calling all swap gurus 95 to 98

calling all swap gurus 95 to 98

Postby buick68 [OP] » December 13th 2010, 7:59am

Hello, would like to know if anyone has swapped out the old style 90's dash for the newer 97's and up dash if so any and all info with pics i have a 1995 astro RWD love the look of the rap around dash
Original Poster [OP]
buick68
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: buick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): jd
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 95 Astro Parts Compatability
    by FieryShrimp » August 15th 2020, 12:52am in Interior
    8 Replies
    Last post by augidog View the latest post
    August 17th 2020, 5:49pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 25th 2021, 8:07pm

Re: calling all swap gurus 95 to 98

Postby redfury » January 9th 2011, 4:10am

No specific info, but I would imagine that changing to the new dash would be completely dependent on if they changed the way the heater box distributed heat and any mounting points. Considering how little the Astro really changed over the lifespan of it, I can't imagine that many parts ARE NOT interchangeable with little or no modification being needed. The real issue would be the electrical interface with the gauge pod, since you are dealing with an OBD 1/2 interchange.

I don't think I'd worry about how it mounts up, or if there would be issues with the steering wheel. I think the issues to focus on/research would be

Heater box/controls
dog house
instrument cluster
light switch
and locations of these components in relation to the old/new dash configuration.

I know the location of the hood release on the old Gen 1's is under the dash and the Gen 2 are on the left kick panel. The details are what would hang you up the longest/send you back and forth to the parts yard. If you had a donor vehicle parked next to the 95, then that would be ideal, and I think you could make the swap pretty easy-being able to compare each side by side.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby G Mc » January 13th 2011, 10:08am

Heres a pic of my 97 without the dash if it helps you....

You might notice that i've managed to use the original heater controls and a vent...funny that they were exactly a "Din" size, so they're located in the radio anr cd player slots...the kenwood touchscreen is mounted in the Ford heater/vent space....
Attachments
DSC00308.JPG
DSC00308.JPG (66.48 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Photo0027.jpg
New dash coming along nicely.......
G Mc
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: G Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):

Postby Somedood » January 13th 2011, 8:46pm

Very good job! tons of work but, you put steering wheel on the wrong side... :banghead:
Somedood
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Somedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 96AWD and 89RWD

Postby Phantom » January 13th 2011, 9:00pm

Looking really good ,, is your dash different than the USA ones other than the steering wheel? I have been wanting to put in a touchscreen in about the same place as you have put your screen , but your HVAC controls and the center console area look different , did you make those mods and if so what did you use for parts ? or is that all factory original?
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » January 14th 2011, 3:15am

looks like he swapped out the radio spot for the controls and the storage/CD slot for the dash vents. Pretty slick, I'd like to see how that all gets buttoned up. I like the instrument cluster mod too.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby G Mc » January 14th 2011, 10:29am

Cheers guys..just to clarify..the only part left of the original dash is the clock/gauges and facia....
The rest of the dash is from a 1996 Ford Granada Scorpio (Merkur Scorpio).
The double din player is located into the spot once occupied by the Ford heater vents and controls..My heater controls are where the Ford radio was with the vent just below where the cd player was...as i've said they fit perfectly in with not much fab work..
Just need to work out how to remove the "dog house" without having to remove the whole dash...... :o
G Mc
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: G Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full yearsG Mc has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Somedood » January 18th 2011, 2:32am

:D IMPRESSIVE :D
Somedood
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Somedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full yearsSomedood has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 96AWD and 89RWD

Postby G Mc » January 18th 2011, 7:33pm

OK so, dash out again (my arms are aching :crying: ) ..used some MDF to fill in th gap at the windshield...i'ts been all glassed over since photo but its now back in the van for a few days (damn work :evil: ) ..it'll come back out later in the week and get filled...trying to incorporate the cup holders and tidy things up a bit before she finally is ready for painting.. :wave: ..for now..
Attachments
Photo0031.jpg
G Mc
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby G Mc » January 26th 2011, 9:47pm

Well i've finished the dash..overall pretty pleased with the end result...I managed to make the cupholders and storage bin fit too..which was a bonus and finishes off the lower part well i think.. 8-)
Attachments
dash 10.jpg
dash 10.jpg (129.68 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
G Mc
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 94 Van Guy » January 26th 2011, 10:02pm

That's a nice lookin' dash. I've been watching and the end result is beyond words.
Thanks for sharing your work,

Keith
'91 Chevy G30 Bus 39.3K Miles

Retired
Safari
87 Safari, 91 Astro
86 Astro, 85 Astro
88 Astro, 92 Astro
89 Astro, 88 Astro

94 Van Guy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Keith
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: G30 Bus

Postby Leeann_93 » January 26th 2011, 11:31pm

That's a heckuva job - looks like it came from the factory that way!
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby alexalexanders » January 27th 2011, 4:52am

Thats an awesome job on the dash!
ImageImage
2000 GMC Safari SLE
alexalexanders
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: alexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 80
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3 Vortec

Postby Phantom » January 27th 2011, 5:53am

Great work on the dash ,, one question , how do you get the engine cover off?
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby G Mc » January 27th 2011, 10:23am

Phantom wrote:Great work on the dash ,, one question , how do you get the engine cover off?

DOH...... :confused: ...

Just kiddin...you'll see from the pic that i've had to cut the cover all the way around just where the dash center finishes, so when i remove the cup holder/bin i can access the bolts ...the alloy tape is there to stop drafts/fumes....
Attachments
Photo0048.jpg
G Mc
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby tedanderson » January 27th 2011, 2:24pm

G Mc wrote:Just need to work out how to remove the "dog house" without having to remove the whole dash...... :o

You could probably put a horizontal cut through it and hinge it together. So when you unclip the bottom half, you can lift it up giving you enough clearance to slide down the top half.
tedanderson
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby Phantom » January 27th 2011, 3:50pm

G Mc wrote:
Phantom wrote:Great work on the dash ,, one question , how do you get the engine cover off?

DOH...... :confused: ...
Just kiddin...you'll see from the pic that i've had to cut the cover all the way around just where the dash center finishes, so when i remove the cup holder/bin i can access the bolts ...the alloy tape is there to stop drafts/fumes....

Novel approach , I'm sure there is some sort of rubber seal /weatherstripping that can be used there to seal out noise/fumes , I have used duct tape on some things and have seen that after time and it ages when tried to remove it deteriorates and leaves residue and dries out requiring adhesive removal , nice job on the dash
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby G Mc » January 27th 2011, 4:37pm

Yeah i'll be lookin into getting some sort of "H" shaped rubber seal that i will stick to the top section ...the hinge idea is a good idea, but might be a bit of a struggle trying to fit it all back in especially when the seat is back in....i'm banking on NEVER having to take the cover off...... :D
G Mc
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby g0t0pless » April 26th 2011, 4:17am

Can the original poster please fix the picture links? I am very curious how this turned out. Thanks!
g0t0pless
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: g0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA):

Postby scott936 » April 26th 2011, 1:23pm

g0t0pless wrote:Can the original poster please fix the picture links? I am very curious how this turned out. Thanks!

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Overhead console from 92 S 10
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: scott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2 WD Cargo