Replace dash 98 GMC Safari

Replace dash 98 GMC Safari

Postby Stevo_ [OP] » May 14th 2012, 4:10pm

Hi. The dash is really bad and lifted up from sitting in the sun for years. Someone tried to screw it down and fill with plastic filler. Also they broke the handle at the passenger side. I have a complete 2000 Astro dash I stripped out of my old van in perfect condition. This is everything including frame, wires, vents, tubes etc. Does anyone know if this dash can be used as a replacement excluding the cluster? Or if anyone has removed just the dash top itself how that is done. I could remove the 98 GMC dash partially and swap the tops out. Sounds like fun in any case and hopefully one of you have dealt with this?

Thanks so much for any suggestions. :)
89 Safari 60K
94 Astro Cargo 230K
2000 Astro 140K
Original Poster [OP]
Stevo_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Stevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • painted dash
    by vangogo » September 9th 2020, 4:18am in Interior
    5 Replies
    Last post by vangogo View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 3:49am
  • Cracked dash removal and replacement?
    by Jakob1994 » September 16th 2020, 8:35pm in Interior
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    January 11th 2021, 1:55pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 26th 2021, 8:28pm

Re: Replace dash 98 GMC Safari

Postby Stevo_ [OP] » January 13th 2013, 6:21am

I ended up installing the new dash, removed the wiring harness, taped everything off real good and cable tied harness in it's fixed channel areas in the dash frame. Looks like new!
89 Safari 60K
94 Astro Cargo 230K
2000 Astro 140K
Original Poster [OP]
Stevo_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Stevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full yearsStevo_ has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » January 13th 2013, 9:50am

I get to pull my dash this spring to fix a broken heater component...how long did it take to swap out the dash?
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby Stevo_ [OP] » February 1st 2013, 3:42am

It took maybe 3 hours to remove. It took me a day (because Itook my time) to remove the wiring harness from the old dash and install it in the new dash and then install the dash itself. You would not have to do this if using the same dash. I had no help at all and had to prop the dash on my knee once inside the van to hook it on one side then the other and it just drops in place. I also took time to remove all the vent tubes swap and cleaned them real good. I opened the heater AC air handler and cleaned it real good, removed some old foam that was disintegrating and replaced it.

One important thing, there is a Vehicle Theft Deterrent relearn procedure you may need to do if you disconnect the wiring harness. There is a small box above the radio in the 98 dash that has a plug that did not stay connected when I did the install. The vehicle will begin to start then shut off. I plugged it in again (taped it good). I then found the procedures on the cardone dot com site which takes about 30 minutes to relearn the security.

I removed the seats. The dash has 4 major bolts holding the frame. You pull the trim, radio, switches, bottom panels. The steering column drops out of the way. Pull the wire plugs, bell housing. One thing to note is you are going to need to disconnect part of the wiring harness outside the firewall that connects to cruise control and wipers if I recall and pull it inside the cab.

The dash now looks like new and original! Now I would like to cover the steering with leather. I am glad this job is done.
89 Safari 60K
94 Astro Cargo 230K
2000 Astro 140K
Original Poster [OP]
Stevo_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):