1996 Safari Dash Issue

1996 Safari Dash Issue

Postby banner1124 [OP] » July 14th 2011, 1:08am

Hello all. I have a 1996 GMC Safari and have a question. The dashboard upholstry seems to be separating from the dash itself around the instrument cluster area. Is this common for these particular vehicles? Also, is there a way to easily fix it?
Original Poster [OP]
banner1124
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: banner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • painted dash
    by vangogo » September 9th 2020, 4:18am in Interior
    5 Replies
    Last post by vangogo View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 3:49am
  • Cracked dash removal and replacement?
    by Jakob1994 » September 16th 2020, 8:35pm in Interior
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    January 11th 2021, 1:55pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 6th 2021, 10:16am

Re: 1996 Safari Dash Issue

Postby 93xtmoney » July 15th 2011, 12:24am

Do you have any pics? Might be able to help ya better.
93 Safari XT awd slt with the GMC touring package a.k.a. Money Machine
5000K foglights, type R headlights 7000K, clear corners, APC black euro tail lights,
93xtmoney
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Xt AWD

Postby Phantom » July 15th 2011, 2:21am

banner1124 wrote:Hello all. I have a 1996 GMC Safari and have a question. The dashboard upholstery seems to be separating from the dash itself around the instrument cluster area. Is this common for these particular vehicles? Also, is there a way to easily fix it?

When I think of upholstery, I think of fabric of some kind , and I don't recall ever seeing fabric around the instrument cluster area. The bezel that covers the area is held in with clips on the back of the bezel and if they get bent or broken can allow the bezel to come loose , if they are bent they can be straightened , if broken the bezel needs replaced, it is easy to replace and can be found on any salvage yard van 96 through 2005 , and yes a pic would definitely help ID The problem
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby banner1124 [OP] » July 16th 2011, 9:42am

Sorry, I guess upholstery was not the proper word. It's more like the vinyl part of the dash is separating from the metal part. I'm attaching a pic that makes it clearer

dashpic.JPG
dashpic.JPG (50.83 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Original Poster [OP]
banner1124
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: banner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » July 16th 2011, 1:53pm

There is a Super glue like product for vinyl and use of a clamp will bond the vinyl to the metal lip again ,,there is a better product I had found , but I cannot recall the name of it at the moment , But I notice that the dash bezel has pulled away from its mounting point , After you bond the vinyl to the metal again , find out why the bezel does not stay in place , when it is mounted securely in place it should cover up that lip and not show it .
If you are careful you can use the one of these products to bond the viynl to metal

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/epoxies.shtml

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/construc ... ives.shtml
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby banner1124 [OP] » July 16th 2011, 4:30pm

Actually although it doesn't look it from the pic the dash bezel is securely in place. The vinyl has separated so much that it just doesn't look that way. If I push the vinyl down against the metal as it should everything looks perfect. I'll look into some products to glue it back down. Not sure what to do for a clamp though because I'll need to clamp or weight it down in a few places. Any suggestions?
Original Poster [OP]
banner1124
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » July 16th 2011, 9:52pm

banner1124 wrote:Actually although it doesn't look it from the pic the dash bezel is securely in place. The vinyl has separated so much that it just doesn't look that way. If I push the vinyl down against the metal as it should everything looks perfect. I'll look into some products to glue it back down. Not sure what to do for a clamp though because I'll need to clamp or weight it down in a few places. Any suggestions?

Gorilla glue pretty mean stuff.If it will hold the sole of a shoe I am sure it would hold that. I would test it on metal to see if it sticks but anything porus at all it wont come off.To hold dash down during drying stuff a ton of towels between windshield and dash.That would be my best suggestion,Experiment with a piece of metal and a piece of dash material first to make sure.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby heyitsjimi » May 31st 2017, 4:37am

banner1124,
Mine looks just like yours. I tried JB Weld KwikWeld. Total failure. Clamping is a total pain, and didn't work very well. If I figure anything out, I'll let you know. Please let me know if you find something that works.
heyitsjimi
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: heyitsjimi has been a member for 3 full yearsheyitsjimi has been a member for 3 full yearsheyitsjimi has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Jimi
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS

Postby dramey » May 31st 2017, 5:32am

I doubt banner1124 will read your post. The last time banner1124 was on this forum was August 31, 2011.
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby GMtechlineESI » May 31st 2017, 5:43am

He could come back online at any minute.

LOL

2005 AWD Conversion
GMtechlineESI
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: GMtechlineESI has been a member for 4 full yearsGMtechlineESI has been a member for 4 full yearsGMtechlineESI has been a member for 4 full yearsGMtechlineESI has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA): MastrTech
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: PreviousOwner

Postby Tommiez » June 1st 2017, 6:16pm

I have a 1998 Astro that was lifting up just like that.. I used clear silicone on it, squirted it under it real good then put a piece of wood on the dash and used another to wedge pressure between the windshield area to the dash over night.. was 2 years ago and still in place.. don't think I could get it off if I wanted too now..
I have a Astro and a Safari.. both 98 models.. both the same kinda issues .. the Safari the whole dash was coming unattached..so I pulled it all off.. I went to a junk yard this past weekend and pulled a whole dash pad out of a 2003 model.. in perfect condition.. but was so hard to take apart.. not I dread pulling mine to install this one.. anyhow. if you try the silicone let me know if it works for you.
Tommiez
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Tommiez has been a member for 3 full yearsTommiez has been a member for 3 full yearsTommiez has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA): tommy
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: RWD

Postby dennis7815 » June 11th 2017, 9:24pm

I am in process to restore my 1994 Astro Van and just got the van out of the body shop. My dash is a mess and I need to restore it. Does anyone know of a kit to repair and I can do the repair myself? Or a source for a replacement dash? See photos attached. The body shop did a fine job cutting out the rust and welding in new metal but detail stuff like this I need to resolve myself. Is this your issue as well? see photographs attached.
IMG_1613.JPG
cracked dashboard 94 astro van
5-25-2017 pic 2.JPG
1994 astro van recent photograph
dennis7815
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: dennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: LT EXT 2WD CMFI

Postby Ozarker » July 8th 2017, 11:53am

Sorry, no photo, but on dashes I covered with headliner foam and recovered with vinyl, you can also get foam backed vinyl either one and use 3M adhesive. The foam covers the cracks, if it's real bad as above, I'd cut it out and use thicker foam for a padded dash look.

I have some separation as well, about 6 inches at the top of the arch......I might catch that by recovering the dash.
I don't know how your decor is planned, but for custom jobs you might consider upholstery cord with vinyl in a contrasting color to outline the dash or rope lights on a dimmer, door edge molding might work.....

When I have a problem I try to be creative in fixing it, improve it beyond what it is if it can be made better than original. A problem is often an opportunity. :)
Ozarker
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Ozarker has been a member for 4 full yearsOzarker has been a member for 4 full yearsOzarker has been a member for 4 full yearsOzarker has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Bill
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT AWD