Help with removing interior driver's door panel?

Help with removing interior driver's door panel?

Postby petquality [OP] » November 5th 2008, 2:21am

Hi all,

I've searched around in the forum here and elsewhere on the internet but can't find an answer to this one. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I need to replace the driver's side power window motor in my 1995 Astro. I've found a source for the motor and have a good sense from the board as to how to remove and replace it. But the one piece of the puzzle I'm missing is how to remove the door panel.

I've found just enough info to suggest that there are clips that hold it in, and that they're somewhat fragile. Beyond that I haven't a clue where to start. I could have sworn that last time I contemplated this repair - a few years back - I found a guy's website where he did the whole repair and documented it with lots of photos. Naturally I can't find that again now that I actually need it :roll:

So - anyone know where I can find good detailed info on removing and replacing the interior driver's door panel?

Thanks in advance!
Original Poster [OP]
petquality
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: petquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Which specific interior dye matches RUBY interior dashboard?
    by GaryMacGuyver » April 4th 2021, 1:30pm in Interior
    1 Replies
    Last post by gavio View the latest post
    April 4th 2021, 4:06pm
  • Removing Seatbelts
    by ohboyyy » March 11th 2021, 2:37pm in Interior
    2 Replies
    Last post by highfigh View the latest post
    March 11th 2021, 4:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 23rd 2021, 6:47am

Re: Help with removing interior driver's door panel?

Postby Matrixx » November 5th 2008, 3:50am

Hi petquality
Hope this helps:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09 ... oPages.htm
The other links are on the right hand side. Follow the links in sequence to get the full details of removing the power window motor. Hope this helps. :)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » November 5th 2008, 3:58am

I just took a few pics of my 95 Astro, I'll put them in my photobucket acct in a few minutes. The door panel was loose when I got it. I opened it up to reconnect the door handle and I haven't put it back together completely yet.

pics:
http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... ro%20door/

Remove the screws in the armrest. Check the area around the inside door handle for screws. Mine were mostly missing when I got it. If your door has aftermarket speakers added in, you may have to remove them or at least the grille first.

Gently pull on the bottom edge of the panel. (There is a specialty tool available for this. I have one, somewhere or other. I doubt I've ever used it.) You'll feel where the "Christmas Tree" fasteners are. This is where you put the puller(if you use it). GENTLY pull on both sides of the "tree". When it comes loose, go on to the next one. Continue until they're all loose. There's likely one up by the mirror too, IIRC. When you've got them all, you will be able to pull the bottom of the panel away from the door.

Once they're loose lift up on the panel. This will get it out of the window opening. Remove the window & lock switches from their mounts and the panel is now free.

YMMV

Good luck! :ugeek:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby petquality [OP] » November 5th 2008, 4:38am

Much obliged! I'll try this out and report back how it goes...
Original Poster [OP]
petquality
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: petquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full yearspetquality has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):