89 Provan Tiger Rebuild

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 89 Provan Tiger Rebuild

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » September 30th 2015, 3:29am

TIGER GT to XL CONVERSION KIT

Thank you Ken. I will contact all of them but from what I have determined, the cost of these is really insane. Today I was thinking, why not make it a XL. Provan wants something like $8000 for the topper from the XL model. Build a tubular frame 22" high with the same footprint as the roof. Wrap it with sheet aluminum, and use windows from a camper shell that sell by the thousands for $50 on Craigslist.

If I have enough interest, I might just build a conversion kit and sell them. Any takers?
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: TOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Provan Tiger

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Mechanic Recommendation for 1991 Provan Tiger GT
    by tran0370 » January 28th 2021, 6:41pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 7:22pm
  • 1989 Cargo Rebuild
    by Slime » December 4th 2020, 8:21pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 8:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 22nd 2021, 12:05am

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » October 2nd 2015, 12:10am

I checked into possible replacements for the pop top but the cheapest I found was $500. I decided to do it myself. First, I used a razor blade and removed the window covers, plastic, and velcro. Those I can use again. Even though the canvas is toast, it is still usable as a template.
I found a 10' x 40' TAN / BEIGE HEAVY DUTY POLY TARP on Feebay that has UV protection for $66. For those who were wondering, the circumference of the Tiger GT roof is 36 1/2 feet. Length is 141" long by 78" wide. Height is 20" but you must add another 4" for the mounting. Total height is 24" or 2 feet.

Once I have the pattern layed out on the tarp, I'll cut 2 lengths, one inside, the other out. Use batting as an insulation and sew it together. Do it yourself or find a seamstress on Craigslist. The installation is really just a ton of screws. Total cost, less than $200, and you'll learn how to sew!
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: TOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full yearsTOMINVEGAS has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » October 2nd 2015, 12:29am

Making your own popup canvas...That sounds like a very industrious project. Please take lots of pics.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » October 2nd 2015, 6:26am

I'm very interested in this project, and I second the request for lots of pictures.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Ken2.7 » October 2nd 2015, 5:11pm

Great idea. I am especially interested in what the middle layer of insulation looks like. Keep us updated. By the way we especially like the small screened vents located on the sides near the front where you sleep. If it gets warm you can pull the flap down to get some air so don't skimp and leave those out.
Ken2.7
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 34
Alias (AKA): Ken
Van Model Year: 2000

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » October 9th 2015, 2:59am

THE CANVAS

Hey everyone. Here the saga continues. I removed the old canvas and what a mess! This is useful because I have photos of what this is actually made of, how it's installed, and options for replacement. The canvas is just held in by a butt load of screws.

REMOVAL
1. Take the trim off the top roof.
2. remove the weather stripping at the top of the actual RV walls (Outside where it meets the roof)
3. Remove all of the screws that are now visible under the weatherstrip.

If anyone was wondering, the actual circumference of the roof (after measuring the canvas) is 35' 2". The height is 23".
The canvas is made from 3 parts. An outer tarp material, it's not "canvas". The inside is like a very light wind breaker material, and in between is a thin layer of foam.

1. My suggestion is buy a tarp material online that is at least 36 feet.
2. Cut it 36 feet long and 46" wide. (Maybe leave a little more for the hem.
3. Then fold it in half with the fold at the top to prevent water from seeping in with the opening at the bottom. Slide your foam in between the fold and hem the bottom closed.
4. Mark for the windows, and cut the holes leaving enough for a hem. Sew in the old screen, (or new. I salvaged mine) as you sew the hem.
5. Sew on the velcro
Sew on the plastic and window flap (Also salvaged)

The cost will be in the area of $200. More if you have to hire a seamstress. Here are a few more pics. Also, I will not reinstall that goofy spring loaded hinge handle raise the roof thingy. So I have the 2 u shaped metal things and a handle for sale.
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/canvas4.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/canvas5.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/canvas6.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/canvas7.jpg
http://www.tomrennen.com/tiger/canvas8.jpg

TIGER GT TO XL CONVERSION... REALLY!

I have decided to go another route. I will convert my GT into an XL using tubed square aluminium! This will give me a permanent solution to eliminate roof raising hardware. I can install cabinets all the way around, I can install a cost effect AC unit, and I can mount a solar panel array.

This can be done with 50 feet of hollow 1"X1" square aluminum. "L" brackets with self tapping screws, and 2 rolls of aluminum roof flashing 20" wide from Home Depot. There is no cutting. Only the bar stock need be cut into 18" sticks. The additional weight is only about 10 lbs.

