Rear Door Jammed Shut, Tried Everything - 1999 Chevy Astro

Rear Door Jammed Shut, Tried Everything - 1999 Chevy Astro

Postby mysticnoodle [OP] » September 26th 2020, 3:03pm

Rear cargo door stuck closed. I removed the interior door paneling and pulled the rods in opposite directions (pulling the rod farthest from me upwards to unlock, pulling the rod closest to me down to open door) and the door won't budge. The rods are both attached properly as far as I can tell. This technique has worked for me in the past with this vehicle, but the other day it didn't work and the door is now stuck closed.

Looking through the rear door crack from outside the vehicle, I can just barely see a latch hooked around a bolt. I assume that latch is supposed to pull off the bolt when I pull down on the rods, but it's stuck for some reason? I asked someone to pull down on the rods from inside while I watched from the outside, and it didn't look like that hook latch was moving at all.

Any ideas? Is there a way to manually pry that latch off the bolt with the doors closed? How can I force the door if the rods aren't working?

Thanks in advance, this has been driving me mad.
Original Poster [OP]
mysticnoodle
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Chevy Astro different dashboard models and compatibilty
    by Weirdo_64 » January 6th 2021, 11:46pm in Interior
    4 Replies
    Last post by icebrrg3rd View the latest post
    January 7th 2021, 11:23pm
  • Rear door internal release
    by nwmod39 » November 25th 2020, 4:46am in Interior
    18 Replies
    Last post by nwmod39 View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 10:33pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 23rd 2021, 6:43am

Re: Rear Door Jammed Shut, Tried Everything - 1999 Chevy Ast

Postby dchan51360 » September 27th 2020, 5:19am

I don't completely recall how that door worked specifically but IIRC, the door has to be fully latched for the rods to do their magic. A door that's only partially latched may be locked onto the bolt but pulling the rods will not release the latches.

I think you may have something stuck or wedged in the door that is keeping the door from fully closing and "resetting " the latches to the location that the spring would be "pulled" and released by pulling on those rods. I would check the top and bottom of the door and maybe even push hard as if closing the door and see if you hear a "click" then, try pulling on those rod and see if the door releases.
Last edited by dchan51360 on September 27th 2020, 5:21am, edited 1 time in total.
dchan51360
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby dchan51360 » September 27th 2020, 5:21am

the fact that you can "see" the latches through the crack between the door and body sort of confirm this possibility. If the doors are fully shut, you should not be able to see in there. (unless your doors are really out of alignment)
dchan51360
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby dcsleeper » September 27th 2020, 11:47am

on my cargo, the rod keeps slipping out of the arm so the outside handle wouldn't open the door.
Which led me to inside, where the panel was already removed.
After lots of cussing and trying to figure out how it worked, I reached up and pulled down on the lever that IS the latch. It is above the large panel opening. IIRC
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

RandomInternetUser wrote:I blame stupidly-written 1970s and 1980s TV shows.
dcsleeper
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dcsleeper has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby Rinny » September 27th 2020, 5:09pm

My rear hatch will not open unless there is power to it. Do not know if cargo doors are the same? Is it locked?
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby sixsix » September 27th 2020, 6:16pm

mysticnoodle wrote:Rear cargo door stuck closed ...

Would it be too much trouble to maybe help define what you mean by "cargo door" ?
Do you have 2 lg. doors in back or a Hatch w/ 2 sm. doors. The 'Hatch' model doors are also referred to as "Dutch Doors".

Always wondered why they called them that when it was really a regular door cut in half to open the top while keeping the bottom closed. Probably invented by the Lithuanians in the 13th century ( Boris Duchy ).

Probably also why they wore those shoes - so they could just dive in the house over the bottom door and leave the wood shoes out there. And what kind of wood did they use...? Maybe it was ash, like the baseball bats. Covered in tar, they would ... well, I digress

Welcome to the Forum - Here's to your 2nd post - whether it is forthcoming ( or not ).

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K