Separating seat from riser

Separating seat from riser

Postby tedanderson [OP] » August 13th 2012, 4:32am

Is there a way to separate the manual seats from the riser? I am in the market for a replacement of my driver's seat right now, but being that the passenger seat is in mint condition, I want to swap the left and right seats for now.

Anyhow, I know that the seat can be unbolted from the floor but when I took a closer look I noticed that the lower tracks are riveted into the riser. Is there a way that this can be detached? Preferably I'd like to be able to swap the seats without pulling the risers in the first place but if I have to pull them up to disassemble them, that's fine.

But what I didn't want to do is get the seatbelt latches on the wrong sides if this was the only way to swap seats.
Original Poster [OP]
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Seat belt anchor
    by plainolebill » July 14th 2020, 8:05pm in Interior
    4 Replies
    Last post by plainolebill View the latest post
    July 14th 2020, 10:07pm
  • Seat swap
    by Wokka » July 23rd 2020, 3:38am in Interior
    2 Replies
    Last post by Big_kid View the latest post
    July 23rd 2020, 1:46pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 3:49pm

Re: Separating seat from riser

Postby RECox286 » August 13th 2012, 4:56am

Remove both upholstered seats, leaving the metal part attached to the floor. Run the seat fully forward to get the rear bolts, and

full rearward to get to the front two bolts. Belt attachments stay put. Split the seat bottoms from the seat backs, keep the seat

backs in their respective positions, while rotating the seat bottoms left to right and right to left. Put everything back together and

start wearing out the new driver seat.

I've done this quite a few times over the course of many trucks/years. Keeps the seat back adjustment knob where it should be, and

the seatbelt attachments where they should be. The seat back doesn't usually wear out the way the seat bottom does.

Have fun and keep truck'n

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby tedanderson [OP] » August 13th 2012, 6:16am

Remove both upholstered seats, leaving the metal part attached to the floor.

Right. That's my question- How do I do that?

Run the seat fully forward to get the rear bolts, and full rearward to get to the front two bolts.

When I do this, all I see are rivets that hold the track to the seat riser. Can you explain in more detail?
Original Poster [OP]
tedanderson
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years

Postby ProStreet_LS1 » August 13th 2012, 10:31pm

4 13mm bolts up inside the sliding track, probably have to feel for them. Slide seat all the way forward to get to front two, slide seat all the way back to get to the back two.
1985 Pro Street Chevy Astro: parted, scrapped & upgraded to
1998 Pro Street Chevy Astro: Tubbed w/ 33x22 rear tires, 350 hp aluminum LS1 V8
PRO STREET 4 LIFE, GEARHEAD 4 LIFE
ProStreet_LS1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS1 V8 Pro Street

Postby Lumpy » August 14th 2012, 12:25am

At some point it's likely simpler to remove both seats and bases entirely, THEN find the bolts/rivets whatever, and remove the seat from the base on the bench instead of in the van.

3/8 air ratchet is a wonderful tool.. :rolling:

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby RECox286 » August 14th 2012, 3:40am

My original post, the answer to your original question post, was quite specific, in that I let you in on the secret handshake

and password: " Set the seat to full forward to access the rear two bolts, and then set the seat to full rearward to access the

front two bolts." Roll the dice, go directly to Jail, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Leave the metal part of the seat in

place. Don't make this harder than it is... (Ahhh, yis'll catch on fer sure, once you gits the idear.)

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby tedanderson [OP] » August 14th 2012, 11:40am

Hmmmm.. Ok. I found the front bolts by sliding the seat forward. (thanks Tbibadasstro) Now I see that there are bolts between the track and the seat. But the track is permanently attached to the riser. This shouldn't be that difficult to do but I may end up taking the whole thing out just so I can vacuum in the tight spots under the seat.

Thanks for your help guys! :thumbup:
Original Poster [OP]
tedanderson

Postby RECox286 » August 14th 2012, 7:18pm

I apologize Ted, I left my head (it screws on) on the bedside table when I ordered the absolute reverse of what I meant to write.

Seat full foward: front bolts, seat full rearward: rear bolts. ( Track is part of the metal bottom, not part of the upholstered seat.)

I'm quite ready for the obligitory walk to the woodshed, sir !

Uncle boB (See, i told you I neber make mistakes.)

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby tedanderson [OP] » August 15th 2012, 3:10am

Hmm.. this should do. :lol:
Attachments
pd.gif
pd.gif (37.74 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Original Poster [OP]
tedanderson

Postby chevymaher » August 15th 2012, 3:19am

tedanderson wrote:Hmm.. this should do. :lol:
paddle.jpg
paddle.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 877 times

Now that's funny I don't care who you are.
My old gym teacher saying right now. That's a nice paddle. Where is Maher so I can try it out.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Seb » January 20th 2013, 2:23am

Just wanted to say thank you Uncle Bob, I changed mine over this afternoon. 160k miles had taken there toll.
Seb
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Seb has been a member for 7 full yearsSeb has been a member for 7 full yearsSeb has been a member for 7 full yearsSeb has been a member for 7 full yearsSeb has been a member for 7 full yearsSeb has been a member for 7 full yearsSeb has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Seb
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: SLX 4.3 V6 RWD 1995