WET FLOOR

WET FLOOR

Postby Jordan [OP] » February 6th 2020, 10:25pm

The floor inside my sliding door is SOAKED on both my vans!!!

It seems worse near the rear right wheel well but it's wet up to the back of the front passenger seat, I've pulled off the trim and nothings wet, the door seals look good and there's no sign of moisture from anywhere above, the slider step well is also dry. I pulled up some of the carpet and pad and the caulk at the seems looks good to, no holes in the floor etc.

HELP ME, its driving me mad and really needs to be fixed. I could care less about the leak in my '98 but my '01 is my baby

:feedback:
Original Poster [OP]
Jordan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Jordan has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Jordan
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: NP233 6 inch lift

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Remove carpet to install floor?
    by tstol » May 27th 2020, 5:57pm in Interior
    5 Replies
    Last post by 90safari View the latest post
    May 31st 2020, 9:59pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 13th 2020, 12:34pm

Re: WET FLOOR

Postby dchan51360 » February 7th 2020, 1:33am

if you search wet carpet, you will probably get more info than you need but in short.

You most likely have a weather strip leak around the barn door or dutch door that is running down the door frame and puddling/pooling just in back of the carpet. It's then probably getting wicked up into the carpet and never drying out.

Fix the weatherstrips, seal the bottom of your trim area around the carpet, and drill, paint/protect for rust, a hole to allow the water to drain out and I suspect your wet carpet will go away.

You will of course need to pull most of the carpet up and get air under it to get it to dry.

DC
dchan51360
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 3 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 3 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby CopperFiremist » February 7th 2020, 2:05am

Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremist
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby Jordan [OP] » February 7th 2020, 5:15am

dchan51360 wrote:if you search wet carpet, you will probably get more info than you need but in short.

You most likely have a weather strip leak around the barn door or dutch door that is running down the door frame and puddling/pooling just in back of the carpet. It's then probably getting wicked up into the carpet and never drying out.

Fix the weatherstrips, seal the bottom of your trim area around the carpet, and drill, paint/protect for rust, a hole to allow the water to drain out and I suspect your wet carpet will go away.

You will of course need to pull most of the carpet up and get air under it to get it to dry.

DC

I wish it was that easy but I don’t think it’s coming from the back since the rear cargo area is bone dry. It’s all inside the slider and those seals look good
Original Poster [OP]
Jordan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby CopperFiremist » February 7th 2020, 5:43am

Post some pictures.
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremist
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby AstroWill » February 7th 2020, 7:40am

Roof rack can leak, side windows can leak as well as the more common door seals.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):

Postby 6door74 » February 7th 2020, 10:19am

Jordan wrote:
dchan51360 wrote:if you search wet carpet, you will probably get more info than you need but in short.

DC

I wish it was that easy but I don’t think it’s coming from the back since the rear cargo area is bone dry. It’s all inside the slider and those seals look good

Post pictures of the area wet or at least the area that gets wet. It might narrow down the possible causes. I just had to hunt a leak causing my headliner and carpet to be wet. In my case it was more than 1 cause but pictures help greatly.
2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 6door74 has been a member for 1 full year
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby Goosecreek » February 7th 2020, 1:03pm

I found door seal leaks by shutting a strip of paper in the door and pulling it out feeling for resistance.

Get inside with say a 2"x8" strip of copier paper ,then shut the door making sure the paper is caught between the door and car, then slowly pulled it out . Do this around the door noting areas that do not have resistance. Then you can decide rather you need to adjust the door replace the seal or look somewhere else.
Goosecreek
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997

Postby Jordan [OP] » February 7th 2020, 8:42pm

CopperFiremist wrote:Post some pictures.

I'll get some pics up this evening after woork
Original Poster [OP]
Jordan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Jordan [OP] » February 8th 2020, 1:34am

Here you go, it’s definitely worse near the rear wheel well and that’s where the water first appeared but the wheel well was dry when I pealed the carpet back, no sign of water there at all judging by the dust. The inside step is also bone dry. Headliner is dry. Everything is fricken dry accept there!
Attachments
D4AAF733-EA0A-4BAF-86ED-2EE1276F237F.jpeg
Original Poster [OP]
Jordan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby 6door74 » February 8th 2020, 7:19am

Jordan wrote:Here you go, it’s definitely worse near the rear wheel well and that’s where the water first appeared but the wheel well was dry when I pealed the carpet back, no sign of water there at all judging by the dust. The inside step is also bone dry. Headliner is dry. Everything is fricken dry accept there!

