Raphael's 00 Safari

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Raphael's 00 Safari

Postby rj_whitten [OP] » September 19th 2010, 10:28pm

I am planning on doing the interior so far and have started some work and wanted to share it. I started with the headliner of the van as it was annoying me the most with the dirt that was on it that would not come off. I decided I wanted to place vinyl on the ceiling and mirrors as I haven't seen many people use vinyl up there. Also I did the multicolor's on purpose as I do not like just one solid color over everything.
:ugeek:
Click "Show" to see all of my pictures I have taken on this project. Warning: Alot of pictures.

As you can see there was a-lot of dirt above the drivers head(Bought the van like this).

The board in the back was a little cleaner but still had spots on it.

I upholstered the center console with a white vinyl on the top and painted the bottom gold. I also trimmed back some of the top (Will show later) to add a "Mood Light" (The silver bar you see) that gives of a soft blue glow when the switch is turned on. I plan to fix this and have it come on with the car (Easy) by time in install the upholstery back in the car. (Have to wait 3 days for dap to set before exposing to 150F + temps (I live in Florida). I tested it by placing it in the car before the three days and the vinyl shrunk and the glue failed on some parts. (Costing me more money).

I used "Marine Vinyl" for this mission. Available at JoAnnes Farbrics http://marinevinyl.org/ As you can see this vinyl is meant to sit in heat and won't damage under moisture. I wanted to avoid using what ever vinyl GMC placed on the car door as mine cracked under my sharp elbow. (Next Project) I assume that the previous owner never used the arm rest on the door as there where no cracks until I bought it. :poke:

The Sun Visor

They look so disgusting!

So much better. I'm an Artist! I found it impossible to open the Large visor to do my upholstery so I had to work with a closed unit. Could not hide the edges very well so I decided to cover it with the rope like edging. The small one (White one) I was able to open and did that one without any hassle.
The foam soaked up all the smoke from the previous owner.
Image The plastic Cracked one of the mirrors while placing it back in the casing. :( Thats ok as I want to get a mirror that is flat anyhow without that bubble mirror. I will probably look in a junk yard for one one of these days when I get the money.

The Mini TV
My van came with a TV in the rear that black with a grey vinyl boarder. I wanted to keep the black originally but I broke the back of the TV long ago when I hit it with my head. I repaired it with super glue and it has been fine since but I had to sand the super glue down to make it smooth. After getting it smooth enough I painted it. It came out fine (Not able to tell it was ever cracked. but yesterday I decided to make the screen black on the back (White Front) as hands will touch it a-lot. So I placed Black Vinyl over the back (Where it was cracked / painted over). I placed white vinyl over the boarder of the screen and made the top gold to match my console. In this picture and the one below you can also see the bar (Mentioned below) in the process of me making it. (Above) Completed black vinyl bar. (Below) incomplete vinyl bar with glue setting.
Double sided tape started to wear on my tv so I placed some dap on it. I love this light since it makes it seem like a theater.
Image most of the indentations you see on this piece come from me walking on the headboard (It's large) they dissipate after a while but I need to walk on it to work on it.
As I said Earlier the heat slightly shrunk the vinyl back so I had to create a bar to hide the pulled back part where the two vinyl pieces joined (At the white rope) I did this by buying a long vinyl molding from home depot $2.09 and covering it in the black marine vinyl. In this picture I layed the glue out where the bar is going to be set.
Full Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/102337395047027251032/UpholsteryProject?authkey=Gv1sRgCNy8w5bOgfio4wE&feat=directlink

More pictures coming soon Enjoy.
Original Poster [OP]
rj_whitten
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: rj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA): Jeuno
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2002 Safari Conversion
    by microbet » October 4th 2020, 11:14pm in Projects/Builds
    11 Replies
    Last post by microbet View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 5:45am
  • 02 gmc safari build
    by Rahdigs » October 15th 2020, 5:40am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 11:25pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 8th 2021, 1:43pm

Re: Raphael's 00 Safari

Postby Phantom » September 19th 2010, 11:07pm

Looks really nice, is that vinyl at a reasonable cost?
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby astroturf » September 19th 2010, 11:13pm

Lookin Good RJ

Keep it up.

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby rj_whitten [OP] » September 19th 2010, 11:29pm

:ty: The vinyl is $14.99 a yd I don't know where I can get any cheaper. I got most of mine with 40% off the price due to JoAnnes coupons. I spent less then $60 for the vinyl and still have some left over, which I am doing some of the panels with. Placing the vinyl in also gives you that new car smell which I like. Eliminates me having to get air fresheners at least until I finish building the vinyl parts inside.

Hopefully I will be able to make something like this. Image
Original Poster [OP]
rj_whitten
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: rj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full yearsrj_whitten has been a member for 11 full years

Postby webcat » September 20th 2010, 4:04am

Looks like your trying to build a landjet. :thumbup:
webcat
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby 'cudapaul » September 20th 2010, 5:39am

Used in this:

But how about this interior:

'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby rj_whitten [OP] » September 20th 2010, 6:33am

I like the white one only, When I first saw it it made me think of my van so I thought it would look great in a van if you can conjure up the room and find seats like that. That red one would make me feel like I am going to war.
Original Poster [OP]
rj_whitten
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby rj_whitten [OP] » September 20th 2010, 6:11pm

Here are some more updates. (What I did Yesterday)
Image Letting glue set on Panel. I used to have lights on these panels but I thought it would be better if I relocated them as I do not wish for people outside my car to pay much attention to them. Especially the police.

After Glue set I laid the vinyl over the piece.

This Piece was no fun. After I sanded it I cleaned it with soap and water, then spread Dap all over the piece and the vinyl. The vinyl decided to roll up on me while the glue set, and created a big mess.

It's kinda like working with two pieces at one time.

Light Relocation

I decided to move the red light to the back of the car and face it down to the occupants (not Illegal) and the white to the door facing inward (Also not illegal).

White facing from door.

Red light installed on back Headliner facing down.

Now I'm going to check all the pieces for imperfections and fix them and probably assemble them back in the van.

Will take more pictures. I will also show the mood lights I added. It makes the car feel like a airplane already.
Original Poster [OP]
rj_whitten
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Taffy25 » September 20th 2010, 9:23pm

Wow nice work, gonna look really nice.
Taffy25
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Taffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: vin z 2.5 D rwd

Postby webcat » September 20th 2010, 10:45pm

LJ
Attachments
LandJet8.jpg
webcat
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years

Postby astroturf » September 20th 2010, 10:46pm

webcat wrote:LJ

What kind of Van is that Web?
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby webcat » September 20th 2010, 11:01pm

astroturf wrote:
webcat wrote:LJ

What kind of Van is that Web?

I'm not sure what this specific one is but i think there usually Chevy Astro or full size Chevy , full size ford and i think sprinter is common also.
They come outfitted with alot of Networking electronics , basicly a mobile office so that you can work in traffic while you pay a driver $10--$12 bucks a hour or what ever they make to drive you around and free up your time . It be pretty good for somebody that worked online alot and had webpages that made you money.
webcat

Postby rj_whitten [OP] » September 21st 2010, 9:05am

More Pictures! I placed all the pieces I completed in the van. It was a-lot of work and I still plan to do more but I need to take a brake while I gather my thoughts and the materials I need.

These images where all taken at night.
I trimmed off the top of the original center console to expose a gap on both sides. I placed a Blue neon light on top of the console.
You can see the back door light now :), It activates on doors opening and Below is a switch I installed that turns it on manually.
The same neon installed on top of the console is also installed under the kick plates. They all come on when the key is turned to on, AC, and engine started.
My new sunvisors. This vinyl gives my van a whole new vibe. :mrgreen:
I didn't intend to have a picture of my son there but I keep it there while driving so forgot to move it before taking picture :)
Now I must do something about the seats, side panels, and the rest of that filthy carpet. :snooty:

I Love the results. :rolling:

Phantom wrote:Looks really nice, is that vinyl at a reasonable cost?

I found this site that has materials. The vinyl I bought cost $12.29 a yd here vs $14.99 a yd I paid at JoAnnes it says 40 YD. ROLL $10.95 YD. I would just buy the 40 yd roll if you will end up using it all over your van (Seats, Panels, Headliner, Lining of carpet, Dash, and whatever else I missed.) and it will be way cheaper even w/ shipping. It's $599.60 for JoAnnes 40 yd Roll. $438 for Atrim's. Atrim does not list the shipping cost however. Lets hope it does not add up to more then 161.60 or JoAnnes will be better minus gas costs to get there. If you have extra you can always do like the Cadillacs and make a vinyl top (Don't know how that would look on a GMC safari, Photoshop anyone?).
http://www.atrim.com/
Original Poster [OP]
rj_whitten
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby astroturf » September 21st 2010, 1:16pm

RJ,

That has really come together nicely...

Congrats, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby tex star detail » September 24th 2010, 1:48pm

Reminds me of the "Cash Cab". LOL
2000 GMC Safari Cargo
1999 Chevy Astro Cargo- SOLD Also
1995 GMC Safari Cargo- SOLD!
tex star detail
Years of Membership: tex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full yearstex star detail has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 70
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD Cargo

Postby Lumpy » September 25th 2010, 6:24am

'cudapaul wrote:...
But how about this interior:

Looks like the interior to the shuttle craft from the USS Enterprise.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby doyoulikeithere » September 25th 2010, 7:06am

Hey Jeuno.

Thats some very nice work. Looks great.
Remember those shaggin wagon Vans of the seventies?
:twisted:
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: doyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rod's Trucks » January 6th 2021, 6:57am

I really commend you for tackling a project like that, and the different colors really help define things.

I have discovered vinyl will shrink even in the Great Northwe(s)t. It is a very rare day to see 100 degrees in the Seattle area, but it can get over well 100 inside on a summer day with the window up.
I would not have chosen white, but that is because I cannot seem to keep my hands clean.
Washing dishes is good for getting my hands clean...after the normal de-greasing routine, and my wife does not mind me doing it. :lol:

Rod J
Issaquah, WA
Rod's Trucks
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby SportsBoy » January 6th 2021, 3:55pm

True, as Rod said, very cool project.
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » January 6th 2021, 4:12pm

Ha, you guys realize his last update was September 21st 2010 right?
Heck, he hasn't even logged on in over two years.
I'm guessing by now he may have discovered drawbacks to vinyl...
:rofl:
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van