4gsafari's build thread

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

4gsafari's build thread

Postby 4gsafari [OP] » June 13th 2010, 9:07pm

Well might as well get a thread started that will have the pictures attached to it
ERRR! They're all on my phone..attaching them later then

1998 Safari AWD SLX
2 three person benches
Class III hitch and brake controller

swapping to a 350 V8
swap front end drivetrain from another (this one's shot)

and more I'm sure...I know me :lol:
Original Poster [OP]
4gsafari
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: 4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD LT gone AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Alpine's 1995 AWD Safari Adventurevan Build Thread
    by AlpineVan » October 23rd 2020, 5:50pm in Projects/Builds
    14 Replies
    Last post by AlpineVan View the latest post
    January 13th 2021, 8:34pm
  • PNW Surf Camper Build
    by erikw9 » September 13th 2020, 3:29am in Projects/Builds
    9 Replies
    Last post by erikw9 View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 8:10pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 8th 2021, 10:34am

Re: 4gsafari's build thread

Postby Jasen » June 14th 2010, 12:12am

Welcome to AS.

Looks like you got a little articulation out of that Jeep there 8-)
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby 4gsafari [OP] » June 3rd 2011, 1:34pm

Well, it's no longer a Safari build, it's a Astro build.
1997 2WD Astro LT - 4 captains, rear split bench
Got a newer front frame, stripped and sandblasted it
Added body lift towers to the frame for ~2-1/2" lift
Had to swap front differentials as I can not yet find a rear axle to match the 3.73 in there
Pulled tranny (and torque converter) and AWD transfercase off a spare Astro mounted them to the 2WD engine
Swapped 2WD and AWD engine mounts
Bolted it all together
Swapped on Nitrogen over Oil Fox Shox on the rear
Set the rear ride height with the nitrogen to match the front until I build a new pack of leaf springs
Installed trailer hitch and wiring
Installed a used set of 235/75/15 Kelly Safari LT Tires
Roughed in a center console that houses 2 amps and a 10" sub
Gps and front and rear iPhone/iPad charge cords wired in
Bluetooth deck installed

Yet to do
Move front bumper up to match body lift or fab gap filler!
Build stiffer rear spring pack
Get a new(used) rear hatch
New front fenders
Repair rockers
Rebuild center console to incoroporate storage and 1000watt inverter
Install parallel/separate rear audio/video system
Pull the carpeting
Rhino line the interior and exterior of the van
....maybe more????
Original Poster [OP]
4gsafari
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: 4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years4gsafari has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 4gsafari [OP] » June 29th 2011, 12:36pm

Well 2 weeks ago the engine croaked  i haven't pulled it apart yet, but from the sound, it broke a rod or took out a main bearing. So it's time to investigate the 350 swap further. I have a sbc 350 short block on a stand in my garage. I don't know much about it, hot it on trade awhile back with some other things. I know the guy I got it from and he's a good engine builder so he's looking at a 350 that was built (done up) pit in a truck and a young fellow hammered it day in day out until something let go in the bottom end. It was in a 1998 truck, Vortec 5.7L so everything should bolt over to the sbc I have and I'll end up with a potent, fresh, V8 to go into the Astro. I'll get the tranny rebuilt while the engine is out so I have a fresh drivetrain. Install new tranny lines, and a new rad. Now to do some research on the V8 swap into an AWD. I know I need to fab/buy engine mounts, fab an oil pan? from 2 v6's? Headers? Dual exhaust front to back or use a crossover 2 into 1?
Original Poster [OP]
4gsafari
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » June 29th 2011, 1:24pm

4gsafari wrote:Well 2 weeks ago the engine croaked  i haven't pulled it apart yet, but from the sound, it broke a rod or took out a main bearing. So it's time to investigate the 350 swap further. I have a sbc 350 short block on a stand in my garage. I don't know much about it, hot it on trade awhile back with some other things. I know the guy I got it from and he's a good engine builder so he's looking at a 350 that was built (done up) pit in a truck and a young fellow hammered it day in day out until something let go in the bottom end. It was in a 1998 truck, Vortec 5.7L so everything should bolt over to the sbc I have and I'll end up with a potent, fresh, V8 to go into the Astro. I'll get the tranny rebuilt while the engine is out so I have a fresh drivetrain. Install new tranny lines, and a new rad. Now to do some research on the V8 swap into an AWD. I know I need to fab/buy engine mounts, fab an oil pan? from 2 v6's? Headers? Dual exhaust front to back or use a crossover 2 into 1?

I had the oil pan off mine before.Eyeballing it is not an exact science but.There a ton of room under there.I would look and see if a older model pan fits.60-70's chevelle camaro impala.The rear of the pans look exactly the same the front just longer.Thats that eyeballing thing I was talking about.Worth checking out tho for sure.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby 4gsafari [OP] » July 8th 2011, 1:09pm

Well the Vortec engine got sold. There's a 1997 4x4 for sale within 5kms of me that has a 350 Vortec. So now I have to see if I can get that. It's high mileage, but I just need the Vortec top end to bolt onto the fresh bottom end I have.
Original Poster [OP]
4gsafari
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):