Is your headliner wet? My floor was wet there as was my headliner. I had leaks from a roof rack butcher job but the biggest problem was the molding above the rear passenger window. Look through my thread below starting on page 2. Right. Now i have some flex seal tape over it and the problem has gone away. My van isn't road ready yet so I'm not worried about the aesthetics right now. I have noticed a small leak in the back which i suspect it from the Dutch door seal. Since my carpet and interior is out, I just leave a towel in the corner by the jack and it catches the water. I'll be ordering the seal set in the post above. Good luck because you'll see in my thread how nasty the carpet can get underneath!

Here's my thread
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=141040
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Roadtrip John » February 8th 2020, 2:56pm

2nd what 6door74 said. My carpet was wet like that. In my case it was obviously the rack. 100340. You might consider pulling that carpet out and drying it. The insulation beneath it is like a sponge and will stay wet forever. At least take that black plastic entry step thing off and check underneath, front doors too. Mine was just starting to rust from clogged drain holes.
Roadtrip John
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995

Postby Jordan [OP] » February 8th 2020, 3:49pm

Unfortunately the headliner is dry. I might just start replacing seals at random
and praying
Original Poster [OP]
Jordan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Onthewater01 » February 8th 2020, 8:16pm

My symptoms were similar, my leak was at the right rear barn door. My van sits slightly higher in the rear, and the water flowed toward the front in the floor grooves under the carpet, so don't assume it's not the barn door seal. Also, If the carpet pad gets matted down into the floor grooves, as it may next to the door, it will absorb all that water coming from the back. My carpet was wet all the way to the back of the front seat, and my rear seat mount recesses would fill up with water on the right side.
Onthewater01

2005 Astro AWD...work in progress
1995 Astro AWD ...gone but not forgotten
1989 Astro RWD....gone and long forgotten!
Onthewater01
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Onthewater01 has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Onthewater01
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby Jordan [OP] » February 9th 2020, 1:19am

Onthewater01 wrote:My symptoms were similar, my leak was at the right rear barn door. My van sits slightly higher in the rear, and the water flowed toward the front in the floor grooves under the carpet, so don't assume it's not the barn door seal. Also, If the carpet pad gets matted down into the floor grooves, as it may next to the door, it will absorb all that water coming from the back. My carpet was wet all the way to the back of the front seat, and my rear seat mount recesses would fill up with water on the right side.

Do you think that could still be the case even though it’s all dry past the middle of the wheel well?
Original Poster [OP]
Jordan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Onthewater01 » February 9th 2020, 7:40pm

Could be, I just wouldnt discount it.
Onthewater01

2005 Astro AWD...work in progress
1995 Astro AWD ...gone but not forgotten
1989 Astro RWD....gone and long forgotten!
Onthewater01
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Onthewater01 has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Onthewater01
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby dchan51360 » February 10th 2020, 4:24am

I would peel the carpet back or pull it completely and store it somewhere where it will dry out completely.

Then throw some towels down in various areas where you think might be suspect. Then track where it gets wet. This would be a troubleshooting thing at this point.

Also you can probably figure out when it gets wet as well. If it's only during rain storms, take it to a car wash and run it through. Be sure to do the "under vehicle cleaning" and make sure it's not coming up through one of the area's under the vehicle. suspect area's can also be the little wells that lock down your back seats.

It could also be coming in through the slider rails on the side of the vehicle, and running down the inside of your van, below the passenger windows, then into the carpet. More testing needs to be done.

DC
dchan51360
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 3 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 3 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999

Postby Jordan [OP] » February 10th 2020, 5:23am

I’m tearing out the carpet and pad next week to prep for sound deadening and a molded vinyl floor, I’ll get a couple cans of baby powder and track it when it’s down to bare metal
Original Poster [OP]
Jordan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby 6door74 » February 12th 2020, 7:59pm

I get a lot of water in this area of the sliding door. Haven't solved it but haven't really tried to yet. I get the wet vac and suck out it then wipe the inside clean

0212201333_HDR-picsay.jpg
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 6door74 » February 12th 2020, 8:02pm

Jordan wrote:I’m tearing out the carpet and pad next week to prep for sound deadening and a molded vinyl floor, I’ll get a couple cans of baby powder and track it when it’s down to bare metal

Keep us updated with pics. I'm still trying to decide what to with my floor since my carpet was trash.
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
2004 GMC Safari AWD
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1974 Pontiac Catalina
6door74
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)