Dash grab handle

Dash grab handle

Postby alexalexanders [OP] » February 11th 2013, 4:07am

the handle on the dash passenger side above airbag is cracked. How does it come off? Mine is cracked at the base and im goin to the pnp this weekend to get a new one. :ty:
ImageImage
2000 GMC Safari SLE
Original Poster [OP]
alexalexanders
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: alexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 80
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3 Vortec

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • painted dash
    by vangogo » September 9th 2020, 4:18am in Interior
    5 Replies
    Last post by vangogo View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 3:49am
  • Cracked dash removal and replacement?
    by Jakob1994 » September 16th 2020, 8:35pm in Interior
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    January 11th 2021, 1:55pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 11:24pm

Re: Dash grab handle

Postby Herman Wiegman » February 11th 2013, 5:21am

Ummm don't rightfully know, :think:
no obvious, or not so obvious screw covers?
if not, then perhaps a looksie from the back side for retaining bolts is in order.

but I suspect if you hit the back of your garage at 15 mph,
the air bag should deploy and perhaps the handle will come off...
tell us how that goes :lol:
Herminator, Niskayuna, NY.......1999 Safari 4.3L SLE (RWD)
Eaton Gov Lok LSD 3.23:1.........Timbren bump stops
Monster 4L60E rebuild ..............Electric fan & FelPro gaskets
Herman Wiegman
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Herman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Herminator
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L RWD

Postby Corsemoto » February 11th 2013, 5:44am

Yeah, apparently it's not really a grab handle after all, not designed to support any amount of weight that's for sure. I replaced mine with one from PnP yard and it wasn't too bad. You have to remove some trim and the airbag (to be on the safe side, disconnect battery awhile before attempting to remove airbag, and don't be in front of it when removing...) to gain access.

The non-handle has threaded inserts with nuts on the backside of the dash, you'll probably find that some of the inner dash plastic has broken as well. I epoxied the area, reinforced with fender washers epoxied in place and installed the new used non-handle. I don't let anyone touch that non-handle ornamental trim piece in my van, and tell them that's what the grab handle on the a-pillar is for.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Hank » April 19th 2013, 2:25pm

I wanted to chime in and ask a quick question on this. Mine is a late model, 2003 and the handle is a little loose, the vibration noise is bugging me.

I've removed the kickplate and the screws for the vents but I see that the airbag module covers the vents.

Is the airbag module held in with the two bolts that are visible by looking upwards from the bottom. On a small angled bracket.

And obviously, disconnect the battery before doing anything right?

EDIT

For future readers, I found a nice little video on YouTube that discusses this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6XUkgKEiUQ
Camaro eating, trailer dragging 2003 AWD tuned with hptuners.
See http://www.hptuners.com
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11225
Balancing by http://www.innovativebalancing.com
Hank
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Hank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full yearsHank has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby ChrisL » April 21st 2013, 7:03pm

That's a good video, but at least on my 2000 Astro, it wasn't necessary to remove the vents. And do keep your head away from the front or rear of the airbag when handling it.
ChrisL
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: ChrisL has been a member for 7 full yearsChrisL has been a member for 7 full yearsChrisL has been a member for 7 full yearsChrisL has been a member for 7 full yearsChrisL has been a member for 7 full yearsChrisL has been a member for 7 full yearsChrisL has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS 4.3L RWD

Postby 95AstroLT » October 18th 2020, 4:57pm

Hank - good video, thanks for the link. Had JY replacement for our 97 but tore up donor dash because I didn't know what I was doing. Vents on ours had interference with the airbag so clearly it had do come out. Turns out airbag remove/replace was simple and after that replacing the grab bar was a breeze!
Now the replacement part that had been in the garage for over a year is on the car.
Attachments
Grab bar 2.JPG
1995 Astro LT 303,000 miles
1997 Safari SLE 207,000 mi
Other cars: 67 GTO, 72 Grand Prix, 79 Catalina, 94 Olds 88 LSS
95AstroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: 95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Bill B
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: LT

Postby 95AstroLT » October 18th 2020, 5:02pm

ChrisL wrote:That's a good video, but at least on my 2000 Astro, it wasn't necessary to remove the vents. And do keep your head away from the front or rear of the airbag when handling it.

Right! Some had mentioned a method of grab bar replacement via only removing the vents, but sides of ours were tucked behind the airbag. Once the airbag was out I did remove the vents but, as on yours, on our 97 Safari it wasn't necessary.
1995 Astro LT 303,000 miles
1997 Safari SLE 207,000 mi
Other cars: 67 GTO, 72 Grand Prix, 79 Catalina, 94 Olds 88 LSS
95AstroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: 95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Bill B
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: LT