Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Bertjuh`s 92 Astro

29K views 166 replies 32 participants last post by  chevy57bert 
#1 ·
Time to get a Change.
Bought this van in 2002. Saw it while driving in my truck.
The regulations in Netherlands changed for private owners . So I started building this Van in 2006 and make a Camper-Van off it.
Found AS.com and thought, I`am not the only (Dutch) guy how owns a Astro Van :rofl:
I`am not much of a speaker. So here the first pictures...

Bought in 2002.

Updates here: http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m240 ... ?start=all

See less See more
#3 ·
LEVE said:
Cool van.. Are you running that off propane or natural gas? If so, how's that working out for you? I know the in the Netherlands the price of petrol is either an arm or a leg.
Running on LPG. cost almost 1/3 less than petrol.
I get me 2 45 ltr tanks and mount them under the floor.

#5 ·
Upper Ball Joint Replace / Sway Bar linkage

Before

Clean the surface good for proper seating

Use only MOOG Parts.

Before U bolt everything together first cut the Sway-Linkage for easy acces.

Use a Pray-bar to get the Sway-bar up.
And mount the rest off the linkage.

Final Pic. Don`t forget to grease the Ball joints.

#7 ·
#14 ·
chevy57bert said:
Jasen said:
astroturf said:
Good Idea. Thanks
What, did you want him to paddle it over here for you :rofl:
I paddle everywhere for a free JY tour :mrgreen:
Paddle over here go to the junkyards and ship the parts back that you can fit in the "boat" with ya. :chevy:

#17 ·
Someone made a mistake mounting the brake shoes I guess, time to fix it Bert ;)
There are two different sizes in one kit, if I remember correctly the large one goes on the front and the smaller one on the back.
Correct me if I'm wrong :D

#22 ·
il get my mate to help me lift my roof off later or tomorow and get you some pics, the company has cut more on the front off the roof, think if i had a crash and i lifted off my chair id cut the top of my head off on the old roof.

Thanks for the support pics, went and double checked, nope they didnt reinforce anything on mine they did leave about the same around the sides though.

Thanks again mate, really appreciate it.

#23 ·
Today I did some rear axle spring cutting and measurements.
was curious how far the rear axle would get in the wheel well . let me tell your this. Not very far. :crying:
when the rear axle is as far as possible up against the frame, I measure 13 inch.
from center line rear axle to underside wheel well. that leaves to much space between car and road.
So I have to change plans..... 2 or4 link and cut up the rear floor to get the axle higher in to the Rear end.
A set airbags,fabricate a gas tank. and some minor stuff.

The tires on the left side are 195/65-15 on regular steel Astro rims.

Glass fibre springs cut like butter :rolling:
The right one was already past away..

A friend has a spare set (Surburban) leaf springs. The width is the same and the length is almost similar to the old leaf springs.
They need just a little modification. The biggest problem is to get some front hangers for the use of steel leave springs.
(The Netherlands don`t have JY full of Astro/safari`s)

Maybe some can help me out?

#24 ·
i have not measured it yet but look into a tank from a 87 to 91 blazer or suburban through i believe 99. also an s-10 blazer from 87 to 95. i think these tanks will fit in the space a spare tire goes behind the axle and have the correct fittings and sending unit on them for everything to work properly. all that would be needed is hose and wire extensions. just an idea to save a coin or two

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.