Tiger Provan GT restoration advice?

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Tiger Provan GT restoration advice?

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » February 11th 2016, 2:49am

I just picked up a 2WD 1988 Provan GT in excellent mechanical shape. 80k original miles, no leaks, good compression, no metal floating around in the gear boxes, front end tight, etc.. But the coach needs a little work to repair some water damage. I picked it up for $4800 (sorta) sight unseen. I had a buddy check it out for me since it was 300 miles away- told him specifically to look for mold and water damage. He said it looked ok, but when I got it home I found otherwise. Anyway, lesson learned, water under the bridge...

There are some small roof leaks easily remedied with some Proseal and Proflex, but the lift panels are rotted. They work, but the front one needs to be replaced sooner or later. Also, the pop-top liner (canvas?) looks to be in decent shape EXCEPT for some mildew and probable mold issues, and possibly in the roof liner too. Even if I wanted to replace it, the roof screws holding the top of it in place are covered in Eternabond tape. Its also a 3-layer material (water proof vinyl or canvas material on the outside, some kind of insulation in the middle, and a thin liner on the inside) that seems like a recipe for trapping moisture and doesn't seem like it can be simply scrubbed with Tilex and rinsed like a single-layer canvas. Otherwise, everything else in the coach is good to go- furnace, fridge, burners, toilet, water pump, electrical system, cabinets, cushions, etc.. Outer paint is decent, but definitely looks like an 88...

So what I'm wondering is:

a) If I remove the lift panels and build 2x4 supports to keep the roof propped up, does anyone know if its possible to use some kind of commercial steam cleaner with mildew-specific chemicals to clean the liner from the inside? Maybe contact someone that specializes in removing mold from houses? It just doesn't seem like you can simply scrub it because of the inner insulation material. If anyone has experience dealing with this liner-type advice would be greatly appreciated!

b) Should I get new lift panels made from synthetic material from FWC for about $900 and install them myself? Or I should I fabricate them myself? Both options sound like a headache and time-suck. The third alternative is the local RV shop can make/install new wooden ones for roughly $900-$1000.

In the end I don't want to spend much more on the repairs than what the vehicle is worth. That said, if I remove the Eternabond tape myself, order a new canvas, strip the old canvas and roof liner myself, then let the local RV shop put it all back together, I could be looking at dropping $2000-$2500 into the vehicle. But if that brings the resale of the vehicle closer to $7k than I would certainly consider it.

Thoughts?

IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG (30.14 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: beneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Ben
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Tiger Provan GT

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Mechanic Recommendation for 1991 Provan Tiger GT
    by tran0370 » January 28th 2021, 6:41pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 7:22pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 21st 2021, 8:01am

Re: Tiger Provan GT restoration advice?

Postby 97cargocrawler » March 5th 2016, 10:38am

Is ASTROWILL MIA? I figure he'd be all over this..
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Re: Tiger Provan GT restoration advice?

Postby AstroWill » March 23rd 2016, 2:50am

beneng_jr wrote:the roof screws holding the top of it in place are covered in Eternabond tape.

Be careful with the Eternabond, I have heard of people ripping metal trying to remove it. But it does seal like a champ.

beneng_jr wrote:a) If I remove the lift panels and build 2x4 supports to keep the roof propped up, does anyone know if its possible to use some kind of commercial steam cleaner with mildew-specific chemicals to clean the liner from the inside? Maybe contact someone that specializes in removing mold from houses? It just doesn't seem like you can simply scrub it because of the inner insulation material. If anyone has experience dealing with this liner-type advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would give that a shot though I don't have any experience with any of the products. I have a feeling that once it's in the liner you will never get it all but I would still try. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the liner, esp if it's in good shape otherwise.

beneng_jr wrote:b) Should I get new lift panels made from synthetic material from FWC for about $900 and install them myself? Or I should I fabricate them myself? Both options sound like a headache and time-suck. The third alternative is the local RV shop can make/install new wooden ones for roughly $900-$1000.

If you have eliminated the leaks, then using the same type of paneling will be fine and last a really long time. There isn't anything special about the lift panels, some mobile home paneling from the 80's and hinges. I'm not sure what the paneling would cost you locally but 2 sheets has to be a whole lot less than $1000.00

beneng_jr wrote:dropping $2000-$2500 into the vehicle. But if that brings the resale of the vehicle closer to $7k than I would certainly consider it.

(all prices are 'and up') from my research it's about $1000 if you have someone else build lift panels, and $1000 to $2000 for the canvas(plus about $1000 to install) if you want the stock 3 layer. Single layer canvas can be had a bit cheaper, under $1000 at a few different places. Also note that depending on who you buy your canvas from, the windows won't be in exactly the same place.
Prices are all over the place for these so it's hard to tell, but I feel you would be in the ballpark at least.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches