boring safety subject

boring safety subject

Postby nonhog [OP] » December 31st 2016, 12:34am

On a really old thread, the front end crash discussion, only bentwanderer mentioned the seat moving violently forward.

" Re: Safari/Astro = Deathtraps?

Postby bentwanderer » December 8th 2011, 8:55pm

Man after watching that video of the crash test about 10 times, i am concerned about how that seat just snapped off the floor like it wasn't even screwed down. Gonna hafta take a look at mine see if i can't beef that up a bit...... :swerve:"

this thread.... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10555&hilit=crash+test&start=20

I am NOT interested in reliving the question "Are these vans safe?" I am interested in the seat bracket and possibly modifying it. From watching the video I think the crumple area is o.k. but either the floor or the seat is not performing well.

Wish I could see the interior(seat brackets) after that crash.
I'm not afraid of my van just always on the lookout to improve things.

Anyone besides me and "bentwanderer" discuss this? Sorry if I missed it.
Recovering hoarder
My Slow build..... viewtopic.php?f=127&t=107426
Original Poster [OP]
nonhog
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: nonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Re: boring safety subject

Postby chevymaher » December 31st 2016, 1:02am

Mine has put 2 cars on flatbeds. Tore the trans apart and tore the wheel completely off of a Hyundai. My seat is just fine. Drove it home. Rear seatbelt doesn't catch like it used to tho. Wonder if that is related? I think the secret is don't hit a brick wall with the vans secret foldy place.

Just remember it don't really matter how the crash rating system rates them. The interior can be perfect. When you a mere human comes to a dead stop that fast your still dead no matter how the car looks.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby a1959birdman » December 31st 2016, 1:11am

I didn't see the video, but my interest is in the fact I'm a tall guy and was thinking of relocating the drivers seat mounting a few inches rearward in order to give myself more leg room. My 95 Astro is a bit cramped for my legs and the pedal area is smaller than I'm used to. I've done seat mounts on my El Camino and made sure the seats were reinforced under the floor where I mounted them and haven't had any issues to date. I would say as long as the mounting bolts are secure and the floor doesn't show any cancerous rust, factory mounts should be fine. I haven't looked but I know there are aftermarket seat mount braces for many older Chevy cars one could buy, has anyone seen anything like that for Astros?
[b]1995 Astro, 2WD-CL model made in Baltimore, MD., 1/2 ton eng type W build post: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=109617
a1959birdman
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: a1959birdman has been a member for 4 full yearsa1959birdman has been a member for 4 full yearsa1959birdman has been a member for 4 full yearsa1959birdman has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): The Birdman
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: CL model

Postby Coaster » December 31st 2016, 1:11am

yeah i got hit really hard in my 69 pickup a while back, i blacked out. other car was GONE, i had a dented fender. turns out i also had a life changing concussion.

i still have the truck. i'm still different now.
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 114
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

Postby chevymaher » December 31st 2016, 1:21am

Coaster wrote:yeah i got hit really hard in my 69 pickup a while back, i blacked out. other car was GONE, i had a dented fender. turns out i also had a life changing concussion.

Yep me to. I got seat belt damage. Like getting hit in the chest with a bat.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby a1959birdman » December 31st 2016, 1:37am

chevymaher wrote:
Coaster wrote:yeah i got hit really hard in my 69 pickup a while back, i blacked out. other car was GONE, i had a dented fender. turns out i also had a life changing concussion.

Yep me to. I got seat belt damage. Like getting hit in the chest with a bat.

Maybe I'm just a lucky guy, I haven't had a life changing crash just a few bumper thumpers, usually someone else's fault.
Knock wood! :banghead:
[b]1995 Astro, 2WD-CL model made in Baltimore, MD., 1/2 ton eng type W build post: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=109617
a1959birdman
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: a1959birdman has been a member for 4 full yearsa1959birdman has been a member for 4 full yearsa1959birdman has been a member for 4 full yearsa1959birdman has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): The Birdman
Extra Info: CL model

Postby dramey » December 31st 2016, 1:48am

I had some friends that went up to northern Michigan to party in the 70's. They were all drunk and the driver went to sleep at the wheel and hit a bridge abutment going about 80mph on the way home. No one had their seat belt on except one person in the back. The three that didn't have their seat belt on didn't have much more than a few scratches and bruises. The one that had the seat belt on, the crash ripped his aorta from the impact and he died instantly.
dramey
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby chevymaher » December 31st 2016, 3:54am

dramey wrote:I had some friends that went up to northern Michigan to party in the 70's. They were all drunk and the driver went to sleep at the wheel and hit a bridge abutment going about 80mph on the way home. No one had their seat belt on except one person in the back. The three that didn't have their seat belt on didn't have much more than a few scratches and bruises. The one that had the seat belt on, the crash ripped his aorta from the impact and he died instantly.

I hear you. I been in a bunch of crashes as a passenger before seat belt laws. I been hit 3X with them on. I never got hurt unless I got a belt on. Mom is a nurse and I hear the tales. But I can only go by what I have experienced. Keeping you from being ejected and run over is the only positive point I can see about them. Face in the windshield maybe. But I had a seat belt on and had my face shoved through the windshield in calif. Separated my shoulder. Cop was at fault there. Tried to leave the scene but his wheel fell off.
The other thing is the people getting killed with air bags. Hit a curb air bag goes off dead broken neck.
I know it is wishful thinking but not crashing is the only thing to do. Safety devices are questionable at best.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Astrofarian » December 31st 2016, 3:58am

dramey wrote:I had some friends that went up to northern Michigan to party in the 70's. They were all drunk and the driver went to sleep at the wheel and hit a bridge abutment going about 80mph on the way home. No one had their seat belt on except one person in the back. The three that didn't have their seat belt on didn't have much more than a few scratches and bruises. The one that had the seat belt on, the crash ripped his aorta from the impact and he died instantly.

Yeah, the human body can only stand so much force. But I'll still take my chances on wearing the harness; WAY safer if you stay INSIDE the vehicle in a crash. At least until that Jet-Pack/Ejector Seat/ Sunroof kit gets here from J.C. Whitney!
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Lumpy » January 1st 2017, 6:07pm

I know a guy that drives an open top Jeep CJ.

He doesn't want to be injured by the seat belts if he gets into a crash so he drives with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on his seat belt buckle. "If I'm about to crash, I'm releasing that sucker so I'll be thrown clear".

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » January 1st 2017, 7:03pm

Astrofarian wrote:Yeah, the human body can only stand so much force. But I'll still take my chances on wearing the harness; WAY safer if you stay INSIDE the vehicle in a crash.

I agree with that, better off wearing it than not, of course there are always going to be those few oddball incidents.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches