black Cap and the sound deadener glued back on.
Rollers brake cleaned, blown out and new white lithium applied.
Greased the teeth of the Reg. and the Roller's Pivot point also.

If there is anything else I think of, I will follow up later - consider it posted. Keeping notes this time - LOL
Anything to add...? Don't be bashful.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby sixsix [OP] » June 28th 2018, 6:56pm

Got these " "old" style window motors " photos from 90safari.
He did not want to clutter up my build, but I thought they might be cool to check out.
Thanks for the pics...

***Removed Dead Picture***
1st photo - I see bolts, but I can't see where the Motor bolts to the door sheet metal - gotta' door pic?

2nd - Wish I could read that writing - I turned it upside down, held my tongue right n' everything...

3rd - Looks like the end to take off - funny how GM saves money - "3 screws is all they need"...
Seen it so many times , while they waste $2.00 on something else - BIG LOL !!!
What's wrong with the Motor(s)? No drawings, help online?

Maybe he can help us out w/ some explanations about them.
We ( ok... I do ) keep hearing about a " TA ", while wondering if it's a jazzed up Firebird...
- or something entirely different.

Mike again - LOL - but those Motor assys. look tough, don't they?

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » June 30th 2018, 3:01am

Tape off and some etching primer - OEM paint later with other touchups.
It will have the appropriate caplug like the other one.

I have no time for rust - lol

Mike

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » June 30th 2018, 10:11pm

Those Photos I put up there look OK to you?
If so - we have even Bigger probs. w/ the AS Site.

90safari wrote:Worse comes to worse, I'll just replace it if I can't get it going again.
With what?
Still NOS or upgraded new tech?

90safari wrote:I don't know, maybe I'm just not smart enough,
?
Some here may fall for that...

Now, to finish up this portion of the Latch / Handle removal.
Before I cry UNCLE anyway.

1412 Drvr Dr Key Lock - ROD Retnr removal 2
Hard to tell - Can't get to this Door Handle Rod Ret'nr. - still back inside the door.
Maybe w/ 2 rods off, I can move the Latch around enough to ... maybe get the 2 nuts from in side?
Or maybe help pull the Latch out.

1413 Drvr Dr Hndl immobilize open
My oldest S-K screwdriver gets "stick open" duty.

1415 Door Latch Hndl Retnr push off
Maybe I was just lucky, but sticking a small punch in the hole not only released the ******* retainer, but actually helped push it off the Latch Handle Lever.

And it is also past the Groove on the Rod. Just push the Rod out and you are down to JUST 2 MORE Lever / Pivot / Rod Assys. The Inside Locking Lever & the lever connecting the Outside Handle to the Latch are still attached.

So, while it is easier to achieve a few other tasks with the Latch is loosened up - it will only give more room for the Upper Nut Access Hole drilling.

1416 Door Latch Hndl screws Retnrs Key pts
After all that - these are the only parts to come out - besides the Lock & Window Assys., for the most part.

The arrow points to the Square-Ended" retainer that came off Key Lock Lever. Yeah - it's different.
You might recognize the "Damned Key Lock Retainer" ( it's Technical Term ) just over to the right.

1418 Door Latch-UNCLE-access to Ext Hndl Nuts
Time to drill rivets - starting w/ the armrest / door pull sheet metal seen here above the light.

That should free up pulling the Latch out.
We'll see.

Mike

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » July 3rd 2018, 2:55am

Looking at the Armrest support for drilling, I noticed I had neglected to pull the Locking Rod out of the Lock Actuator rt. angle Pivot arm. The other end is already loose.
Also, if I release the ret'nr on the Interior Handle Rod - they will allow the Latch and 2 Rods to move more.

1419 Drvr Dr - Int Handle Rod Released
Same story as before w/ the ret'nr. - pin or punch stick and it popped right off.
Pushed the Rod out of the Handle Lever, then pulled both Rods to where you see them.

1421 Drvr Dr - Handle and Lock Rods
This is how things looked back in the day - Locking Rod is sorta' "Held Captive" with a bend and a Spring loaded Pivot Lever.

1422 Drvr Dr - Handle Lock Rod released
Rods pulled as far to the right, while twisting the Latch dn. - this allows access to the top Nut holding the Exterior Handle to the Door.

The Pivot Lever shown is spring loaded in Both dirs.
The Armrest Support is "Tabbed" into the Sheet metal at the top.

1424 Drvr Dr - Ext Hndl Top Nut visible
Looks like it's going to be real easy to get at it from here.
6" lg. 1/4" extension, wobbler or universal - some tape to keep it from falling.

