Adding passenger seats to a cargo van

Adding passenger seats to a cargo van

Postby VANDAYUM [OP] » January 17th 2021, 1:52am

Hey y'all.

Searched around a bit but didn't get many answers. My step son is looking to add passenger seats to the back of his cargo astro van. Other than seats, seat belts, and attaching them to the floor does the title need to be changed? Does it need some crazy expensive architect to sign off?

Thanks in advanced for the advice.

Kam
The Hurryer I go the behinder I get.
Original Poster [OP]
VANDAYUM
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Kameron
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2003 cargo V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Adding passenger seats to a cargo van

Postby markmitch » January 17th 2021, 1:55am

It is illegal in some states. I believe it has to done according to federal safety standards to be legal. Not sure how they would ever know though since I did vehicle safety inspections in Maine years ago and they never had us look at seating in any way other than seat belts.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby SheldonYoung » January 17th 2021, 1:59am

Would definitely help if Everyone knew what State you are in.
I know here in Massachusetts, one of the strictest States for Vehicle Inspections, I've never had or heard of anyone getting into trouble for doing so.
'97 Astro (AstroSurf)
'05 Astro
'00 Astro (Woodie)
'01 Safari (Surfari)
SheldonYoung
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: SheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full yearsSheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): FrankenRodz
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby AstroWill » January 17th 2021, 2:03am

Probably depends on where you live.
I know that different standards applied at different times, how would they know when the seats were installed?
Lots, virtually all conversion vans start out as cargo vans.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby VANDAYUM [OP] » January 17th 2021, 9:47pm

Thank you everyone for the advice I'm so sorry, I didn't even think to include the fact that I'm in Ontario Canada
Original Poster [OP]
VANDAYUM
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Big_kid » January 18th 2021, 2:45pm

My conversion van has a steel plate running across the floor from the slider to the driver side. It has/had studs in it to mount the middle seats. A previous owner reconfigured the cargo area before I bought it, I put it back to basically original configuration using the front seats I had taken out of my wife's min-van. I used whichever studs I could use to mount the seat bases, I cut off the ones I couldn't. I then drilled and bolted the seats down with backing plates underneath, using grade 8 hardware. That makes 3 layers of steel spreading the load, counting the extra mounting of the upfitter's floor plate. The lap belt and receivers are part of the seat base, the shoulder belts mount in the original position using unmodified factory seat belt parts. I think there's pics in my gallery.

95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby VANDAYUM [OP] » January 18th 2021, 4:01pm

Big_kid wrote:My conversion van has a steel plate running across the floor from the slider to the driver side. It has/had studs in it to mount the middle seats. A previous owner reconfigured the cargo area before I bought it, I put it back to basically original configuration using the front seats I had taken out of my wife's min-van. I used whichever studs I could use to mount the seat bases, I cut off the ones I couldn't. I then drilled and bolted the seats down with backing plates underneath, using grade 8 hardware. That makes 3 layers of steel spreading the load, counting the extra mounting of the upfitter's floor plate. The lap belt and receivers are part of the seat base, the shoulder belts mount in the original position using unmodified factory seat belt parts. I think there's pics in my gallery.

Wow!!! Good job man that's almost exactly I would do grade 8 hardware and use more steel to reinforce the floor and the seats thank you so much for your advice!!!
Original Poster [OP]
VANDAYUM
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » January 18th 2021, 4:03pm

My conversion van also had the steel plates the seats mounted to, but the seat belts looked to mount to factory points. The rear most seat the receivers mounted to the floor and the uppers to brackets sandwiched to the top on either side.
The middle seat upper belts bolted to the pillars with a nut behind them.
I'd actually been looking at removing those from mine as I have no use for them and lug that the belt bolted to protrudes down a bit.
I'll post a pic in a bit.
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby VANDAYUM [OP] » January 18th 2021, 5:06pm

AstroOafAdventurer wrote:My conversion van also had the steel plates the seats mounted to, but the seat belts looked to mount to factory points. The rear most seat the receivers mounted to the floor and the uppers to brackets sandwiched to the top on either side.
The middle seat upper belts bolted to the pillars with a nut behind them.
I'd actually been looking at removing those from mine as I have no use for them and lug that the belt bolted to protrudes down a bit.
I'll post a pic in a bit.

I can't wait!!!
Original Poster [OP]
VANDAYUM
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)