My presumably disastrous interior refresh

My presumably disastrous interior refresh

Postby Tremelune [OP] » September 25th 2016, 8:52pm

Bought me a 2005 Astro and it's a keeper. The interior is mostly fine with some scuffs and what not, but there is a smell. I believe it is coming from the floor carpet, which has received the worst of the wear. I'm going to pull it up, make sure the bare floor underneath is clean, then install lots of sound deadening and a new carpet.

I am finding it extremely difficult to remove the carpet, as the trim screws are rusted and full of muck and sand, such that it has proven nearly impossible for a good screwdriver to find purchase on the screw heads. My screw extraction attempts proved somewhat fruitless as well, so I wound up ripping the plastic trim piece out in the hopes of getting some locking pliers on them.

I'll spare you the cursing. Question: Where can I buy the trim screws that hold the carpet in online? They're not standard screws, and few of them are in good enough shape to go back into the car. The places I've found only had larger parts and wear items, and the prices did seem crazy. Is there a comprehensive fiche I can peruse for part numbers?

Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Tremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):

Re: My presumably disastrous interior refresh

Postby HotWire » September 26th 2016, 12:00am

They are just sheet metal screw with a steel standoff under the plastic so it's not crushed. i replaces all my trim screw with Stainless Steel self-drilling sheetmetal screws. Just don't tighten the crap out of them and you'll be fine.
Attachments
IMG_4645.JPG
HotWire
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby sixsix » September 26th 2016, 1:11am

I hit up Lowes for several Diameters - close and one size larger - several lengths and also purchased a variety pack of Stainless Hardware - countersunk and otherwise in those sizes.

I was able to get ALL OF THEM out using "Mystery Miracle Oil", 6 different Phillips drivers, lock-ease, pb blaster, hammers, impacts, etc, etc, etc.
We are also very lucky - WE HAVE NO interior leaks.
Just the usual spilled drinks, windows left open and the beach action. Still finding Sand from 15 years ago.

Van has also been garaged most of it's life... also very Lucky.

That piece that was destroyed s/b easy enough to get a hold of at the JY.

:sleep:

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Leeann_93 » September 26th 2016, 10:11pm

They're Posi-Driv, not Phillips. That's problem #1. Problem #2 is, if the carpet has ever gotten wet, they're rusty. Problem #3 is they were overtightened at the factory.

In short, they suck.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Tremelune [OP] » September 27th 2016, 3:15am

Wait, Posidriv?? I swear I checked for the marks...Bah, they were all too damaged.

I've gotten most of them out with the same symphony of chemicals and machinery...PB Blaster, impact driver, fresh bits, clawhammer...

I don't quite have the carpet out, but from what I've seen, the entire pad underneath is soaking wet. The floor underneath is clean paint. I'm aware of no leaks, but there must be something...

I'll get some stainless screws as a last resort, but it would be nice if I could get the real parts. I think I'll also need some rubber/adhesive strips for under the trim.
Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Years of Membership: Tremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full yearsTremelune has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby BuddyHuggs » September 27th 2016, 4:08am

Find your leak first! I assume it's a bad door seal somewhere, but could also be the rear AC. Check all your door seals.
BuddyHuggs
Years of Membership: BuddyHuggs has been a member for 5 full yearsBuddyHuggs has been a member for 5 full yearsBuddyHuggs has been a member for 5 full yearsBuddyHuggs has been a member for 5 full yearsBuddyHuggs has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: AWD SLT

Postby sixsix » September 27th 2016, 1:20pm

Leeann_93 wrote:They're Posi-Driv, not Phillips. That's problem #1. Problem #2 is, if the carpet has ever gotten wet, they're rusty. Problem #3 is they were overtightened at the factory.

In short, they suck.

From the "Never too old to Learn Something New" School.
All these years - never heard of them - "Posi-Driv". But that now explains how somehow I got this certain bit or screwdriver that "seemed" to work better than any other.

Thanks again, Leeann & Google :poke: . I'm off to check out my bit and screwdriver ends with a mag'g. glass. Look for "PZs" - Do some separating.
Uh,oh... may have to buy some new bits n' stuff.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby Leeann_93 » September 27th 2016, 9:47pm

I got lucky - they're in a set my husband gave me years ago.

I was cussing at the damned things in the '99 years ago...and pulled out the FSM to find out they were PZ, not PH. Well, heck.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby WimpTech » September 27th 2016, 10:11pm

....never even heard of 'em. I'm with Mike, never too old to learn something new! Thx LeeAnn!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby Tremelune [OP] » October 3rd 2016, 1:36am

Progress? Here's a quick frustrated shot after finally wrestling the carpet and soaked pad out of this thing. It seems like I need to remove the front heater core to get that last bit of carpet out, but I just cut it. Bah. Kinda wish I'd taken the shot before throwing the seat back in, but I'm not exactly blazing trails with the work I'm doing here...

