2000, Steering Wheel Removal

2000, Steering Wheel Removal

Postby gmtofd [OP] » October 23rd 2008, 12:54pm

Seems that it's needed to remove the steering wheel on my 2000 Astro, to r&r the ign switch and was wondering how difficult it is to get the wheel off. Guess the wheel comes off in order to remove the steering column plastic?

I realize the battery needs to first be disconnected, so the air bag this not go off, and a puller is needed for getting the wheel off, but does anyone have any other steps that are needed, so nothing gets damaged?

Thanks for any responses.
Original Poster [OP]
gmtofd
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: gmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Quick Release Steering wheel
    by Slime » August 28th 2020, 5:26pm in Interior
    3 Replies
    Last post by icebrrg3rd View the latest post
    August 28th 2020, 8:03pm
  • Gauge cluster removal
    by Greenacarina » July 31st 2020, 12:51am in Interior
    0 Replies
    Last post by Greenacarina View the latest post
    July 31st 2020, 12:51am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 28th 2020, 12:40pm

Re: 2000, Steering Wheel Removal

Postby gmtofd [OP] » October 28th 2008, 12:21pm

Seems in order to remove the ign switch, the lock cylinder needs to also be removed, and the steering wheel definitely has to come off in order to remove the lock cylinder.

Can anyone help me with steering wheel removal for my 2000 Astro?

Thanks for any responses.
Original Poster [OP]
gmtofd
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: gmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full yearsgmtofd has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » October 28th 2008, 1:25pm

Hi gmtofd
First and foremost disconnect the battery. Once that is done, then disable the the air bag system. It's a yellow wire half way down the steering column which you will see a plug-in at that point. Remove the plastic safety pin and pull that plug apart.
Then move up to the steering wheel itself. Their are 4 bolts holding the center piece in place behind the steering wheel, You will need a mirror to locate them. Once located remove those 4 bolts holding the horn console (center piece) in place and remove it.

-Now the air bag system will be exposed, Unplug any wires from the unit and horn, remove the unit. Once everything their has been removed and out of the way, then remove the center wheel retaining nut. Once that is removed,EDIT>> Mark the steering wheel in relation to the steering wheel shaft<<EDIT, then use a steering wheel puller (a must have) to remove the steering wheel .

-Once the wheel is out of the way, lower the tilt wheel (If you have one) to the half way position.
-Remove the shift lever seal from upper and lower shrouds.
-Remove the Tilt Wheel lever.
-Remove the 4 (I believe) retaining screws holding the 2 covers together (from the bottom) and remove the lower cover.
-Lift the upper cover up, and with a bent tip awl, insert the tip into the the ignition lock cylinder access hole.
-Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the "Start" position.
-Using the bent tip awl, push down on the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin.
-Release the ignition lock cylinder to the "Run" position.
-Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the lock module assembly by pulling away from the column.

Installing the Ignition Lock Cylinder:
-Insert the ignition lock cylinder through the upper shroud.
-Align the positioning slot and locking tab slot on the lock module assembly to the positioning tab and locking tab
on the ignition lock cylinder.
-Push the ignition lock cylinder into the lock module assembly until the locking tab locks against the lock module.

The rest is just the reverse as mentioned above.

Note: I don't know if you have the "Pass Lock" or "Theft Deterrent " devise installed in your vehicle or not, if you do, then you may have to reprogram it again in the "Re-Learn" mode to my understanding, but I'm not sure if it applies here or not. Above is the instructions you asked for. Hope this helps. :)

PS: Warning!! When hooking the battery back up, make "certain" their is no person sitting in front of the Drivers side or passenger side air bags. (You just never know). Hope this helps.
Last edited by Matrixx on October 30th 2008, 10:07am, edited 1 time in total.
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby gmtofd [OP] » October 29th 2008, 1:04pm

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed response.

Been looking under the steering wheel for fasteners to remove, and can't spot anything. I'll have a closer look.
Original Poster [OP]
gmtofd
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » October 30th 2008, 9:08am

Hi gmtofd
I don't know what your trying to disconnect, but the center piece restraining bolts are located behind or in back of the steering wheel which you will need a mirror to see them. I can't recall if they are a Torx or bolt head to them sorry, It's been 3 or 4 years since I did mine.

Note: Also A side note in the steering wheel removal, is to try to mark the steering wheel position in relation to the shaft you pull the wheel from. Hope this helps. :)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby gmtofd [OP] » November 16th 2008, 4:24am

Was finally able to remove the air bag from the steering wheel. For the 2000 model year Astro, the air bag is released by placing a screwdriver or awl around the back of the wheel to unhook the spring from notched guide. There are two of these guides, and a slot for each guide. The spring is moved, I think toward the center of the steering column.

Normally a puller is need to remove the steering wheel, but was able to just yank it off, saving me a trip to Pep Boys to rent their wheel puller.

A special elongated socket is needed to remove the two E4 fasteners, that secure the ign switch to the lock cylinder housing. Lisle makes the socket and their part # is 27490. Match the position of the new ign switch tang to the old one before inserting on to lock cylinder housing.
Original Poster [OP]
gmtofd
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » November 17th 2008, 9:28am

Hi gmtofd
I can see their are some slight differences, the main thing is the job is done. Thanks for the update. :)
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby gmtofd [OP] » November 17th 2008, 11:17pm

The only problem from doing the job is that the "air bag" is always on.

Maybe there's some way of resetting the computer so the light turns off?

I'll try reseating the fuse. Pulled it before removing the air bag.
Original Poster [OP]
gmtofd
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):