You can buy a camper shell on Craigslist for $50. Pull the side windows and install them on either side of the over cap berth. Have your Tiger wrapped all the way to the roof and no one will ever know. More to come!
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ken2.7 » October 9th 2015, 4:25am

Thanks for the information on the top. I have wondered how it goes together and what's inside. That little bit of foam does a pretty good job. Good luck on the build and keep us updated.
Ken2.7
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby WoodButcher » October 9th 2015, 1:55pm

If your going to make it a hardtop don't use the aluminum mill finish roof flashing from any "home improvement" store. At the very least use the painted heavier gauge coil stock typically used for wrapping trim when siding.
Better yet go to a supply house that sells vinyl clad aluminum coil stock. A roll 50' x 24" will cost you less than $100. It comes in a wood-grain texture or smooth (I think) and a choice of colors. The vinyl clad stuff might be trouble to paint so if you can't find a color you like buy the painted stock and repaint.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby WoodButcher » October 9th 2015, 2:36pm

Another tip would be to use 1" rigid foam in between your 1"x 1" studs glued to the back of the aluminum. 3M sells a spray adhesive safe for the polystyrene that will make the whole structure tight and rigid w/o adding a lot of weight. The aluminum will be less likely to dent or cave in. Use aluminum pop rivets or stainless steel screws for assembly on the exterior, using plain steel or zinc with the aluminum on exterior surfaces will lead to corrosion pretty quick because of the dissimilar materials.

I used that same idea to make panels that would fit under my van to reflect some of the sound and heat from my exhaust. I used the 1/2" thick blue poly and bent aluminum to wrap and painted.

2 pieces you see the back or in my use the top side, and 2 the painted side up. (sorry for the poor lighting)

painted and installed finished view from underneath, glued and sealed to the ribbed floor.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » November 7th 2015, 2:52am

TIGER ENTRY DOOR REBUILD

Hey all, I have been really busy but have an update. The entry door was in pretty bad shape. The glass was broken out and the frame was also missing. I never understood why they made the door so wimpy since that is the entry that needs the most security. I decided that I would beef that door up and omit the window altogether. I installed a 180 degree peep hole. Besides, there is a window right next to the door.

The doors are really cheap...
The bottom was completely rotted
Sheets of tin that I found at Home Depot
With sheets of styrofoam for insulation
The top and bottom of the door was framed with 2X6. It's a little heavier but so much stronger!
The back also has tin but then I dressed it off with some FRP Sheet PVC also from Home Depot. $22 a sheet. This stuff is great but keep in mind that it must be able to float... have room to expand and contract. DO NOT TRY TO GLUE THIS STUFF DOWN. It will warp and bubble on you.
The finished paint. I found that Almond, Krylon MAX spray paint at Walmart is almost a perfect match for the base cream color on all Tiger models. I also decided to do the stripes all in gold. It's more subtle and I could not find a silver that looked decent. The Krylon MAX in metalflake gold sprays really well.

ONWARD!

I still have the pinstripe to do but will save that for last.

Also in this photo you can see the that the GT to XL conversion is well on it's way! I will do a separate post for this conversion. It's very simple to do. I will add a 6 panel Solar array on top for a total of 90 watts output. In the back I am framing for a permanent 8000 BTU air conditioner, and inside I will have custom overhead cabinets.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ken2.7 » November 7th 2015, 3:39am

I didn't even notice the vertical black bars on the top until I reread your last paragraph. Thanks for the update and pictures and the door looks great. I added a second weatherstrip around my Tiger door and it really helped reduce the noise. I'm looking at how I might add a third.
Ken2.7

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » November 7th 2015, 3:49am

GT TO XL CONVERSION

Since I had to replace the canvas on the top anyway, I decided to abandon the pop top approach and do a hardtop conversion. I noodled on this for a while and came up with a very simple and inexpensive solution. The great part is if I want to change it back to a GT, I can just unbolt it!

I am framing the back for a simple and INEXPENSIVE window AC. I may also install small windows on the sides of the bunk that you can rob from a cheap camper shell on Craigslist.

Tubed aluminum costs a fortune and I realized that I would need another solution. Wait for it....
That's right, a fence! Tubed steel so it's very light, welded on one side so it's very strong. I measure one side (Mine is 18" tall. I have a very good reason for this) Then I flipped it over and cut another 18" section from the other side.
I have welded pickets every 6 inches and got 16 feet out of one fence section at $60.
I just measured the lengths, pre-drilled the holes, and then shot the rails down with #14 X 2 1/2" tappers every other picket. No, it's not going anywhere! You can't weld steel to aluminum so my solution is very simple. Use "L" brackets.

The top pickets will have "L" brackets that I will shoot to the pickets with self tapping screws and then into the roof. VIOLA!

WHY I MEASURED EXACTLY 18"?

The normal height of a GT roof extended is about 21 inches. However, a roll of metal roof flashing is 25 feet long and 20 inches wide. At 18 inches tall, with a 1 inch overlap for the top and bottom... = 20 inches. Nothing to cut. Just start wrapping the outside with that roof flashing for a perfect fit.

I would put a layer of plastic down before installing the sheet metal. Heavy 6 mil should do nicely for added insulation.

