Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

captain seat quick release?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mervchapman 
#1 ·
Looking at buying a 99- 7 pass van that has the second row captain seats. I currently have a 92- 8 pass. and I like the ease of which I can remove the second and third row seats, also, I can fit a baby seat in the middle of the bench. My understanding is that the second row seats (captain) in the 7 pass do not come out easily for converting to full cargo. Can anyone with a 7 pass confirm this?... My questions are as follows....
1. Is it a real pain to remove and install the seats on a semi regular basis? (once a month or so)
2. I understand the floor section is completely different and a bench conversion is not easy to do...true?
3. Do the seat belts quickly unclip like on the 8 pass?
4.Will a baby seat fit better on the 7 or 8 pass interior?
4. Does anyone make a quick release system to remove the captain seats easily, a floor conversion for a bench seat, or are there really no options available?

thanks in advance for your responses :D

cheers

Bernie

See less See more
#2 ·
on standard 7 passenger vans with second row buckets , the seats are bolted to the floor like the front seats are. there is no quick release on these type vans. now the conversion vans come with quick release bases , if you can find one in the junk yards you could grab those bases & bolt them to the foor . in the pic you can see the floor plate , on the seat is another plate that snaps into the base .

#4 ·
I run my van with the second row removed 90% of the time. I have a 3/4" cordless power-ratchet (ingersol-rand). A 18mm deep socket with a universal joint used as a short extension. A few seconds each bolt and you're good-to-go. You could also use a cordless drill/ driver w/ a 3/4 " square bit if it's got speed control and you're careful not to tweak your wrists when torquing it. the seat-belt brackets etc will all come off no worries with the seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.