Power Seat

Power Seat

Postby 1lowcab [OP] » November 17th 2016, 2:38am

I would like to add a power drivers seat to my 03, my question is what do I need to look for?
I've read that all I need is the power base and that the manual seat I have now will bolt to it, correct?

What years can I get the base from? Are they all the same as how they bolt to the floor (I don't want to make any new holes) I imagine that all the power bases are in conversion vans.

Thanks for any and all responses!
Original Poster [OP]
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • bench seat with seat with shoulder belts
    by simsghost » February 10th 2021, 2:22am in Interior
    7 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    February 14th 2021, 4:58pm
  • Power Seat Motor
    by OldSchoolNoe » December 24th 2020, 1:39am in Interior
    2 Replies
    Last post by gavio View the latest post
    December 24th 2020, 3:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 5th 2021, 1:46pm

Re: Power Seat

Postby gavio » November 17th 2016, 5:30am

Yes, you just need the base, along with the plastic trim pieces that attach to it - they hold the switch.... The base is the same for all Astros, but the trim is different from 95 and earlier vs 96 and later.... Also on the earlier ones, the switch is on the outboard side of the base rather than the inboard side as on later models.... That said, as far as I know, you could use the older base, it's just different is all....

You are actually less likely to find one in a conversion van, as most of those were built on cargo vans, and did not have factory power seats.... The top trim level passenger vans (LT and SLT models) all had power driver's seat as standard, but the power seat was available in other trim levels, too... You can use the base from a passenger side power seat, but the switch will be on the other side (if that makes sense)...

While you are at it, pull the power wire with it's plugs from the donor van, as it will make installation in your van a snap....

Happy hunting...
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby gavio » November 17th 2016, 6:44am

Correction to above info, using the base from a passenger seat on the driver's side isn't totally straightforward as the trim is shaped differently - there's an indentation on the inboard side to provide clearance for the seat belt buckle....

Also, conversion vans that have aftermarket seats do not use a factory seat base - the bolt pattern on aftermarket seats is different, so even if you find one with power, it won't fit factory seats....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby 1lowcab [OP] » November 17th 2016, 6:47pm

Awesome, thanks for the info. Now on to find a power seat base!

Where does the power wire run too, from the seat too?
Original Poster [OP]
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » November 17th 2016, 8:25pm

Under the carpet to the accessory fuse panel under driver's dash. It's orange & black wiring.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD