Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1996 Steering wheel compatibility? I'm down to bare metal!

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mmusicman 
#1 ·
TOO GRUESOME TO SHOW-even to adults! My recently purchased 1996 AWD Cargo van has the top half of the steering wheel down to bare metal-only to be rigged with a few rolls of duct tape (electrical tape actually) and some coat-hanger wire or something wrapped around ..simply too horrible for human eyes -one look and it will turn you to stone!
I can't stand it any longer-considering a junkyard replacement but no 1996 models close...Any compatibility with other year models or other chevys for that matter?
I am also considering an aftermarket wheel replacement ...no airbag..no problem for me, any problem to install?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1996 and 1997 show the same, 98 and up went to the smaller airbag. Not sure if that newer wheel might would work with the older air bag system though. Where are you located? I might still have a leather wrapped one from a 97 but shipping from Canada might kill any deal. No vans left in the scrap yards around you?

#3 ·
I'm in NW Georgia just across the Tennessee Border near Chattanooga...not a bunch of astros around here, not any good junkers anyways...still looking

#5 ·
nice bunch of vans btw thx...maybe we will do the chain link steering wheel like I had in one of my VWs

Attachments

#6 ·
I have the same Grant wheel as WoodButcher.. but my 92 didn't have an airbag.
If it were me with a Gen 2, I'd probably just buy same online or go pull one from a junkyard.

Engine-V8 92-Astro---IMG_4172a.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.