Cargo Van Carpet/Sound Deadning

Cargo Van Carpet/Sound Deadning

Postby modlite [OP] » June 28th 2008, 12:56am

I'm planning on putting carpet into the back of my 92 Cargo Astro Van and I was looking for some advice on how to do it. I'm planning on buying this carpet with mass backing on it that's supposed to be the equivalent to the OEM stuff. I was wondering what you recommended for this application as far as sound deadening and how to do it. Should I just lay down the sound deadening then the carpet or should i maybe lay down sound deadening then wood on top of it or what do you guys think?

Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
modlite
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: modlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Adding passenger seats to a cargo van
    by VANDAYUM » January 17th 2021, 1:52am in Interior
    8 Replies
    Last post by VANDAYUM View the latest post
    January 18th 2021, 5:06pm
  • Astro cargo wall liners
    by hereticsdetroit » November 5th 2020, 3:25pm in Interior
    9 Replies
    Last post by hereticsdetroit View the latest post
    November 12th 2020, 11:57pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 4:52am

Re: Cargo Van Carpet/Sound Deadning

Postby meetthespeakers » June 29th 2008, 8:08pm

I just redid my carpet in all black. I used A.C.C carpets and the cargo section fit great. It comes pre-cut in the places you need, but there still is some trimming involved in certain parts. It also comes with precut sound deadening. I also used Fat Mat Sound deadener (Like Dynamat Extreme) on the floors and sides. The actual carpet though is nice, I want to say its a little thicker than the stock OEM stuff. Overall I am happy that I did it, but I wouldn't want to do that job again.
1998 Astro, 1993 Astro, 1976 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1975 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor
meetthespeakers
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: meetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Bagged

Postby modlite [OP] » June 30th 2008, 4:02am

Curious to know how much did that carpet cost you? I was looking at Stockinteriors.com and they had carpet with some deadner for 180 for the cargo. I was also planning on putting some fat mat in their to help quiet it down.

I'm 16 years old and this was my dad's old work van and he rebuilt the motor front end etc. so i'm not looking to spend alot just get it in line so i can stop borrowing my dad's truck for dates lol.

How do you recommend putting the deadner in? Do i just need to take my time to form it into all the little grooves on the floor? Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
modlite
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: modlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full yearsmodlite has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby meetthespeakers » June 30th 2008, 2:10pm

modlite wrote:Curious to know how much did that carpet cost you?

How do you recommend putting the deadner in? Do i just need to take my time to form it into all the little grooves on the floor? Thanks

I spent a little over $250 for the carpet. I shopped around for a while and this was what I found that was closet to stock. Just take your time trimming the extra stuff off (especially around the drivers and passenger foot area over the wheel-wells). This is the carpet I got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-92-93-94-Chevy-Astro-Van-Black-Carpet-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33697QQihZ016QQitemZ260249137492QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

The fatmat I bought 2 years ago and I was waiting to finally install it, but if you buy certain kits it includes everything you need, knife, and a roller to get it in the grooves. I really liked there extreme Fatmat. I've tried other brands, and for the price and ease of installation you can't go wrong. :afro:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-FatMat-Xtreme-Car-Sound-Deadener-Dynamat-Roller_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33697QQihZ024QQitemZ370062302186QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
1998 Astro, 1993 Astro, 1976 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1975 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor
meetthespeakers
Years of Membership: meetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby modlite [OP] » June 30th 2008, 11:03pm

Alright I think i'll definately go with fat mat then.

The only thing i'm not sure about is the installation process in my cargo van. Is it better to form the Fatmat into all the grooves or just go straight over them? Also after putting the fat mat down should i put some wood over it or just the carpet straight over?

Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
modlite
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby modlite [OP] » June 30th 2008, 11:26pm

Another question. How much FatMat do you think i'll need just to do from behind the seats back (just the floor)
Original Poster [OP]
modlite
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby meetthespeakers » July 1st 2008, 1:25am

You will want to form it into the grooves. Basically peel back a little of the paper on the mat, and start on one side and roll it into the grooves and pull back the paper as you go. The process is really not bad. Oh and you might want to to wear some latex gloves, or something to cover your hands. Mine got BLACK. 100 sq ft should do the cargo section and possibly a little more. I did the sides, wheel-wells, gas-well, doors, etc and it took maybe 150 sq ft if I remember correctly. Then you would just put your new sound insulation and carpet on top of it. :afro:
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):

Postby modlite [OP] » July 1st 2008, 3:52am

Alright i'm getting this down! haha. So what do you mean put your sound insulation on top of it? You mean just a sound absorber type thing?
Original Poster [OP]
modlite
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby meetthespeakers » July 1st 2008, 1:12pm

It comes with the carpet I mentioned above. It is just the backing on the carpet. You'll figure it out. :upside: And I wasn't trying to convince you on the carpet I got, it's as we have all learned you get what you pay for so often. But sometimes you get what you can afford/or is good enough. I just hate doing stuff twice, that's why I recommend the stuff.
meetthespeakers
Alias (AKA):