Mike's 1992 Astro Resurrection / Bucket List

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Mike's 1992 Astro Resurrection / Bucket List

Postby chevymaher » October 23rd 2020, 8:34pm

There used to be a toll bridge mike. Going into newport on 12th street crossing the licking river.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1989- RS to 4x4 swap list
    by markmitch » September 12th 2020, 4:27pm in Projects/Builds
    27 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 8th 2020, 4:48pm
  • 2002 Astro AWD - Mini Camper/Road Trip Vehicle
    by Gu3nth » June 16th 2020, 4:16am in Projects/Builds
    4 Replies
    Last post by Gu3nth View the latest post
    June 22nd 2020, 4:41am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 11:16pm

Postby sixsix [OP] » October 23rd 2020, 9:06pm

chevymaher wrote:There used to be a toll bridge mike. Going into Newport on 12th street crossing the licking river.

Yeah, "The Dime Bridge" - knew it well. Amazing how fast we could drive thru and still "Hit the Basket".
If not - Newport Mob Gestapo will come to your door at 3:00 AM on Easter or Christmas Morning.
( That's what they told us... right? )

Thanks for the Memories, Randy !!

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby sixsix [OP] » October 24th 2020, 2:35am

Years ( OK, decades ) ago, We used a small footprint, easy to use graphics program called MGI Photosuite.
'95 was our 1st version, I think.
It was aimed towards the Bulletin Board (BB) / Forum crowd to post, simple edit & annotation, resize and store Online stuff for Photo and video presentation. It had Album abilities and Some Very sophisticated selection macros.
While KISS was appreciated - later versions and new programs are allowing Star Wars - like editing and stylistic productions.
We just want to easily draw a couple circles and write stuff on a drawing or pic...

Geez.

Photoshop Premier Elements 2019 is not like that. Unless you are already a Photoshop user, It is quite the handful.
I assume ( hate that *** thing... ) that the progs ( Photoshop & Elements ) are related and if you know one... you know the other - like the various releases of AutoCad.
I only bought it so I could finally equip us with a top-notch first level editor storage video doodad that did not break the bank. Have you priced Mid to High Level Photo / Video / Editor apps/pro/suites ? Hundreds to Thousands.
At the time - Each of the Progs - Elements Photo and Video Premier - sold for about $100 and the bundle was about $150.
Best Buy sold me the 2 individual CD boxes for $49 each cuz' they were out of the 2 pc Bundle.
Less than $100 bucks - I ran to the checkout.

Then I had to Learn It

I cannot judge it objectively or subjectively.
I do not like the Program or the 'methodology' behind the Interface. Reminds me too much of Apple, College snootiness and Democrats, manbuns, backpacks, Karens and indignant black women.

But... it's all we got nowadays - Paint Shop, verbilzde, Apple, flckr, blipshnod, Google, etc, etc are for sissies and most of the rest are ridiculous for just a few features needed.

Our uses are pretty much these 5 or 6 things:

- save as a jpg ( which is the 1st point of contention I have w/ 'The Prog' / it )
- resize - generally 50% - photos ( requires more steps than ridiculous )
- simply draw circles & ellipses or boxes with line thicknesses of 1/32" or so many "Points" ( ? ) or so.
- simply draw lines and arrows in whatever size I want ( it does this surprisingly, while aggravatingly easy )
- type in some text here and there - EASILY - beyond this prog's comprehension.
- Do these last 3 items in whatever color I choose

And the Online Help - ... uhhh ... well, good luck with that. I am convinced it is designed to be understood by people that already know how to use the particular feature, but not how to tell anyone about it... seriously.

Lastly, the "Layers" technology is not lost on me - I have used it in some fairly high level apps and Windows and Apple based designer and graphics stuff.
AutoCad is a good example. A Layering system that is vastly easier to "Get" than anything Adobe or European - like Dassault, etc, etc.

Here is an Step-by-Step Example of drawing a circle in Elements 2019:

- use the 'Selection Marquee' and chose 'Elliptical'
- hold 'Shift Key' and 'Drag' to draw a True Circle - release when blk/wht hatched/"ghost" line is correct size
- go to 'Edit' menu & select 'Stroke (Outline) Selection'
- box allows 'Pixel Width' of line and Color selection
- click 'OK' colors the circle
- click off it - the selected color stays selected - further editing

Sure seems like a lot to go thru for a colored circle
Anyone have something else or easier method ?? - Please...

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby stent » October 26th 2020, 9:37pm

hi mike,
thanks for the program info. here it's late 2020 and i'm still a spazz concerning most any in-depth program usage. i've enjoyed following along the restoration of your door guts & really liked the arrows pointing out what you're doing. i've been working on putting in heated mirrors controlled by the rear window defogger pushbutton and want to post stuff in my build thread with pics that point some arrows to specific terminals in the back of the fuse box. the silly pics i sent you i defaced with the Preview app on an old iMac - https://www.wikihow.com/Add-Arrows-to-a ... shot-(Macs)
some more playing around and i'll know enough to get by.

here's a pic i promised you a while back :
20200923_144318_HDR.jpg
KOBALT!!

