Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Instrument cluster failure.

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  WimpTech 
#1 ·
The gas gauge, temp gauge, speedometer, Transmission display and odometer have ceased working on my 2001 Astro. Oil pressure and Volts work. The ScanGauge shows that the temp and speedometer work from the sensors. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. The gauges have been slow to start for the last two days and today did not move at all. Is this like other GM clusters and prone to failure? My daughter's 2003 Cavalier and the neighbor's Olds also had this problem but I didn't know if Astros also have this issue. 184,000 miles on it.

#2 ·
I've seen stepper motor kits available on Amazon and Ebay for GM instrument cluster repairs and then repair service from places like http://www.bobsspeedometer.com

I guess if I knew it were a stepper motor issue, I'd consider trying the repair myself but it seems like you may have more going on to try and diagnose. Adding your van's year in your profile would help too as there are differences throughout the years.

#8 ·
"When it warms up" might very well be worth investigating. I heard Click and Clack the car guys talking about that once and it seemed kind of difficult to believe. They were talking about an ignition cylinder lock switch that was intermittant. Their theory - high ambient temps in the car cause the plastic around things to swell/expand/change shape. If the contacts in some gizmo are pretty near separated anyway, the expanded plastic stuff might pull those contacts apart enough to fail the contact or make it intermittant.

I can sure see how the bathtub contacts in my instrument cluster would fit that description to a T. No kind of captive contact or interlock. Just two metallic bits of film pushed against each other.

So now, any time some electrical problem seems high ambient temp related, I look toward that.

And don't listen to my brudda.

Lump

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.