Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Is this a good deal

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Phantom 
#1 ·
#3 ·
For that price I dont think so. You will need another complete van to get parts from. The inner fenderwells are destroyed and the core support is to. You better be a good welder to take on this one. Frame probably bent. that is pole damage and the frame right under that mess. air conditioning box probably gone.Only good parts I seeing are a drivers fender and headlight ring. Everything else will be stripped back to the passenger door. If your lucky and the frame is okay.

If you have a same year van already with 10 billion miles on it maybe. Put the motor,trans and rear end in yours. Interior.
You will know every nut and bolt on a van when your done.

I went through this with my van. And it was not near as severe. It looked worse but the underlying parts were okay. Core support needed replaced. Once the inner fenders damaged that bad you have to replace them. Now your doing geometry before you weld.

By the time you buy the parts to fix it you would spend enough to buy it undamaged. I am hard core and this is beyond what I would do.

Have I mentioned.

#8 ·
Not a good deal at all.

Just as a general principle, you should always buy a vehicle according to what it is RIGHT NOW more so than what it COULD BE.

When it's fixed, I think that it will sell for $5K to $6K but that doesn't justify a $2000 price tag for a vehicle that can't even be driven.

It might be a good deal if you are a recycler, or if you have a custom shop, or otherwise have the wherewithal to fix it up cheaply and relatively quickly.

But it's a bad deal due to the fact that you'll probably spend nearly $5K in both money and time. (e.g. $2k for the van, $1K for parts, $1K for shop work, etc)

#9 ·
You should ask the seller for more pics and details , it could be in better shape that speculated , It might be drivable at least to get it home and if so then you could determine if it has any suspension problems , and exactly to what extent the damage is ,, possibilities can be good as well as bad , you need more detailed pics of the damaged side ,, you may be able to talk the price down as he says he cannot do the work himself , unless you can see the true extent of the damage there is no way to know how bad or how not so bad it really is , only a person willing to fix it up or salvage yard will be interested in it and a salvage yard would not give much as they will not put any money into it , you may be able to get him down to 800 , , don't get scared away without even seeing more pics , email is free :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.