1425 Drvr Dr - Ext Hndl Nuts visible-3.375 Pitch
New Batt. in my Calipers helped here.
- 3 3/8" ( 85.73mm ) pitch for those planning to Drill a hole for Top Nut access.

Next - drill out some rivets ( seems I keep saying that... ).
Pull the Handle, ret'nr., Rods, Latch, etc. out.

Mike

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby 90safari » July 3rd 2018, 6:22am

OK, I know you're pulling the latch out to clean and lube it. But, if you were just trying to access the upper exterior handle nut, how would you move the latch out of the way with all of those rods still attached without removing the interior door panel? I know it's kind of a dumb question, but since you still have to get the rod clip off the handle, and install it on the new one I really don't see drilling a hole as a "time saver". And if you have the inner door panel off, you can access the exterior door handle nuts with a 10 mm open end wrench, and use a cotter pin extraction tool (looks like a bent awl) for the clip.
Maybe I'm just over thinking it (like I said I'm not too smart).
I do love seeing the pics of the door coming apart though. Just 1 more rivet, and you should have it apart. ;)
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby sixsix [OP] » July 5th 2018, 3:25am

90safari wrote:OK, I know you're pulling the latch out to clean and lube it. But, if you were just trying to access the upper exterior handle nut, how would you move the latch out of the way with all of those rods still attached without removing the interior door panel? I know it's kind of a dumb question, but since you still have to get the rod clip off the handle, and install it on the new one I really don't see drilling a hole as a "time saver". And if you have the inner door panel off, you can access the exterior door handle nuts with a 10 mm open end wrench, and use a cotter pin extraction tool (looks like a bent awl) for the clip.
Maybe I'm just over thinking it (like I said I'm not too smart).
I do love seeing the pics of the door coming apart though. Just 1 more rivet, and you should have it apart. ;)

Right - but I will be damned if I'm gonna go over all that again.

Well, I got the Nuts off the Handle inside ( 10mm socket and extension as mentioned before ) and most of the rods completely disconnected from the Latch Assy., the Latch itself is loose from the sheetmetal.

The Latch is hanging from the lever ( I guess ) attached to the inside of the door.
I can pry part of the Handle partway out at the bottom. But is stuck in there pretty hard. The connector rod and Latch are loose, but the Handle is not budging.

OK - put the Latch and all back together, made sure all working OK. Handle works , no prob.
Even with the nuts removed - Handle will not come out of the damn door.

Taped up the out side paint with gorilla crap/tape - trying to pop the Handle out, with some gentle prying. Tried 'popping' them from the inside. Think I'll just lube the latch and handle - put the nuts back on - call it a day. move on.

No luck at all.

Any IDEAS ??

Mike - Anybody ?
Last edited by sixsix on July 5th 2018, 8:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby 90safari » July 5th 2018, 5:34am

If I remember right, there's a clip similar to the ones used for the rods (has the hole/tab deal) that releases a rod attached to the latch itself. What you might also be finding, is that the rubber pad (on the handle itself between the 2 screws) is stuck to the door. I've run across that before, especially on vans that have been in hot weather (like Texas). Just a thought.
90safari
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby MI_Ghost » July 6th 2018, 3:58am

sixsix wrote:Image
2nd - Wish I could read that writing - I turned it upside down, held my tongue right n' everything...

Mike again - LOL - but those Motor assys. look tough, don't they - are they heavy duty?

The cast lettering reads
Delco Products
Rochester NY USA

The Stamped numbers
311-70
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby sixsix [OP] » July 6th 2018, 4:18am

Thank You

Mike

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » July 8th 2018, 7:12pm

OK then, a break from "The Door" was nice- cruised the Forum for a few days.
With the exception of chat - strangely quiet. Not good for an owner , I would imagine.
No traffic, no views ( sorta' ), no turns, returns, no pass-thrus.

So I indulged myself with more Handle Saga...

1427 Drvr Dr - Edge Protection-debris catcher
A few things here: I used a felt pad or towel to catch the rivet junk and slipped a lgth. of ext. cord into the slot on top of the reinforcement bar - keep rattly stuff out.

I used the Blade Protector off a Doall saw blade ( knew I kept it years ago for a reason ) - one of the 12 or 15 footers - to cover that damn punched sheet metal razor wire profile left from Alcatraz' constr.
It was getting me with gloves and gauntlets on, no less.

If I have to get in one of the other sheet metal windows, I have plenty of material left.
Will probably leave it on when I button it up.
I still have lots of work to do.
The other day I was ready to pack it in and call it a "Van Career Ender".

"Gotta' Van to burn for BV III ?? , I've got one here , come n' get it"... I yelled at the top of my lungs.
And I'm just working on the Handle. geez, so anyway.

