89 Provan Tiger Rebuild

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

89 Provan Tiger Rebuild

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 21st 2015, 5:44am

Hello all, this is my second Tiger rebuild. I have been rebuilding RV's since the crash. I was a commercial building engineer for 9 years and then began working in media. If you need a rebuild, hit me up!

I decided to document the rebuild with photos this time around. I hope it helps others who are fighting to save their RV projects. When I am finished, I will probably sell it. I want a Tiger but I want an XL model with AWD or better still, an overland 4X4.

I bought this from a church for $400. It did not run, it had no paperwork or title. The interior was completely gutted but some of the components were still in the RV.

http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/tg1.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/tg2.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/tg3.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/tg4.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/tg5.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/tg6.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/tg7.jpg

The fresh tank, waste tank, and inverter/charger are all still there. The lower sofa bed is also there such as it is. Someone attempted to recover it but the results look like they kept their eyes closed and just tried to use the force.

My first concern is always mechanical. If you're rebuilding, it should be your priority as well. After all, if it doesn't run, you don't want to touch the interior or anything else for that matter until it does. I towed it to the nearest shop and had them go through it.

Meanwhile, I did a title search and found that the RV had been abandoned in Arizona in 2007 with no registration or title activity since that time. So I filed an abandoned RV claim on it and I am waiting for a lien title to come back in my name. If you file this document with the DMV, you need to say that you were storing it for some people and they never came back. The point being, in order for it to be abandoned and you have claim to it, it must be on your property. DMV DOCUMENT VP267 (In Nevada anyway)

MEANWHILE AT THE SHOP... :?

The RV had been sitting with a half tank of gas for 7 years and it literally ate the fuel pump. The tank was trashed but cleanable, the fuel filters, and the TBI injectors. It also needed a new battery, starter, power steering pump bracket and serpentine belt. After replacing all of that, we fired it up! SHAZAM!

It was at that time that we realized that someone had stolen the entire exhaust from the manifolds back but it did fire up and I was doing the Snoopy dance! I had them weld on a new exhaust, catalytic converter, pipes, muffler, and tail pipe. All with new hangars. (Pics coming)

Once we got it quiet, I had all the tune up stuff done. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires. I also had all the fluids drained and refilled. We could now test drive it without it sounding like a open bracket racer. 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear... nope, right back to neutral. Tried again, same problem. So much for the Snoopy dance.

So far, I had been very lucky so I couldn't complain when I got hit. Yep, rebuilt tranny. The TH700R4 tranny is probably the best GM tranny ever made. They were used in so many cars you could probably find parts for one at your local grocery store. To pull it, rebuild it, and reinstall it will cost me $850.

Up to this point, I have spent $400 to buy it. $2500 for everything up to the tranny rebuild. Adding that, I have $3750 invested. The only mechanical item left to service is the AC, brakes, and suspension. The paperwork will cost about $200 in fees. Not bad! I will be posting more soon. They will have the tranny completed on Tuesday, September 22, 2015.

Meanwhile, my dog informed me that I am way behind on my "Daddy Play". I have a day to catch up while I wait for Tuesday. More to come.
"Lexi, The all play and no work monitor"
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: TOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Provan Tiger

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Mechanic Recommendation for 1991 Provan Tiger GT
    by tran0370 » January 28th 2021, 6:41pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 7:22pm
  • 1989 Cargo Rebuild
    by Slime » December 4th 2020, 8:21pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 8:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 21st 2021, 8:06am

Re: 89 Provan Tiger Rebuild

Postby chevymaher » September 21st 2015, 12:07pm

Not in ky. If you are not a business. Tow co, garage you will never see a title if you didn't buy it with one. You can't even scrap it without a title.

Your motif is different than mine. I get projects looking good then worry about it running that is the easy part.

Anyway have fun with it and welcome.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 22nd 2015, 6:13pm

Thank you for the welcome. I did check and all states provide and "Abandoned Vehicle Affidavit" of some kind. Of course it takes a few months to go through the process but worth it for a title. You should post how you managed to make that little Astro walk on water. :)
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: TOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » September 22nd 2015, 6:55pm

TOMINVEGAS wrote:Thank you for the welcome. I did check and all states provide and "Abandoned Vehicle Affidavit" of some kind. Of course it takes a few months to go through the process but worth it for a title. You should post how you managed to make that little Astro walk on water. :)

I hear ya and I read the laws here. Try to get one and I gaurentee it be 20 years before you get through the red tape. Took me 12 years to get the chevelle in my name and I had the title. Signed and all legal like. Vehicle titling isn't the most customer friendly place in the state.

Picture is a spoof because my van has a mercruiser boat engine in it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby crispin » September 22nd 2015, 7:10pm

it sucks to have to click on links and view pictures one at a time.

crispin
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: crispin has been a member for 5 full yearscrispin has been a member for 5 full yearscrispin has been a member for 5 full yearscrispin has been a member for 5 full yearscrispin has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997

Postby Lumpy » September 22nd 2015, 7:25pm

crispin wrote:it sucks to have to click on links and view pictures one at a time.

Yes it sure does.

Thanks for reposting them in the more viewer friendly format.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 23rd 2015, 5:02am

I posted the photos that way because they are 4k resolution. Now we have the best of both worlds. Many thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 23rd 2015, 5:09am

I will pick up the RV tomorrow, Wednesday, September 23, 2015. I have a shiny new transmission! I managed to do a little shopping today. You gotta love Craigslist. I picked these up for $120 (both). Now I know what the upholstery color will be. These seats have the belts built in. Very cool and nothing to bolt to floor. I can also abandon the original belts in the RV and make room for the speakers!

Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 23rd 2015, 5:16am

These are the original seat belt locations that will be removed and a pair of LG home theater speakers will fill the hole. I picked up an entire LG 5.1 surround system on CL for $50.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 23rd 2015, 5:48am

SOURCE FOR PARTS

I need just about everything inside. Water Heater, Furnace, Fridge, Pump, Shower pan, you name it. If anyone knows of a good economical source I would be grateful. Seats I have! I will build the cabinets myself and line everything with sheet PVC, or melamine panels. I have decided to build everything in 1940's art deco with a hint of 40's Flash Gordon. The cabinet handles, seat upholstery, cabinet design, is all 40's.

I found this kid's playset online while doing research and decided to use the design as a guide. I am also considering abandoning the kitchen window since storage is at a premium in the GT. Has anyone done that? I'd like to see it.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ken2.7 » September 23rd 2015, 2:40pm

Have you lifted the top yet to see how the canvas and front/rear lift panels are?
Ken2.7
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 34
Alias (AKA): Ken
Van Model Year: 2000

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 23rd 2015, 4:59pm

Yes, I have. All will need to be replaced and or rebuilt.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » September 24th 2015, 10:39pm

For used parts, visit rvdoctorgeorge.com

They have frickin' everything...by the hundredweight.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby crispin » September 24th 2015, 11:18pm

Pretty cool

I'll be watching your progress.

Good Luck!
crispin
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: crispin has been a member for 5 full yearscrispin has been a member for 5 full yearscrispin has been a member for 5 full yearscrispin has been a member for 5 full yearscrispin has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 29th 2015, 8:15pm

Thank you for the info. I sent an email with my shopping list.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 29th 2015, 8:44pm

THE DRIVE HOME

Hello all,
I brought the little Tiger that could home. It ran very well! (It should, I spent enough) My new tranny works great, it was very quiet, didn't miss. The drive from the shop was 20 miles. After I parked, I places a large sheet of cardboard under the engine and tranny waiting for the bad news... 24 hours later... not a drop! Even the cruise control still works.

The pop top is TRASHED! Does anyone know of a REASONABLY PRICED replacement? How about an electric lift for the top? pneumatic maybe? I need to do the top first and work my way down.

The genuine imitation wood grain paneling is outta here!. I plan to redo the walls in sheet PVC. Feel free to weigh in on any of this if you have insight...

They cut all the wires leading to the back of the Tiger so I have no brake lights, tail lights, turn signal lights, etc. People really can be retarded.

So far, you have all been superb! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and guidance.

WHEN CAN I FIND ONE OF THESE THAT DOESN'T COST $300!
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 29th 2015, 8:53pm

THE BRIGHT SIDE

On the bright side, The house battery was still in the box! At least I have a core! The fresh water tank is clean and in tact, the black tank is also in great shape as is the plumbing, gate valve and tank seals. The inverter is also in great shape and working. Now all I need is...

A FURNACE
3 WAY FRIDGE
DOUBLE SINK
STOVE
FRESH WATER PUMP
WATER HEATER
SHOWER/TOILET PAN
AND A LOW RISE TOILET

:screaming:
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio » September 29th 2015, 9:08pm

Now all I need is...

A FURNACE
3 WAY FRIDGE
DOUBLE SINK
STOVE
FRESH WATER PUMP
WATER HEATER
SHOWER/TOILET PAN
AND A LOW RISE TOILET

And some cash.... :D

A while back, I came across this guy, selling parts for VW poptops, who says he makes replacement canvas for any vertical lift poptop... Maybe a useful lead?

http://countryhomescampers.com/products ... top-canvas

Good luck with the build, I love those Tigers....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Ken2.7 » September 29th 2015, 9:57pm

The top lifts much easier with struts. You probably will place the two front struts above the doors to the cab and the two rear struts across the back. Placement is kind of determined by where your snaps are that secure the top and since most Tigers have two snaps across the front, you will have to place the two front struts along the side. You need eight 10mm RV Nitro Prop Lift offset ball mount bracket plates to attach struts (ebay) and use #10x1/2 inch stainless steel screws and 1/8 inch pilot drill for the holes. The struts I used are 36 inch / 40lb. Suspa C16-15952 Gas springs (ebay). Raise the top and have the struts fully expanded when you fasten the strut/ball mount brackets in place. The struts will be a little more weatherproof if the gas assembly end is fastened to the roof and the other end with the rod is secured down below. If at all possible don't trash the plywood end panels that are inside and snap into position when you raise the top. I have read owners have had luck in getting replacement canvas but struggle to get the plywood end panels replaced. I know of a place in the Denver area that does canvas and I think I read recently of one in Phoenix. For sealing vents in the roof consider 3M 4200 Marine Adhesive/caulk and for edges look into Eternabond tape. It never lets go.
Ken2.7
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Ken2.7 » September 29th 2015, 11:33pm

I found 3 sources for canvas in Colorado and I know you are in Nevada so it may not be much help. Phoenix Camper (Commerce City CO), Retro Trailer Design (Glenwood Springs CO) and Outfitter Mfg. (Longmont CO). The original canvas is 3 layers and the insulation in the middle makes it very comfortable for fall/winter camping. I have also noticed it is cooler inside in the summer but my camping is in the mountains so I can't really speak to how well you can avoid heat. I don't know if any of the suppliers I mentioned provide the 3 layer canvas.
Ken2.7

Next