Cut Styrofoam to insulate between the pickets and then finish the walls with your choice of wall covering. Paneling, etc. More to come!
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » November 8th 2015, 2:12am

TIGER ROOF PREP & REPAIR

Hey all. I got a lot done today and wanted to pass along a few things that have made remodeling much more efficient. First, avoid silicone at all costs! It's messy, a pain in the *** to remove, and most of the time people use way too much! Instead, try using this little guy...
The self tapping, self sealing screw!

First, remove the old screw, then clean the area with a wire wheel.
Area ready for the screw.
Run the screw in until it makes contact with the surface, then GENTLY HAND TIGHTEN with a nut driver about 1/8th of a turn. That's it.

I also installed the skylights and vent pipe cap. You need to use BUTYL TAPE, not silicone, caulk, or adhesive.
Butyl tape comes in different sizes and thicknesses. 3/4" at 1/8th thick is standard. It never dries and creates a perfect seal.

Butyl tape around the bottom of the cap.

GENTLY hand tighten the screws just after they make contact with the surface. Snug, that's it.

Now that all the screws are in and the nothing will leak, I will shoot the entire roof with Rhino Liner to seal any cracks or areas that the tape and screws aren't going to cover. No silicone, no mess, a much better seal, longer lasting, and it looks better too.
The coating will fill any gaps and cracks. You can also have the roof wrapped in vynil. :)

Here is a close up of the finished door. Also a shot of my retro distressed 2 way fridge!

Not bad a for a days work! More to come.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » November 11th 2015, 1:32am

GT TO XL CONVERSION CONT...

Hello all, The framing is complete and all of the brackets have been attached. The opening for the air conditioner has been framed. This will save a ton of money. I have a brand new Frigidaire 8000 BTU A/C going in and saved over $300 not buying a rooftop unit.

I need to finish the roof. I have to wire it, add HDMI cables from the in dash DVD to the LED TV. I also have to install the new headliner which will be much easier to do while it's off the RV. I have run the wiring for the marker lights in front and in back as well.

I bought 2 sections of fence at $60 each. Tapping screws and brackets at about $50, and 2 rolls of 20"X25' of flashing at $38 each. The entire conversion cost about $250 and I will have about 5 full days of labor working alone.

Here is the grinder and cutting blade...

MORE TO COME!
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ken2.7 » November 11th 2015, 1:55am

I've got to say I admire your work and the thought process you've put into it. Nice job, the pictures make it clear what you're up to. Did the wiring for your roof lights/fan come up from the front right corner? Ken
Ken2.7

Postby Lumpy » November 11th 2015, 3:27am

No kidding! Nice work Tom... :rockon:

Finding that fence stuff, cutting it down to double the length...Very good scrounge/repurpose thought process there.

Is the A/C unit going to run only on Shore Power? Or did you already answer that?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » November 11th 2015, 4:48am

Ken2.7 wrote:Did the wiring for your roof lights/fan come up from the front right corner? Ken

Should be the front left(drivers) corner as all of the wiring runs along that side of the vehicle, and that is where it is on mine.
But being an 'aftermarket' conversion, could always be different depending on the day it was built :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » November 11th 2015, 6:05pm

Ken2.7 wrote:I've got to say I admire your work and the thought process you've put into it. Nice job, the pictures make it clear what you're up to. Did the wiring for your roof lights/fan come up from the front right corner? Ken

There were only 2 wires (pos and neg) that come up ABOVE, AND ON THE DRIVER SIDE. Right in that corner. That run feeds everything in the roof.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TOMINVEGAS [OP] » November 11th 2015, 6:13pm

Lumpy wrote:No kidding! Nice work Tom... :rockon:

Finding that fence stuff, cutting it down to double the length...Very good scrounge/repurpose thought process there.

Is the A/C unit going to run only on Shore Power? Or did you already answer that?

Thanks Lump and yes, the A/C will only run on shore power. A generator that could power it would be way too big!

Yes, the fence thing is a great idea but it took a while to arrive at it. It's very very strong if anyone was wondering and with so many Tiger owners out there trying to solve the "TRASHED ROOF" problem, I'm glad I have one to offer.

What is really cool is this is all bolted so you can go back to a GT if you want, None of the mod is destructive. It's pretty easy to do with no special tools. Best of all, it was inexpensive without being weak or dangerous.
Original Poster [OP]
TOMINVEGAS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TrevorK » November 14th 2015, 12:40am

Great build, Tom. I may copy your door rebuild as mine is flexing around the handle which makes it difficult to latch from the inside. I also feel that the window is a little pointless as well.

What did you use to seal the new aluminum skin to the door frame on the outside?
TrevorK
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: TrevorK has been a member for 5 full yearsTrevorK has been a member for 5 full yearsTrevorK has been a member for 5 full yearsTrevorK has been a member for 5 full yearsTrevorK has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1988
Extra Info: Tiger XL

PreviousNext