It's great, now I can work in there all willy-nilly, w/o regard for my arms & hands. I had to quit working on it a few weeks ago, I looked like a failed cancer patient or a fentanyl addict. They're dime/dozen out here.

1428 Drvr Dr - Arm Rest Rivets-Rod Tracks
Did not realize there were 2 Rod Guides hidden under the Armrest Support
Glued/epoxied on delrin splashed with ample lithium grease - they don't move that much anyway, but they do not rattle.

1430 Drvr Dr - Rod Tracks-close up
Here's a better? look, closer, showing the sort of angle they run.

1431 Drvr Dr - Ext Hndl Nuts Loose-Taped off
The bottom screw is pulled out a little - If I pop the top screw out, the bottom goes flush.
Seems there is a third something in there holding it in and it is not rubber.

I still have to disc. the rod that connects the Handle to the Latch. I guess that is done when the Handle is hanging there, out of the screwholes.

Any ideas again would be appreciated.

:ty:

Mike

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby 90safari » July 8th 2018, 10:07pm

To be honest Mike, I'd have to take 1 out again to remember how it comes apart. I'm wondering if you having the latch disconnected from the door is causing a bind somewhere, and keeping the handle locked to the door like it is. Normally you pull the inner door panel, remove the paper sheeting, and put your wrench on the handle nuts and take them off. Then release the rod clip, and out comes the handle (sometimes falling into the pile of indiscriminate stuff laying on the floor only to get kicked into another pile of stuff while you were bending down to pick it up).
90safari
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix [OP] » July 9th 2018, 2:54am

Might be one of those oddball things that fell into the "Very Strange Stuff" dustbin.
There have been other unexplainable weird things uncovered when I gutted the interior a couple years back.

Thought maybe someone might know of a diff. ver. , etc, etc.
It will come loose and give me the chance to pull the ret'nr - from in or outside. No biggee.

90safari wrote:To be honest Mike, I'd have to take 1 out again to remember how it comes apart. I'm wondering if you having the latch disconnected from the door is causing a bind somewhere, and keeping the handle locked to the door like it is. Normally you pull the inner door panel, remove the paper sheeting, and put your wrench on the handle nuts and take them off. Then release the rod clip, and out comes the handle (sometimes falling into the pile of indiscriminate stuff laying on the floor only to get kicked into another pile of stuff while you were bending down to pick it up).

Just to be sure, I put all the screws and nuts back on - pretty easy now.
Made sure the Handle still opens the Latch. No problems.

I feel sure it's 'slightly bent Handle Threads' hanging up on the sheet metal. I'll just reach in , bend one or more a tad, it'll fall out. I'm anxious to see how easy ( or not ) the ret'nr. clip, is to release at that point.

The other thing I am Really wondering about is... what are the quality differences in the various cheap and expensive Door Handles made by the 3 most common vendors? $5.00 to $80 is quite the spread - geeez.

I have some pics and quite a bit of anecdotal info posted by various members here and everywhere else...
Maybe I'll order all 3 and check it out.
Just thinking out loud, isn't the back Door Handle the same as the Passenger? I'll cross-ref later.

Mike

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » July 10th 2018, 8:13pm

Got the Handle, Latch and the rest of the Rods out.
Boy, the Retainer that's needed to release the Handle is a tough one. I can not imagine doing this Handle changeout w/o drilling the hole.

Or... the inner door panel is taken off and access to the stuff from inside the door ( which has to be easier ).
We'll never know from this thread, as I am not drilling the access holes.
There have been enough that did - no sense rehashing old boring junk. ;) ;)

1437 Drvr Dr - Latch & Rods pre remove
Once I go the retainer off the Handle connecting the Latch, it came out easy if I tilted it sorta'.
The Latch here - I took a pic to remember a few things.

1439 Drvr Dr - Latch & Rods & Handle
Anyone have ANY idea why it would not come out of the door

Here's the 2 mechanisms - they are more involved and complicated than I gave GM credit for. I am generally proven wrong when I 2nd-guess them.
A friend of mine called them "Generous Motors" all the time , as a rule , every day... all he drove & worked on...
We drove VWs and MGB n' Cs and had a couple HOT Z28s-mid 80s. I wondered... he told me... "you'll find out, one of these days".

The Latch has been Flawless ( 26 years now ) and the Handle - even as broken as it was , took no effort and still opened the door no biggee till the other day when I started this. I cannot vouch for the Handle longevity, but we have owned it 24 years and we did not do a swap.