:wave:
stent
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: rwd cargo

Postby sixsix [OP] » November 22nd 2020, 3:27am

Messed around with the Passenger Door Latch, Handle, Key Lock and Deadening material.
Unloaded some things we stuck in for room the last 3-4 weeks.

DSCF5545.JPG
KOBALT Action Shot
Full of 30 year old night stand - heading for breakdown to use in the outdoor pit
It is 100% Wood - No Fiberboard - Amazing

I believe we Touched, Moved, Painted, Dusted, Rearranged, Cleaned, Assembled, Re-assembled...
- Setup, Nailed, Screwed 75% of our Interior Furnishings, Walls, Flooring and Carpet.

New Carpet in the Entire Back Half of the House. So moving all that stuff.. Oof... then **** back...

3-4 Weeks of that - topped off with a 6 day visit from my Florida Democratic Aunt...
- 82 year old that thinks like a 24 year old man bun sorority boy...
- and her Equally Disagreeable 55 yo Daughter of the Revolution.

And they brought their usual "Bad Toilet Habits" - straight from the European Cont.
W/O going into detail... let's just say, 'We carry H2O and Sewer Insurance and keep "Roto-Wallet Raper" on Retainer'.

Here's a couple more Wheelbarrow Shots... because... well, why not.

DSCF5546.JPG

DSCF5547.JPG

And the Door...
When I had the Latch relaxed and laying back on the Table I took a few pics and labelled the Rods for Future Ref.

1984 Pass Dr Latch & Rods Install
A good lubing the with heavy lube and plain motor oil has parts moving freely and protected.

1986 Pass Dr Rods & Retainer close
Have to put the last Rod on after the Latch is up in the Door.

1988 Pass Dr Latch install & test
Found out the amount of room inside the door with the Lock Motor stuff in there is limited.
And the Window Track loose also made a bit of a difference.

I fed the Rod up thru the hole first then the Assembly - was more tedious than it should have been.
Where you find out just how ambidextrous you are. OR NOT !!

1989 Pass Dr Ext Handle Rod
With the Latch in, but loose - only one upper screw barely holding.
Enabled putting the Exterior Handle Rod into it's Retainer on the Handle itself.

I'll finish up tomorrow with the Handle Difficulties, Lock Headaches and Sound Deadening Joy.
If I can remember them all...

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » November 22nd 2020, 11:40pm

sixsix wrote:...Handle Difficulties, Lock Headaches and Sound Deadening Joy.
If I can remember them all...

Yup, plenty to remember. Top nut on the Outside Handle was a time consuming bummer.
And some of the Retainers - the "Old Kind/All Metal" were very hard to get going on the Rods.

So, I had read somewhere, that "Putting the Top Nut on the Handle was very difficult."
Like the Democrats, Main River tributary Media, Social Media Giants and like "Top Nuts"... older male AS.com Moderators.

1991 Pass Dr Ext Handle greased-moly-axle
Before putting it in the door, use some good sticky grease or moly on the "Push Points" and wear spots.
Oil everything, but remember, it has to be freely moving, so keep it light, unlike me.

1993 Pass Dr Ext Handle back side grease
Again, grease, but not so much... where you have to hose it down...
- later with Spray Liquid Lithium to get everything moving...

1995 Pass Dr Ext Handle Retainer set up
Got the Retainer set where the Rod goes right in and a minimum of effort is required to seat the damn thing.

This was probably the easiest 'hard task' of them all.
Pliers are God's Gift to the Muslims.

1997 Pass Dr Ext Handle hold Rod for retnr
Needle Nose Pliers were of immense help here.
And, as I said earlier, I left the bottom 2 screws out of the Latch Unit.

Made it easier to manipulate the Handle Rods, etc.

1999 Pass Dr Ext Handle reverse angle
As if you had not seen enough of them by now...
I did not drill out a hole for upper nut access as a few have done. I have a 1" hole saw, just too lazy to get it set up.
It was real time consuming and difficult to get the top nut started.
Did I mention just how hard that top nut is...

Don't forget to grease the dang thing real good, knowing you will just...
- rinse it all off later just getting it freed up to move and "return to center".

2002 Pass Dr Ext Handle from inside
Yup, the top nut was hard, but not as hard as I was when I saw her gams for the first time...
I point the damn thing out in case you have never acquainted yourself with it.
Right handed or left, the nut was hard, but so is Camel Lot Hairless Laughing Hyena's back side skin.

2000 Pass Dr Ext Handle finished
Looks Good, just as I'm loosing daylight...

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » November 23rd 2020, 11:00pm

Last of the "Little Three" Elec/Mech Components in the Door.

