Dave's '04 AWD Camper Build

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

3rd Row Seat - Folding Plywood Platform

Postby dmilamj [OP] » February 19th 2016, 6:48pm

So I started work on the folding plywood platform portion of the seat. The idea is to have two panels that are hinged off the front edge of the seat base and that fold up underneath the seat.

Here's test fitting the plywood and hinge location.

Here are the 3/4" plywood panels, 16" deep each and about 47" wide. I've routed the edges except along the hinge side. The hinges are standard steel door butt hinges, $10 at the hardware store. I had to route a little channel for the hinge barrel as well as mortise the hinge plates.

Chisel for scale:

Test fitting underneath the folding platform:

Cut out the stock mounting point threaded plates:

Weld in some angle for a flat mounting point for the hinges:

Test fit base with folding platform extended:

Test fit folded:

More to come....
Original Poster [OP]
dmilamj
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: dmilamj has been a member for 5 full yearsdmilamj has been a member for 5 full yearsdmilamj has been a member for 5 full yearsdmilamj has been a member for 5 full yearsdmilamj has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): Dave
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • PNW Surf Camper Build
    by erikw9 » September 13th 2020, 3:29am in Projects/Builds
    9 Replies
    Last post by erikw9 View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 8:10pm
  • 2000 Astro LS RWD Camper Build
    by AstroMung » March 7th 2021, 6:39pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    Yesterday, 2:44pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 9th 2021, 10:28am

Re: Dave's '04 AWD Camper Build

Postby Lumpy » February 19th 2016, 9:20pm

This is really a great project.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Doesn't this just beat the heck out of going down to the new car dealer, forking over $960 a month for the next eleven years and getting in return a car that looks like every other car in the neighborhood? And smells like Chinese rubber on top of all that.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby dmilamj [OP] » March 21st 2016, 3:50pm

I'll update the seat build in a bit with some more photos, but I've got a quick question:

I'm thinking of attaching my house battery at an angle in front of the rear wheel hump. I need to attach a battery tray to the sloping part of the rear drivers wheel hump. Any thoughts about the best way to do that? I was thinking bolts with a fender washer to attach the tray through the wheel hump sheet metal. There would be a visible bolt/fender washer inside the wheel well. Is that an issue? If the tire gets up that high, it would be a bad rub to have a bolt sticking out. I will trim the bolts to get them as short as possible.
Original Poster [OP]
dmilamj
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: dmilamj has been a member for 5 full yearsdmilamj has been a member for 5 full yearsdmilamj has been a member for 5 full yearsdmilamj has been a member for 5 full yearsdmilamj has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): Dave
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Lumpy » March 21st 2016, 4:01pm

Insert the bolt from the outside, in the wheel well. The tire will never get up that close. That's like 1/4" from the inside of the wheel well. If the wheel/tire moves that much, you've got other, boinker problems.

The obvious problem is the compound concave, convex curves of the wheel well. I suppose you could build complex curve surface washers for the inside and outside. Cargo will be along in a minute to explain how to do that. But I think simpler is to disregard the curves, use regular diameter washers (not fender washers) and distribute the stresses between three points. Nylon washers under the steel, RTV sealer, torque them not TOO tight, drive it.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby deafman » February 15th 2021, 8:36am

We haven't seen a post from you in a few years Dave. How are you and the van?
deafman
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: deafman has been a member for 4 full yearsdeafman has been a member for 4 full yearsdeafman has been a member for 4 full yearsdeafman has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS RWD

Postby sixsix » February 15th 2021, 5:08pm

HE WAS JUST VISITING THE OTHER DAY... WHY NOT PM HIM AS I DOUBT HE CHECKS IN OFTEN.

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » February 15th 2021, 8:56pm

That is a sweet van that Dave has. Low mileage, great year, pop-top.

Dave, hope you are out there in the wild enjoying life and your van!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Previous