I was happy to find a mostly clean floor. No visible rust, though possibly some bubbling from where rust has begun underneath the car. I plan to spray the whole underside with Fluid Film in the next few weeks, so hopefully the rust will stay in its minimal state going forward.

On to cleanup and sound deadening...My search also begins for a pair of bench seats that fold all the way down in place of my LT seats.

Did these things ever come with black interiors? I would pay good money for a complete setup. I'm contemplating vinyl dye, but I fear any lingering smell, and I don't think I want to take apart the entire interior just to change the color.
Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio » October 3rd 2016, 3:15am

I'm contemplating vinyl dye, but I fear any lingering smell, and I don't think I want to take apart the entire interior just to change the color.

The water-born vinyl and leather dyes by Leatherique, Classic Dye Products and Leather World Tech don't have any significant smell... That's what I used and it all came out great.... Been holding up well for a couple years so far.... Water-bonr dyes are what leather is originally dyes with because it doesn't degrade the leather the way solvents do....

No way around it being a boat-load of work, though..... As a possibility, the water-born dyes can be applied with brush or sponge, so it's possible to do many pieces in place, depending on how particular you are.... I took it all out to do mine 'cuz I'm fussy.....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Tremelune [OP] » October 7th 2016, 8:39pm

Anything worth doing while the doghouse is out?

Also, does anyone remember why I started doing this...?
Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » October 7th 2016, 8:53pm

Tremelune wrote:Anything worth doing while the doghouse is out?

Vacuum hoses, visual check of ignition system for condition/arcing, and check that distributor drive gear for play(see sig).

Tremelune wrote:Also, does anyone remember why I started doing this...?

:laughing-rolling:

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Tremelune [OP] » October 8th 2016, 2:34am

CRETTERS!

Man. I thought I smelled a bit of smoke, and I just assumed that some smell had been revealed when I removed the seat covers. Maybe it was these remnants...the smell went away pretty quick. I don't know how I ever would've found this nest if I hadn't happened to have taken this doghouse out...Some scraping and compressed air cleaned it up. My garage has a snap trap in every corner now.

I was happy to see the carpets weren't glued to the doghouse, but dismayed to learn that they were very effectively attached with staples. Pulled the carpet off, cleaned the doghouse, checked the wires and rotor, and put it back on.

Worth noting: the OEM carpets are high-quality. They have grommets for the holes, and are very heavy. The front carpets in particular have a layer of what seems to be mass-loaded vinyl underneath. I probably won't be gaining much noise reduction there. I'm really starting to doubt the $400 full carpet sets on eBay. I wonder if there's a clean OEM set around...Dunno if I want gray, though. Black. Maaaybe red.
Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio » October 8th 2016, 2:58am

If you google around a bit, there are several companies that sell high quality replacement molded carpet sets.... Some of them offer a mass-loaded vinyl type backer as an option.... Another possibility is to buy backer-less needlepunch carpet such as superflex or flexform and glue it to the surface of your existing carpet, using what you have to give it shape and structure, and just adding new pile (and color) on top... It won't wear as hardily, but it's much much cheaper......
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Tremelune [OP] » October 8th 2016, 3:20pm

These guys sound pretty good, and have the mass-loaded option:

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpe ... box_holder

These folks offer vinyl flooring cut to shape, which is compelling in the rear:

https://www.accmats.com/commerce/2005/C ... ing/16574/

Anyone have an experience with one of these companies (or another)?

In my last Astro I bought a cheap leopard carpet from Amazon and just cut around the wheel wells...Pemp.
Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio » October 8th 2016, 5:54pm

I have ordered from Stock Interiors before, and things went fine... I didn't buy molded carpet from them, however their carpet sets are made by ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) which is one of the leading manufacturers of aftermarket molded carpet sets.... In my distant past, I have used ACC carpet sets in other cars, and recall them being good....

YMMV, of course, but that's what I got....
gavio
Alias (AKA):

Postby Tremelune [OP] » October 8th 2016, 11:48pm

I've started the sound deadening layer...I started a thread on a forum dedicated to car audio, as car audio folk seem to know more about sound deadening than most:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/gen ... ening.html

Original Poster [OP]
Tremelune
Alias (AKA):

Postby tedanderson » October 10th 2016, 1:43pm

You might want to also look at replacing or cleaning up the carpeting on your interior panels. That tends to be a place where spills and other mishaps get collected over the years.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby sixsix » October 11th 2016, 12:31am

If not mentioned already...
Possibly running some Aux. Sound, Video and Power Wiring, Cabling and Coax for future Projects and Needs.

Another popular option is opening a Floor Panel Access for future Fuel Pump change. Or access to a future "Underneath Storage Box".

Check any Wiring Grounds that use the floor for good conductivity.

Change all accessible Fastener hardware to Stainless Steel.

Again - if redundant... :blah: - just move along... LOL

Mike

sixsix

Next