The Door Lock / Cylinder / Lever / ******* RETAINER

Here's what it looked like before taking it apart / from the door:

1901 Pass Door Lock Cyl Retainer
Well, that Cylinder Retainer was a true Asswipe to remove.
But not like the "Other Retainer".

Truly Deviant, that one...

2006 Pass Dr Key Lock assy with retnr
The one on the Right - yup.

Trying something a little different...
I thought I would remove the Lever from the end of the Cylinder.
Then mount the Lever to the Rod, where/when it is easier to see and reach.

2008 Pass Dr Sheet metal Key Lock Rod
Yeah, there's "The Rod" hanging there - ready to piss me off and on for 2 days.
Just hanging there, mocking...

2010 Pass Dr Key Lock Lever & Retnr assy
This worked to some degree, after messing with trying a few methods.
The one that worked was the one where I cuss continuously for 10 mins. as I push the retainer into the Rod Groove after missing it 231 times.

I cursed most, but not all, of the Lithuanian dog patrol ladies and all blue '65 Mustangs missing emblems.

2011 Pass Dr Key Lock Cylinder & Lever assy
Here the Cyl. and it's big Retainer just before putting the Lever and that last Retainer on.
It went real easy, couple tries w/o dropping it into my "Extremely Valuable" catch trough down in the door.

Lock works great, both directions, door locks good, opens and closes good.
Gave everything a slight dash of Lithium.

The Lock Cylinder Groove is by the Green arrow & the Rod/Lever stuff by the Magenta. "Magenta"

And if it wasn't getting boring enough, how 'bout some pics and dreary talk of cleaning the inside of the door / prepping for deadening material application...
I mean... when was the last time you saw closeup of Door Weep Holes?

2013 Pass Dr leading edge Weep Hole
Lucky there is no rust on these doors and the bottom of this one was very clean.

The other door was dirty as hell - Left open more and had 10 or so dice and a spare door key in it.

2015 Pass Dr trailing edge Weep Hole
Nice to have an air compressor - be it ever so humble...

2019 Pass Dr Cleanup 2
Wiped down with light soapy water, then alcohol - got all the grease, oil and handprints off.
But... could not get rid of the AstroSafari.com Logo.

2020 Pass Dr Cleanup 3
Was not quite as easy as when the Regulator and Locking gear was out, but cleaned up well.

Key to the stuff staying in place is cleaning and pressing the stuff on real hard / setting it.

2022 Pass Dr Peel n Seal Deadg
Nice milestone to reach.
Went Door edge to edge except the Handle bump out.
Stayed shy of the top edge by 1 inch - so no interf. w/ the Inner Door Panel hanger.

2024 Pass Dr Peel n Seal equip
Not shown is the carpet knife I actually used - not the scissors.

Ended up using the rest of our 91% alcohol to clean surfaces.

Now it is nowhere to be found, 3 stores, biggees, too. Online is kind of sketchy.
Like baby and clorox wipes, I guess.
TP is probably gone now too.

Well, only a few items left:
- Window Motor
- Wiring, Plastic Retainers and new Tape
- Bolt down armrest support
- Reassembly

Hope to see me there...
Last edited by sixsix on November 24th 2020, 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » November 24th 2020, 6:12pm

When you went looking for 91% how many clerks / sales associates looked at you sideways when you asked for it?
It seems to me at least 1/2 of the people I find in stores I need to first teach them about the item,,,
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby sixsix [OP] » November 24th 2020, 8:18pm

There was just as much confusion and glazed over looks as I had when I saw they had 4 strengths of rubbing/isopropyl alcohol. I had to ask - the shelves were empty, just like today at Kroger, altho they had Clorox crap and wipes of 5,670 sorts.
I know we do not get out much, but qeez...

Hey, Bruce - I'm always knocking on the V8 Newbies, but will disclaim there are a couple that have it all going on.

Have any good V8 Anecdotes to pass on? Like... "Some poor slob in a Viper thought he..."
Love 'em.

Randy has plenty w/ his HOT V6. And Music... well, he just raises my cackles - LOL - Love his stuff - all of it.
Now Randy is wrenching again, has a "Witches Brew" going on w/ his Chevelle - I'll just mention... "Brodix".
Things are going to get Loud n' Blue here come spring - his car is "drop dead".

I will have to visit, just to get some Pics - I do not think he will be doing a thread... darn.
His pic taking skills leave a lot to be desired - LOL. Not many can touch his mech. skills, tho.
Or his confidence.

Did I butter him up enuff' ?

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » November 24th 2020, 9:45pm

Not so many vipers in this area, BMW, Mercedes, Range and Land Rovers, mostly people from NYC w/ too much money in too big a rush.
I do confess taking pleasure when some fool tries to pass in the climbing or right lane. I'll jump it and pace them til they run out of road.
Those Range Rover do well on the dirt at 80! :clap:
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Previous