Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1996 maroon interior dash is old+ugly-best way to refinish

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  LumaWJ 
#1 ·
I just bought a 96 awd cargo van...it has red maroon plastic interior...its old and ratty and unappealing...not cracked or anything, just looks like the color is fading here and there plus its maroon...I would like to see/hear some ideas on the best way to refinish, cover, replacement options...I cannot find a glovebox door in maroon anyways!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The maroon interior on 2nd gen vans is very rare - hence the difficulty finding the glove box door.... When I was looking for my van, I wanted one with a maroon interior so bad....

Ultimately of course I ended up with one that had the standard ugly grey/beige/greige interior, so I recolored it black.... I used the water-based leather/vinyl dyes that can be bought from Leatherique, Leather World Tech and others... I've used both brands and they've held up very well for many years.... They can be brushed on, which made it easy to do the dash, which would be hard to mask for spraying.... On the other hand, brushing was hard for things like the AC vents, so in retrospect, I would have sprayed those parts....

Other folks recommend the spray dyes from SEM and get good results - the downside is that they are quite toxic to use and you have to mask very carefully before spraying....

Either way, you can make your dash whatever color you'd like and make your glove box match too.... It will be like driving a new van....

#3 ·
good advice thx...maybe I will refinish in the same color...

#4 ·
I only looked online for the glovebox door, I still have some salvage yards around town, and out in Chattanooga, I might get lucky and find red. The Armtests and handlegrab are actually 100% good.
I am also looking for a swivel light switch as my switch doesn't seem to want to click, like the spring inside the button is shot. Swivel light fixtures are different than the 2000 model. Sorry no photos, trying to pick up my tags today. I bought it with a title snafu, last owner never titled it. BUT I found the original owner, 80 years old..he was thrilled to hear about the van and I went over the border to TN and he signed an affidafit of Correction on the Title, I hired a mobile notary and now I am off to the tag office.

#5 ·
I ended up ordering SEM Napa Red...we'll see how it matches

#6 ·
You may go to any hardware store that as a paint scanner ,bring a non faded flat piece of trim , they scan it and it comes out exactly like the original color and i mean exactly ,it did in my case anyway , apply with foam roller and voila ,and since its interior regular latex paint its not expensive at all ,they may even give you a sample to test on the back of a trim , you dont have to take any trim off ,it wont spray all over the place and its safe for kidds and such .

#7 ·
latex paint wont hold up with my dogs....it isn't a house

#9 ·
show me one you painted with house paint....

#10 ·
GaryMacGuyver said:
latex paint wont hold up with my dogs....it isn't a house
GaryMacGuyver said:
I ended up ordering SEM Napa Red...we'll see how it matches
GaryMacGuyver said:
show me one you painted with house paint....
Geez dude, that's not very friendly with that attitude.
What do you think SEM's paint medium is formulated from?

#11 ·
seriously---show me---if you are going to answer with using house paint then lets see one you did...oh, you have not used it u just recommend it?

#12 ·
Paint terminology thrown around a bit loosely.

I've been building Custom Rides for over 40 years, (see FrankenRodz FB Page), and in my opinion big difference between Latex and Acrylic! Latex will not hold up.

Go to your Home Centre or Auto Parts Store and buy Rattle Can Paint for Plastic. I always spray an Adhesion Promoter first. It basically lays down a surface that allows the paint to bite.

Clean thoroughly with Alcohol first.

Here's a pic of one I did...

Attachments

#13 ·
SheldonYoung said:
Go to your Home Centre or Auto Parts Store and buy Rattle Can Paint for Plastic. I always spray an Adhesion Promoter first. It basically lays down a surface that allows the paint to bite.

Clean thoroughly with Alcohol first.

Here's a pic of one I did...
Due to my my problem with fire in the van I will be doing the same. All the plastic will be sprayied with rattle can with paint for plastic. I tested it and works grate. What is nice you can choose colour, which you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.