1440 Drvr Dr - Handle Ret'nr close up
Right below center here is the RET'nr. that needs released to remove the Handle.

1442 Drvr Dr - Latch Ret'nr & mech close up
Another closeup - Before and After shots are fun - I look forward to this one - some of these shots are taken just for reassembly, but thought they might be fun to look at... some of the "weird bones" of The Van.
Stuff we don't see here much.

1443 Drvr Dr - Handle break & mech close up
Another showing the Break in the casting - seems like a high quality pot metal. Sure deserves some more research.
Interesting methodology and application of the rt. angle actuator - cool to me.

Got some cleaning to do.
Some rivets to replace in one and a check of the Window Tracks.
Sound deadening, etc, etc
Ever wonder what that Window Weighs ?? Nooooo ? You'll find out anyway.
Recheck my original list - I'm just a senior moment away from forgetting about... is the window taped well enuff?

Mike

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby 90safari » July 11th 2018, 3:41am

Congrats on getting the handle out/off. 8-) That clip for the rod must have been holding everything in place keeping it all together.
As for who makes the best door handle, I really don't know. I've replaced a broken OE handle with a genuine GM one from the dealer. I've replaced a used OE handle with a genuine GM dealer part, and I've replaced a broken OE handle with a "Help" handle. ALL 3 of them were left front door handles. It really depends on how it's used/abused, and whether or not you're trying to get a "lifetime" out of it. If you are, you might want to get a new GM handle. If you're looking at getting 10 to 15 years, then a "help" handle will work just fine. So far, my 88 is still using it's OE handle, but I can feel so extra "slop" that shouldn't be there. But then after 30 years, I'd expect some wear. It'll probably get either a new "Help" handle or a used GM handle (depending on how worn it is).
90safari
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix [OP] » July 11th 2018, 4:03am

Couple things,

You talk of getting a used handle somewhere... HUH?? , you going to come over and take it out or do have a handle ( pun intent indeed ) on used ones under the counter?

And about that hang up getting the Handle out of the door. Well, let me say this - it was NOT the clip and lever hanging it up. While I agree, it fell out when I popped the clip & moved it from the inside.

But I had to get the clip off going thru the damn Latch hole and using the inside access. A real *****. And if I didn't angle and move the Handle around, it was still "Hung Up". Not until I got it out did find what broken parts worked against me.

Mike

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby 90safari » July 11th 2018, 4:44am

I've got an 86 Astro sitting in my backyard with a new, now "used' left door handle in it. The van is getting parted (slowly), as there are some parts I want off it, before it goes to scrap. It's rusting in pieces, and will have to go on a trailer to get it out of the yard (brakes are rusted in place, and left upper control arm or the mounts for it are rusted out. The sub frame is toast, and the body shell is very rusty (deep into the doors rusty). I mainly kept it for the glass, as it's a shorty.
90safari
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix [OP] » July 11th 2018, 10:29am

Now, let me get this straight - you have another Astro just sitting out back?
Must be nice to have a parts car. And don't forget: take care of that glass.
Any non rusty sheet metal panels avail? Plastic bits here and there?

Mike - imagine, if you will... having more than 2 of the same car or van. I had 2 GTIs once.

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby 90safari » July 12th 2018, 7:01pm

sixsix wrote:Now, let me get this straight - you have another Astro just sitting out back?
Must be nice to have a parts car. And don't forget: take care of that glass.
Any non rusty sheet metal panels avail? Plastic bits here and there?

Mike - imagine, if you will... having more than 2 of the same car or van. I had 2 GTIs once.

Yes, I have a very rusty 86 Astro out back. Right now I'm slowly working on getting the stationary glass out of it (and feeding the mosquitoes). I also have a 90 GMC Safari that belongs to my wife, that we're storing out back, as she's been using her Honda Accord a lot.

But, the 86 has already given it's engine to my wife's 90 GMC Safari, and I gave my dad the trans for a project of his own (don't know what).
I honestly don't think there's a panel on it that doesn't have rust thru. Even the rear bumper is crumbling (can't stand on it).

A good part of the plastic has seen better days, mostly from the PO (was in construction, and hauled building materials in it, not to mention tools and equipment). Even the headliner is falling down. If you're looking for a dirty gray sliding door upper rod cover, I can help you with that (it's a 2 piece design, and is supposed to be that way).

Once I get the glass out, and the left outside door handle, it's going bye bye. I may pull the steering wheel too (2 year only thing), and put something else on it to help load it on a trailer.

I'm also trying to get the last of what I want off the S-15 before it gets hauled away. Needless to say I've got enough junk laying around here, and need to do some clean up before the cold weather comes back (in 2 or 3 months). :roll:
90safari
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext