Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

AWD Safari Project,

6K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  WoodButcher 
#1 ·
Hi, I love this site, I am on my 4th astro/safari now, I have always been disrespectful to these vans as they have been cheap buys, been tuff as nails and been very dependable. Now that I have been reading in this forum I love these vans, I have owned this $300 98 AWD for 3 days now, I have the engine out and am planning on a V8 swap, 4 inch lift, maybe a roof raise of 12" and body widening of 16 inches! The idea is to have a van that will tow my car trailer, be a daily driver and a camper. Will use 2 or 3 vans to do this, I have no clue how long it will take, trying to get the v8 in by next weekend but I way too many projects.

#2 ·
:shock:
Wider by 16 inches? You sir have my attention.

What's the desire to be wider?

Are you planning to widen the whole thing or just the cargo area?

#3 ·
Well the plan is make it wider from about an inch or two from the front doors, out about 6 to 8 iches each side, and raise the roof from the front on about 12 inches, all this to make more room for the fridge, stove, sink, water tank, bed ect ect. I do all my own welding by mig and chop with sawzall!

I took apart the motor today, from what I understand my oil pan will need to build from two pans? is this right? is there a pan i can just buy and bolt on? can someone point me in the right direction on this? I also need to know where to order awd v8 engine mounts from? I looked on the jtr site but only see the rwd mounts.

#15 ·
I need to get my hands on two steel v6 pans, cop them to fit the v8 and weld together, question is why cant I just use a pan from a 4x4, seams to be lots of clearence, is it for the hight on front for the diff is? if so I could always lift the engine as I plan a body lift anyways.

am I right here?

someone?
????

#18 ·
I now what you're talking about when you say "Cheap buys". My latest cruiser, an 03 AWD, was had for $900. 1 catalytic converter later, and I'm cruising in the Eastern Oregon desert! Yesterday I was given 4 96-02 Astro cargo vans by a linen company that is upgrading. I can keep my babies on the road indefinitely!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.