Remove carpet to install floor?

Remove carpet to install floor?

Postby tstol [OP] » May 27th 2020, 5:57pm

Hello everyone, I have an interior question. I want to install a floor in my 2003 GMC Safari: plywood with laminate faux wood on top. Everything I've seen shows people removing the carpeting. I'm a busy person, I've never done removed carpeting, and it looks like a big job. My mechanic also renovates cars. He said it would take him several hours to remove the carpeting, meaning a few hundred dollars. So he asked me the question I had already wondered: is there any reason to remove the carpeting? I know I "can" put a wood floor over the top of the old carpeting, but is there any reason I shouldn't? Is there anybody here who has done this that could give positives and negatives of doing it this way?

Thanks in advance.

TStol
Original Poster [OP]
tstol
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Twisting key slightly to remove from door locks it once more
    by pottsitive » July 19th 2020, 4:48pm in Interior
    2 Replies
    Last post by pottsitive View the latest post
    July 19th 2020, 8:26pm
  • Swivel seat install
    by Astrocurious » April 6th 2020, 6:24pm in Interior
    4 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    April 18th 2020, 4:26pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 13th 2020, 12:36pm

Re: Remove carpet to install floor?

Postby Rod's Trucks » May 28th 2020, 5:59am

My concern would be the carpet will hold moisture if it gets wet (and IMHO, it will eventually). Many of us have had to deal with leaky rear door weatherstripping. So wet carpet is a possible significant concern. And if it wet and gets moldy, you will be pulling up the wood floor to get rid or it.
It really is not that hard to remove the carpet, but the padding might be a bit of trouble if it has stuck down to the floor.
When my carpet got wet, I was able to just roll it up toward the front seats, put a few large blocks of wood under it, lay it back out more or less flat, but off the floor ( on the wood blocks). I set a fan in there for a few days and it dried out just fine.
The carpet will provide some sound deadening, so that might be a consideration if you do remove it, but I think some rigid foam would work pretty well in it's place, or even put in sound deadening mats ( like used in door panels and trimmed to fit ) under the plywood.
Just my $.03 worth.
Rod
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » May 29th 2020, 3:53am

Not to mention that the carpet could have been wet in the past and the floor below could already have rust on it that you need to treat before it gets worse.

Much better to get it up, clean and treat then install insulation, underlayment and the flooring.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby tstol [OP] » May 29th 2020, 12:56pm

Thank you both for your reply. Makes sense. I'll just take it an hour at a time when I have the time and do it slowly and correctly.
Original Poster [OP]
tstol
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby AstrofarianAstrofarian is online! » May 29th 2020, 1:56pm

Are you planning on SAVING the carpet, for some reason? If not, then why not just grab a utility knife and blades and remove it the FAST way?
Just a thought....
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
AstrofarianAstrofarian is online!
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby 90safari » May 31st 2020, 9:59pm

Leeann_93 wrote:Not to mention that the carpet could have been wet in the past and the floor below could already have rust on it that you need to treat before it gets worse.

Much better to get it up, clean and treat then install insulation, underlayment and the flooring.

^^This.^^
I ran into that years ago, as I'd find damp carpet while crawling around inside on my knees. I pulled the carpet out, then the factory sound deadener which was still soaked and holding water. I hung the carpet up on a clothes line to dry out, and buzzed the floor before putting some primer and paint on it to seal it off. I've since just tossed the carpet in, but it still needs the seals replaced (they're 30+ years old now).
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro