Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Anyone modded or done anything unique with their ashtray?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  CopperFiremist 
#1 ·
The ashtray in our van is unused. Has anyone done anything unique or helpful with their ashtray, or removed the ashtray and replaced it with something?

It just feels like a waste in a tiny camper where every bit of space counts - I'm hoping there might be some good ideas out there!

Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, since you asked; Yes, I have.
I installed two low profile rocker switches, in the ash tray, on a piece of acrylic. The wires come out through a hole drilled in the back and go to a terminal strip for future connections.
One switch is planned for an 'anti-theft' kill switch ( not yet connected) . The other has no specific application, so is a 'spare' for now. It might get used for controlling a relay for a fog light or one of those obnoxious overhead LED light bars if I ever decide to install a proper rack to which I can mount it.

Rod J
Issaquah, WA

#3 ·
Oooo, I like that anti-theft kill switch location, who'd think to look in there? Now I'm pondering what James Bond type of devices I could control from my ashtray switches...

-Andrew

#7 ·
Another idea...make the second switch turn on a siren!
If the perp hits the wrong one, he gets a siren instead!
Or put an obvious ( dummy) switch on the dash, that is mis-labelled 'FUEL' or 'IGNITION', but makes use of a DPDT switch, such that if switched, it cuts off the fuel pump and starts a siren! If you have an auxiliary battery the alarm could be powered from that, so if a main battery cable was cut, the alarm/siren would still be powered.
There are many other ways to really mess with a perps head!
Rod J

#9 ·
Rod's Trucks said:
One switch is planned for an 'anti-theft' kill switch ( not yet connected).
This has me thinking of a switch at the back that disables the starter, would be hidden and you would just have to pull out the ash tray a bit for the starter to be enabled. Would be a pretty stealthy way to add a small hurdle for a would be thief.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.